The Student Room Group

Why is the modern left embracing the veil/hijab?

The very first Arab Muslim Feminist group discarded their veils in an act of protest, yet many organisations in the West would have us believe it is a symbol of empowerment. Why is this the case, when hundreds upon thousands of women around the Islamic world are forced, in some cases by law, to don it.

Does this represent a disconnect in the feminist movement?

Scroll to see replies

The one good thing about this OP is that his attitudes demonstrate as clearly as possible the narrowness, ignorance and pathetic inadequacy of UKIP people and their buddies in the fascist movements.
Reply 2
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The one good thing about this OP is that his attitudes demonstrate as clearly as possible the narrowness, ignorance and pathetic inadequacy of UKIP people and their buddies in the fascist movements.

Rich.
Freedom of religion, simple. It should be embraced by all sides, unless of course you're against freedom of religion?
Stop worrying about us and focus on your own lives.
Reply 5
Original post by EternalLight
Freedom of religion, simple. It should be embraced by all sides, unless of course you're against freedom of religion?

Clearly, the lines between religious freedom and individual freedom are blurred - at least in your case.

I'm a supporter of all freedoms, including freedom of religion, however, how can a woman being forced, by law, to wear a veil fall into this category?
Reply 6
Original post by emerald7770
Stop worrying about us and focus on your own lives.

It's an issue that involves all society, why should I not care about it?
Original post by Dodgypirate
It's an issue that involves all society, why should I not care about it?

You make it seem that we are dying to take this Hijab off, it affects you more than us and we are the ones who are wearing it! There are some girls who are forced but not MOST. I think i would know since i am a hijabi.

Where do you stand on the followers of meso-American religions being allowed the freedom of their religion to follow their consciences, traditions, cultures and beliefs and indulge in human sacrifice?
Clearly, the lines between religious freedom and individual freedom are blurred - at least in your case.

I'm a supporter of all freedoms, including freedom of religion, however, how can a woman being forced, by law, to wear a veil fall into this category?

Let's get one thing straight. The law is the law. When I start working I want to keep every penny I earn, but I cannot because the law says I have to pay tax. Is this a violation of my rights to keep money I earn? Or is that just the law?

In countries where the veil is mandatory, it's nothing more than a law which citizens must abide by.

You don't agree with the law and think it's a violation of freedom and that's fine, you're allowed to have that opinion. It does not make you correct though.
You make it seem that we are dying to take this Hijab off, it affects you more than us and we are the ones who are wearing it! There are some girls who are forced but not MOST. I think i would know since i am a hijabi.

There are plenty of women who are forced to wear them, some of them from a young age. Besides, it doesn't make how many of them are forced, it doesn't take away the fact that it's happening and should be addressed. You're not showing much solidarity with them either by claiming they're a minority.

PRSOM :yy:

Original post by Good bloke
Where do you stand on the followers of meso-American religions being allowed the freedom of their religion to follow their consciences, traditions, cultures and beliefs and indulge in human sacrifice?

Are you really comparing wearing a veil to murdering another human being?
There are plenty of women who are forced to wear them, some of them from a young age. Besides, it doesn't make how many of them are forced, it doesn't take away the fact that it's happening and should be addressed. You're not showing much solidarity with them either by claiming they're a minority.

Have you ever met anyone who has told you that they are being forced to wear the Hijab? tell the truth. And it has been addressed many times.
PRSOM :yy:

Well what about the Islamic law on homosexuality? Which often means jail time and/or death.

Does your "law is law" theory work in that context?
Well what about the Islamic law on homosexuality? Which often means jail time and/or death.

Does your "law is law" theory work in that context?

This is about the veil, we're not going into this again for the tenth time this month.
Have you ever met anyone who has told you that they are being forced to wear the Hijab? tell the truth. And it has been addressed many times.

In all honesty, I have no hijabi-wearing friends or acquaintances.

That said, there is no really consensus amongst those who do wear them.

No. I am asking whether there comes a point at which you will not tolerate religious freedom. Are you going to answer?

We can then discuss the finer points of religiously-sanctioned cruelty, slavery, misogyny, intolerance and warfare.
This is about the veil, we're not going into this again for the tenth time this month.

In order to question the Hijab, we must questions Islamic law in full.
feminists are just crazy!
Muslim women aren`t oppresed there is no religion that provides rights for women at its best except Islam but ironically muslims in the 21st century especially arabs build up their own rules and restrict women which is not prophets way, therefore women become tired of the hijab and may build up a wrong impression about islam so it is upto muslim men to protect their sisters,spouses and mothers to give what they deserve.
In all honesty, I have no hijabi-wearing friends or acquaintances.

That said, there is no really consensus amongst those who do wear them.

Yepp.. the media has led you to believe that. But you really can't do anything about it or femenists. That is the last thing on their mind anyways, they like to avoid stuff like this but get mad when people assume someones gender.

peace.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending