The Student Room Group

Rev matching down gears vs braking

So I find rev matching extremely fun and satisfying when you hit that perfect rev match its just :O. I know it uses more fuel, but at the same time I'm helping my clutch because it has to do less work, plus my brake pads because I'm letting engine braking do some of the work. Are there any more pros/cons I should be aware of? I'm 17 and have a car that has 23k miles on it and I'm hoping to make it last a while. Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Xopher_
So I find rev matching extremely fun and satisfying when you hit that perfect rev match its just :O. I know it uses more fuel, but at the same time I'm helping my clutch because it has to do less work, plus my brake pads because I'm letting engine braking do a lot of the work. Are there any more pros/cons I should be aware of? I'm 17 and have a car that has 23k miles on it and I'm hoping to make it last a while. Thanks

If you find it fun, then fair enough but it's entirely unnecessary in a modern car. That's why they invented the synchromesh.

I don't believe that there are any real 'gains' in clutch/brake pad wear by doing this, but as I say - if you enjoy doing it and it's not distracting you from driving properly there's no harm in it.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
If you find it fun, then fair enough but it's entirely unnecessary in a modern car. That's why they invented the synchromesh.

I don't believe that there are any real 'gains' in clutch/brake pad wear by doing this, but as I say - if you enjoy doing it and it's not distracting you from driving properly there's no harm in it.

Thanks, the reason I do it is because even if you slowly bring the clutch up say from 3rd to 2nd it does lurch forward because by the time you've changed gears the revs have dropped to idle and you have to build them up to 2-3k or whatever and it just doesn't feel good for the car or passengers
Reply 3
If you're good at it there are no cons. It's a good skill to have, as you say it improves the ride for passengers. Next step is to learn heel/toe :smile:
If you want to slow down you shouldn't do it by changing down gears, your car has brake pads for a reason, use them, otherwise you're just wearing the clutch more than you would otherwise... Doesn't matter if you're rev matching or not, the more you use the clutch, the sooner it'll need replacing. Any money you 'save' on brake pads is spent on the labour costs of replacing the clutch earlier than you would've if you used your brakes.
Original post by TheMcSame
If you want to slow down you shouldn't do it by changing down gears, your car has brake pads for a reason, use them, otherwise you're just wearing the clutch more than you would otherwise... Doesn't matter if you're rev matching or not, the more you use the clutch, the sooner it'll need replacing. Any money you 'save' on brake pads is spent on the labour costs of replacing the clutch earlier than you would've if you used your brakes.

The clutch only wears when it's slipping. If you're accurately rev-matching then there's virtually no slippage and hence virtually no wear. It only makes a financial difference if that small amount of wear makes the difference between you replacing the clutch or disposing of the car before a new clutch is needed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending