The Student Room Group

Returning to College at 25

Hi all,

I left school in 2008 with 7 Grade B-C GCSE’s and due to having an interest in cars I signed up for a 2 year Motor Mechanics course at college rather than do 6th Form with the hope of finding full time work at the end. After finishing the course I struggled to find a job in a garage due to lack of experience outside college and a few mechanics advised me to go back to education and learn something else as they hated their jobs!

I looked at various courses and decided on a Level 3 BTEC in Business Studies with the hope of going to Uni at the end. I started off reasonably well but by the second year depression and anxiety had got hold of me but I plodded on and passed the course, although not with the most impressive of results. I gave up on the Uni idea as I feared I may end up dropping out.

Since 2012 I've worked in dead end warehouse and retail jobs and have now become very anxious about my future. It seems the only way to better my employment prospects is to return to education- Having a lifelong interest in classic cars I'm considering returning to college to complete the Level 3 Diploma Motor Mechanics course, which serves as an access course to Uni.

Has anyone on here done a full time college course as a mature student? Thanks in advance.
I am friends with alot of mature students in my college and they are great. Just do what you want. Why would being mature at college be bad?

Original post by DRH92
Hi all,

I left school in 2008 with 7 Grade B-C GCSE’s and due to having an interest in cars I signed up for a 2 year Motor Mechanics course at college rather than do 6th Form with the hope of finding full time work at the end. After finishing the course I struggled to find a job in a garage due to lack of experience outside college and a few mechanics advised me to go back to education and learn something else as they hated their jobs!

I looked at various courses and decided on a Level 3 BTEC in Business Studies with the hope of going to Uni at the end. I started off reasonably well but by the second year depression and anxiety had got hold of me but I plodded on and passed the course, although not with the most impressive of results. I gave up on the Uni idea as I feared I may end up dropping out.

Since 2012 I've worked in dead end warehouse and retail jobs and have now become very anxious about my future. It seems the only way to better my employment prospects is to return to education- Having a lifelong interest in classic cars I'm considering returning to college to complete the Level 3 Diploma Motor Mechanics course, which serves as an access course to Uni.

Has anyone on here done a full time college course as a mature student? Thanks in advance.
Original post by DRH92
Hi all,

Although you might have doubts it should be pretty straightforward. As an older student (not that old) then you have more experience and you know why you are there. It is simply a case of applying yourself , doing the work and getting the qualification. Do the research and make sure that completing this course will open the doors you want it to. If you have any academic weaknesses, then have a plan on how you will deal with them. You talked about depression an anxiety before, so make sure you know how to deal with them.

Doing exams and qualifications is just learning and applying yourself plus realising it takes a certain amount of effort and time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending