The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Using Steam at University of Southampton?

Hi guys,

Going to either Surrey or Southampton Uni and was wondering if steam / online gaming was allowed in dorms?

Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by awilds26
Hi guys,

Going to either Surrey or Southampton Uni and was wondering if steam / online gaming was allowed in dorms?

Cheers

Yeah its not a problem. The ping is pretty low too. I get around 5-20 on CSGO at Southampton
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by TajwarC
Yeah its not a problem. The ping is pretty low too. I get around 5-20 on CSGO at Southampton

Sweet, what about downloading games etc. are they strict about downloading 100s of GBs or streaming and that?
Reply 3
Sweet, what about downloading games etc. are they strict about downloading 100s of GBs or streaming and that?

I downloaded GTA which was like 70GB without any problems. Although my friend told me he got told off (via email) for torrenting lol. Streaming should be fine too
Reply 4
Original post by TajwarC
I downloaded GTA which was like 70GB without any problems. Although my friend told me he got told off (via email) for torrenting lol. Streaming should be fine too

Haha thanks for quick replies.
One final q: what types of d/l speeds to you get through steam? Stuck on 1Mb/s at home which is as fun as you can imagine
Reply 5
Haha thanks for quick replies.
One final q: what types of d/l speeds to you get through steam? Stuck on 1Mb/s at home which is as fun as you can imagine

Umm I think around 20-30 down, possibly more as I can't remember exactly. Speedtest.net is saying 775mbps down and 749mbps up although bandwidth can be an issue when there's loads of people using the internet. It's never been an issue but don't expect to be downloading things at those speeds lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending