The Student Room Group

Recommended backup choices? (and likelihood of getting into Cambridge)

I've got 9A*s, 2 As (one FMSQ), and a B for my GCSEs. The non-core subjects were Latin, French, Music, and History. I did triple science.
I'm currently doing Maths, Further Maths, the three sciences, and Chinese. I'm dropping at least two at the end of the year.

I'm hoping to do CompSci with Maths at Cambridge.

What would you recommend as a backup choice?
Reply 1
Original post by wangmeister
I've got 9A*s, 2 As (one FMSQ), and a B for my GCSEs. The non-core subjects were Latin, French, Music, and History. I did triple science.
I'm currently doing Maths, Further Maths, the three sciences, and Chinese. I'm dropping at least two at the end of the year.

What's on your shortlist at the moment and why?

Also, why did you pick Cambridge in the first place?

Lastly, regarding your A-levels, it really is all about quality not quantity. Especially when you will also need to allow time to prepare for STEP if you get a CompSci w/Maths offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by wangmeister

Imperial used to be the favourite for most people, although their offers for Computing typically involve STEP now so this might not be a feasible option these days. Beyond that, just pick the one you like the look of the most. UCL/Bristol/Warwick/Southampton/Durham/Edinburgh/etc. all have well-regarded CS courses which would likely suit your academic background.
I would recommend adding three very good ones, such as Imperial, and then having at least one that you are certain to get into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending