The Student Room Group

28 and confused, help! :)

Hey!

First off, I'm now 28, I'm happy enough but I NEED to start earning some £££, for my bank account, future and own peace of mind. I'm so over been embarrassed to talk to people about my 'career' and living in flat shares!

Anyway, what I was wondering was about the amount of experience one would need before being in a good position to apply for either a Probation Service Officer or Probation Officer? So far I've done some volunteering prison visiting and within the Citizens Advice for about a year. I'm looking at getting involved in the Homeless shelter within the next week or so.

My main worry is that I don't have anywhere near enough experience to warrant an application, especially because my main job for the past four years has been working in a restaurant. Something I feel might hold me back in applications. :/

I have a degree in Criminology (although it is a 2:2) and good A-levels.
It's fair to say I'm a little confused as to where my life is heading and the idea of never doing anything 'meaningful' and getting paid for it (a reasonable amount, I am not looking at being rich!) haunts me to my core... so dramatic.

All replies are welcomed with open arms!

Thaaaaanks.
Original post by CoolhandLu
Hey!

First off, I'm now 28, I'm happy enough but I NEED to start earning some £££, for my bank account, future and own peace of mind. I'm so over been embarrassed to talk to people about my 'career' and living in flat shares!

Anyway, what I was wondering was about the amount of experience one would need before being in a good position to apply for either a Probation Service Officer or Probation Officer? So far I've done some volunteering prison visiting and within the Citizens Advice for about a year. I'm looking at getting involved in the Homeless shelter within the next week or so.

My main worry is that I don't have anywhere near enough experience to warrant an application, especially because my main job for the past four years has been working in a restaurant. Something I feel might hold me back in applications. :/

I have a degree in Criminology (although it is a 2:2) and good A-levels.
It's fair to say I'm a little confused as to where my life is heading and the idea of never doing anything 'meaningful' and getting paid for it (a reasonable amount, I am not looking at being rich!) haunts me to my core... so dramatic.

All replies are welcomed with open arms!

Thaaaaanks.

I'd say you'd be in a strong position. You've got a lot of work experience and you'll have gained many skills to put on your CV. Even working in a restaurant you will have gained transferable skills that will benefit your application (For example you've been able to work alongside volunteering showing dedication to bettering yourself in your chosen career.) You should also talk about the length of time you've been at the restaurant showing yourself to be dedicated and committed to one particular company rather than job hopping.

You have a degree as well so put that down as well!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending