The Student Room Group

RE help!

For the B part questions in Edexcel RE your allowed to start off your reasons with 'As a Christian I believe...' or 'As a muslim I believe...' However, I am muslim but I can argue my reasons better for Christianity. So is it okay to argue my points across as a Christian- so I will say 'as a Christian I believe...' or could I get marked down if the examiners realise I'm not a Christian. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure that it matters. They definitely won't mark you down for it I don't think
The examiner won't know your religion, so feel free to make anything up
Don't worry. You don't even have to mention your religion in the question. You can just say 'Yes, I agree/disagree because...'. And then repeat the same sentence just use 'secondly'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't have to mention it in your answer: 'As a Christian, I agree...' The examiner won't know your religion. They just want to know if you agree/disagree with the question with valid reasons or examples:smile: So you're fine to say 'I agree/disagree...'

If you need any other help in R.E, feel free to private message me.

Best of luck in your exam!
Original post by TomlHumphries
Don't worry. You don't even have to mention your religion in the question. You can just say 'Yes, I agree/disagree because...'. And then repeat the same sentence just use 'secondly'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, and can you write christian reasons but not say 'as a christian I believe...' or will you get marked down because it asked for your opinion not from a religious point of view. For example, 'Do you believe abortion is wrong'
I would say:
I do believe abortion is wrong because in the bible it says 'thou shalt not muder' and life begins at conception, so killing a human life is wrong.

Do you get what I mean?
Thank you everyone x
Original post by GCSE 9
For the B part questions in Edexcel RE your allowed to start off your reasons with 'As a Christian I believe...' or 'As a muslim I believe...' However, I am muslim but I can argue my reasons better for Christianity. So is it okay to argue my points across as a Christian- so I will say 'as a Christian I believe...' or could I get marked down if the examiners realise I'm not a Christian. Thank you.

Your point of view is not as a Muslim or a Christian, it is as a rational, logical Human being who also has religious beliefs. So write your answer that way, qualify and support your statement with evidence (by this I mean any relevant 'scripture' etc) and beliefs. You could also offer a brief point to the opposite and say that some may not agree and why (if you fdind yourself cursed with time to twiddle ones thumbs at the end of the exam and haver read your work a million times already.

Similar to History, the ability to put forward and justify an opinion or viewpoint as well as appreciating an opposing viewpoint helps.

The Sociology lecturer at Uni years ago used to also teach Religious Studies at a local college and used to insist on setting a topic for debate and reversing who whas arguing which point. So, somebody strongly against 'Women on the Frontline' for example would be asked to argue in favour of it and justify it to the best of their ability having researched the points. Was fun.

Oh, and best of luck :-)
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
Your point of view is not as a Muslim or a Christian, it is as a rational, logical Human being who also has religious beliefs. So write your answer that way, qualify and support your statement with evidence (by this I mean any relevant 'scripture' etc) and beliefs. You could also offer a brief point to the opposite and say that some may not agree and why (if you fdind yourself cursed with time to twiddle ones thumbs at the end of the exam and haver read your work a million times already.

Similar to History, the ability to put forward and justify an opinion or viewpoint as well as appreciating an opposing viewpoint helps.

The Sociology lecturer at Uni years ago used to also teach Religious Studies at a local college and used to insist on setting a topic for debate and reversing who whas arguing which point. So, somebody strongly against 'Women on the Frontline' for example would be asked to argue in favour of it and justify it to the best of their ability having researched the points. Was fun.

Oh, and best of luck :-)

so it should be fine then
Original post by GCSE 9
Thank you, and can you write christian reasons but not say 'as a christian I believe...' or will you get marked down because it asked for your opinion not from a religious point of view. For example, 'Do you believe abortion is wrong'
I would say:
I do believe abortion is wrong because in the bible it says 'thou shalt not muder' and life begins at conception, so killing a human life is wrong.

Do you get what I mean?

Yes, that is totally fine to say. You will not get marked down for giving your opinion as the question is only asking for your opinion.

That's a great 2 mark answer. It would get you full marks!
Original post by GCSE 9

Hope you won't. Good luck in the exam on monday
Original post by GCSE 9

I wouldn't speak in the first person for the sake of formality, unless it instructs to do so.

"One could argue" would be far more sensible in my opinion.

If you do have to speak in the first person, there is no need to state your religion.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
I wouldn't speak in the first person for the sake of formality, unless it instructs to do so.

"One could argue" would be far more sensible in my opinion.

If you do have to speak in the first person, there is no need to state your religion.

If you do speak in the first person, can you still get full marks.
Original post by *Alisha*
Hope you won't. Good luck in the exam on monday

You too :h:
Original post by GCSE 9
If you do speak in the first person, can you still get full marks.

Of course, it's just a pet peeve of mine to be honest :P Don't be afraid to present arguments that you don't necessarily agree with. In that case, I would say "one could argue", etc., if it contradicts too much.
Also, do any of you guys know if for the D part question, you have to give 3 brief reasons or can you give 2 detailed reasons and still get 6/6.
And for the C part question do you have to give 4 brief reasons or can you give 2 very detailed paragraphs and get 8/8.
Thanks
Original post by _gcx
Of course, it's just a pet peeve of mine to be honest :P Don't be afraid to present arguments that you don't necessarily agree with. In that case, I would say "one could argue", etc., if it contradicts too much.

Thank you
Original post by GCSE 9
Also, do any of you guys know if for the D part question, you have to give 3 brief reasons or can you give 2 detailed reasons and still get 6/6.
And for the C part question do you have to give 4 brief reasons or can you give 2 very detailed paragraphs and get 8/8.
Thanks

I would give 3 brief reasons with an explanation and example for each one. For the part C you need to give four examples to get the full marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TomlHumphries
I would give 3 brief reasons with an explanation and example for each one. For the part C you need to give four examples to get the full marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you but what do they mean by 3 brief reasons, is it literally 3 simple reasons or do they have to be somewhat developed. So would this be okay fo a brief reason:
Q) Does evil and suffering mean god doesnt exist?
A) I disagree because evil and suffering is a test from god, therefore, god does exist.
Btw this is just one reason but would 3 of these kind of reasons would get me full marks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GCSE 9

The examiners don't take into account where your background is. So no, you won't lose marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending