The Student Room Group

Questions about electronic hand brake?

Hello,
I've just had my first lesson with an electric hand brake (I'm used to a manual hand brake). My instructor has said this means that when you start the car, and move off, you don't need to find the bite as its electric, so you just select 1st gear, rise off the clutch, and accelerate away. Is this true, and if so, does this mean at roundabouts, after I've stopped, when I can go, I just push the accelerator and don't need to find the bite? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, or is a stupid question
Depends on the car. There are slight variations on the electronic handbrake from manufacturer to manufacturer. There are also options that you can use in some cars that allow the handbrake to be engaged automatically if you brake and come to a stop.

Just check again with your instructor as to what you should do at the start of your next lesson.
Reply 2
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Hello,
I've just had my first lesson with an electric hand brake (I'm used to a manual hand brake). My instructor has said this means that when you start the car, and move off, you don't need to find the bite as its electric, so you just select 1st gear, rise off the clutch, and accelerate away. Is this true, and if so, does this mean at roundabouts, after I've stopped, when I can go, I just push the accelerator and don't need to find the bite? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, or is a stupid question

Yes, you just drive off. There will be a little resistance whilst the car works out that its moving, then the brake takes itself off and you just drive without touching anything.

I would 100% switch it off when you're manouvering though - like for 3 point turns and parallel parking and then re-engage it when you're parked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending