The Student Room Group

Do other introverts feel this way?

I always have this crippling fear that the people I know are mocking me inside their heads.

I obsessively worry about what the people I know think about me. I do not have many friends but I worry about how the people I am in contact perceive me. Even if they are not close friends of mine. It doesn't affect me during the interaction, moreso afterwards.

I often feel overexposed- I experience strong feelings of shame and embarrassment that persist throughout the day. I have the immediate urge to somehow just hide. This causes me to clench my jaw and I often experience migraines as a result. This is also accompanied by that heart sinking feeling you get when you trip up.

I do not usually make threads on whim, but just needed to get this off my chest as I just broke down earlier

Anyone experiencing something similar?

Edit: I am not just 'feeling insecure', I am diagnosed with Social Anxiety and Avoidant Personality Disorder. It's affected me since I was very young.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queenofswords
I always have this crippling fear that the people I know are mocking me inside their heads.

I obsessively worry about what the people I know think about me.

Ex Introvert here and yes remember a feeling like that before.....

Consider this, while you think if someones judging you for something youve done/said/how you look THEYVE ALREADY JUDGED YOU FOR IT, scary huh?

but that's the pure truth, we make judgements within 5 secs of seeing someone (let alone talking to them) , so since its gonna happen, let them judge for better or worse but DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. you CANT CHANGE THEIR MIND ANYWAY so roll with it, and own it.

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ForestShadow
Ex Introvert here and yes I felt strongly like that just remember

Consider this, while you think if someones judging you for something youve done/said/how you look THEYVE ALREADY JUDGED YOU FOR IT, scary huh?

but that's the pure truth, we make judgements within 5 secs of seeing someone (let alone talking to them) , so since its gonna happen, let them judge for better or worse but DONT WORRY ABOUT IT. you CANT CHANGE THEIR MIND ANYWAY so roll with it, and own it.

I like the fatalism of your words, I wish to eventually attain the same level of indifference as you on day.
I like the fatalism of your words, I wish to eventually attain the same level of indifference as you on day.

the confidence is gained exponentially :h:

just keep going and keep trying to get stronger :h:
Not to your extremes, however I still ruminate about how I must look to other people sometimes. I can't make :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: out of thin air like other people can, I can only say something if I have something to add or say, but that doesn't mean I still don't like social interaction, unless it is very forced on me and pointless. So there's often times I am not able to reciprocate what I think the other person expects when they approach me and I can only give them a blank stare or a deadpan response, and then I watch them fluster and change their tune and behaviour towards me and I know why, but, the thing is I know I could not have imagined it turning out any other way. It does upset me a little if I made them uncomfortable and their impression of me causes them to find me unapproachable but at the same time I know nothing can be done with it and will rather just wait till they can get over it.

I don't know if any of this is relevant to your thread but I felt like sharing this.

I obsessively worry about what the people I know think about me. I do not have many friends but I worry about how the people I am in contact perceive me. Even if they are not close friends of mine. It doesn't affect me during the interaction, moreso afterwards.

I often feel overexposed- I experience strong feelings of shame and embarrassment that persist throughout the day. I have the immediate urge to somehow just hide. This causes me to clench my jaw and I often experience migraines as a result. This is also accompanied by that heart sinking feeling you get when you trip up.

I do not usually make threads on whim, but just needed to get this off my chest as I just broke down earlier

:hugs:
I can certainly relate to this, as you know now I guess :tongue: :smile:

insecure people always care what other thinks, stop being insecure and get more social interaction
Original post by CraigBackner
insecure people always care what other thinks, stop being insecure and get more social interaction

Stop being insecure? Do you also tell depressed people to stop being depressed? And anorexic people to 'just eat'?

Mate its not that easy, if it was I wouldn't waste time at therapy, I wouldn't waste money on medication.
Original post by TreeFellOnMe
Not to your extremes, however I still ruminate about how I must look to other people sometimes. I can't make :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: out of thin air like other people can, I can only say something if I have something to add or say, but that doesn't mean I still don't like social interaction, unless it is very forced on me and pointless. So there's often times I am not able to reciprocate what I think the other person expects when they approach me and I can only give them a blank stare or a deadpan response, and then I watch them fluster and change their tune and behaviour towards me and I know why, but, the thing is I know I could not have imagined it turning out any other way. It does upset me a little if I made them uncomfortable and their impression of me causes them to find me unapproachable but at the same time I know nothing can be done with it and will rather just wait till they can get over it.

I don't know if any of this is relevant to your thread but I felt like sharing this.

Thanks for sharing. :smile: It is relevant we're both experiencing a form of of social anxiety. It's the common theme of rumination and not 'feeling 'good enough' for people.
Reply 9
I do. I also fear about impressions I made about me etx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: I am not just 'feeling insecure', I am diagnosed with Social Anxiety and Avoidant Personality Disorder. It's affected me since I was very young.

Oh my god stop it, Just the thought of the situations makes my face go red, that's another thing which I have as well as just all of what you said. Like my face goes bright red and I'm extremely self-conscious.It's so annoying, and some class-mates are like "why're you going red?" when I'm in awkward situations.. like **** OFF.
tbh i thought this was how everyone felt, some to a slightly lesser extent, some greater
Ex Introvert here

How did you change? :smile:
Original post by GreenBell
How did you change? :smile:

confidence from my hobby bboying and realising ppl will always judge and theres nothing you can do about it :h:

also just tried to talk more in every situation
confidence from my hobby bboying and realising ppl will always judge and theres nothing you can do about it :h:

also just tried to talk more in every situation

Ahh okay makes sense. Good for you :smile:
Original post by Governah
Oh my god stop it, Just the thought of the situations makes my face go red, that's another thing which I have as well as just all of what you said. Like my face goes bright red and I'm extremely self-conscious.It's so annoying, and some class-mates are like "why're you going red?" when I'm in awkward situations.. like **** OFF.

That sounds horrific :frown:
Luckily because of my yellow skin tone, I do not go red.

But every :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing situation, even chats and telephone conversations I keep thinking about what I said and how I appeared and cringe afterwards. After its happened :frown:
Most of my inferiority complexes come from how I view myself and the people around me, not how I feel other people think about me. The main source of my introvertedness for me personally (I don't think I'm really a full blown introvert at all) from the fact that I find social interaction and talking completely exhausting.
That sounds horrific :frown:
Luckily because of my yellow skin tone, I do not go red.

But every :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing situation, even chats and telephone conversations I keep thinking about what I said and how I appeared and cringe afterwards. After its happened :frown:

OH MY GOD STOP, AND THEN I START HATING MYSELF FOR IT and start critiquing everything I said and IT STAYS ON MY MIND FOR LIKE WEEKS
Omg yes this is how I feel. Like even if Im just sitting there doing work I still feel like the people in my class are judging/mocking me/talking about me in some negative way.
Is it an introvert thing... i was sure that I am an introvert but I don't feel like this...
Maybe occasionally, less so now.

Quick Reply

Latest