The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do a chill PhD?

hi,

i've always been quite a relaxed student, quietly getting the work done but not putting in insane hours, bunking a few seminars to do something fun instead, maybe sacrificing a first in an essay because i went out for dinner rather than going to the library. i've comfortably gotten through my undergrad (and now finishing my masters) with a high 2.1 and high merits/distinctions from decent unis.

Now I'm thinking of doing a PhD, although a lot things i've read and a lot of things I've heard have kinda terrified me into thinking it's going to be three years of thesis, thesis, thesis, crazy hours, stressed out, sacrificing life to write the dissertation. I'm obviously prepared to put a lot of hours in and get the work done - especially because I'd be passionate about the subject but I really don't want to spend three years of my life manic and panicked and not being able to do nice things for the sake of my diss.

I don't want to go into academia as a career, i'm going into the museum sector so am planning a phd to get a good curatorial job and also spend another few years being *free* from the confines of a 9-5 office.

so i guess my question is, is it possible to do a chilled out phd where you can go to the library for a good few hours, put a decent chunk of work in, write a decent thesis while still being able to go on holiday take plenty of evenings off and not have a nervous breakdown? Or is it not right for me, and should I just not do it and go into the world of the 9-5s?
Original post by alex.....
hi,

i've always been quite a relaxed student, quietly getting the work done but not putting in insane hours, bunking a few seminars to do something fun instead, maybe sacrificing a first in an essay because i went out for dinner rather than going to the library. i've comfortably gotten through my undergrad (and now finishing my masters) with a high 2.1 and high merits/distinctions from decent unis.

Now I'm thinking of doing a PhD, although a lot things i've read and a lot of things I've heard have kinda terrified me into thinking it's going to be three years of thesis, thesis, thesis, crazy hours, stressed out, sacrificing life to write the dissertation. I'm obviously prepared to put a lot of hours in and get the work done - especially because I'd be passionate about the subject but I really don't want to spend three years of my life manic and panicked and not being able to do nice things for the sake of my diss.

I don't want to go into academia as a career, i'm going into the museum sector so am planning a phd to get a good curatorial job and also spend another few years being *free* from the confines of a 9-5 office.

so i guess my question is, is it possible to do a chilled out phd where you can go to the library for a good few hours, put a decent chunk of work in, write a decent thesis while still being able to go on holiday take plenty of evenings off and not have a nervous breakdown? Or is it not right for me, and should I just not do it and go into the world of the 9-5s?

In theory, yes, absolutely - from what I understand from the PhD students in my department, it's a marathon, not a sprint, and there's no need to burn yourself out. You have to work hard, but I don't think it needs to be a 3-year panicfest if you have healthy work habits - which it sounds like you have, and which I applaud (nothing more tiresome than being surrounded by people who have no life beyond their academic work). I have a similar style of working to you, actually, although perhaps not quite as relaxed.

However - no offence intended, but it doesn't sound like you're particularly invested in the idea of doing a PhD. This will probably come through to selection committees during the application process, and you will be competing with people whose commitment radiates off them like cosmic rays. Doing a PhD is a slog, no matter how you slice it, and if anybody gets a whiff that you might not have the minerals to complete your course, they will avoid you like the plague.

I am also very grateful to be going into a PhD next year and escaping the enforced 9-5 - but for me, that's a perk rather than my principal reason to do it (I also like to work around a rough 9-5 schedule anyway, to discipline myself). You will need self-control and commitment, and unless you are really passionate about the PhD itself, I'd advise don't bother - at best, it's a waste of time spent applying, at worst a big waste of money. Good luck whatever you decide, though.
I'm currently not a PhD student however from hearing from my friends I understand that it takes up a lot of time, money and effort so if you aren't going to academia, or doing it to mainly to escape the working lifestyle then it probably isn't the best path.

Perhaps give it more thought. Is it necessary to get a PhD for your career aspirations? Could you instead get work experience after your masters and get to the same job you want? If so then I wouldn't bother with a PhD because it is expensive, unless you manage to get it fully funded, but that itself is difficult to achieve and if you're not certain about the course then it'll show on your application.

Good luck!
Stop being a lazy sod.
Original post by AishaKaffir
Stop being a lazy sod.

It sounds like a PhD is the wrong​ choice for OP, but at least they are honest. It's not a moral failing to want a more relaxed lifestyle. As a society we could do with less of the Protestant work ethic imho.
Original post by tomv46
It sounds like a PhD is the wrong​ choice for OP, but at least they are honest. It's not a moral failing to want a more relaxed lifestyle. As a society we could do with less of the Protestant work ethic imho.

As a society we could do with more of the Islamic work ethic.
Original post by AishaKaffir
As a society we could do with more of the Islamic work ethic.

Hyuk hyuk.

I did. Doing a PhD was way easier than my previous career, it was the 3 years of weekends I hadn;t taken in the previous 17 years of employment. I played loads of sport whenever I wanted, attended lectures for about 6 undergrad courses per term, and went to whatever additional lectures around the Uni I fancied. Every couple of weeks or so I'd binge on 24-48 hours of work on writing the essay that was my PhD.
The actual original work was only a relatively small portion of the effort - and it wasn't much effort because it was a subject I was interested in and wanted to research, say about 30-40%. The other 60-70% of the PhD time was structuring, shaping chapters, editing, references, layout, finessing the argument, finding key quotes etc. It was all very enjoyable and quite relaxing.
Reply 8
hi,

I found my PhD much more relaxed than my Masters, apart from points around deadlines. A Masters is a sprint where a PhD is a marathon. The trick to a PhD is trying to maintain some kind of longer-term focus on your research. Most people end up wanting to scoop their eyes out with a rusty spoon at one point or another during a PhD. If you're not fully invested at the start, then you're really going to struggle.

Although as a PhD is (probably) mandatory for curatorships, then you don't have much choice. Having said that, you're likely to need years of experience as a museum junior before reaching those lofty heights, even with a PhD. Those jobs are rare and getting rarer as budget cuts bite. They go to people with a track record in curating/heritage management - and at the moment, there are far more of those than there are jobs.
Reply 9
Thanks for the replies all.

if i do apply for a phd it'll definitely be because I want to do it and i'd deffo be committed to it, especially because i'll be writing about what i love (history).

although i might appear to be a lazy student to some, i still really enjoy academia and studying/writing essays - i just like to do other things as well and be relaxed rather than stressed!

I think I'll see how the summer goes with writing my MA dissertation, and then give myself an academia break for a year or so i'm sure about what i want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending