The Student Room Group

Reasons for having extra time/extra marks...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by s4b3rt00th
You don't get special equipment and extra time if you're bad at a subject.

I meant he doesn't have anything like dyslexia which could affect his grade...
Original post by haseeb_jarral786

a) He is a good friend of mine. His handwriting is bad because he just 'cannot be bothered' (his words not mine) to write well in the exams. His writing is not too bad in reality but he seems to rush too much in the exams. .

My handwriting isn't bad either because in lessons, I have to copy notes, which makes it far easier. When I used to write my exams, I struggled with forming coherent sentences and horrendous handwriting. After a while, I saw no point in trying to write because I couldn't do it. Eventually, I got the help I needed because one of my teachers realised I wasn't an idiot. I went from an F to A/A* (which surprised me).
(edited 6 years ago)
I get 25% extra time because of my poor eyesight but it's still not enough because it takes me a while to read and understand the question and that involves a lot of squinting and double checking. :frown:
Original post by StrawbAri
I get 25% extra time because of my poor eyesight but it's still not enough because it takes me a while to read and understand the question and that involves a lot of squinting and double checking. :frown:
Do you think larger print would help more? Why wouldn't they give you a larger print?!
Original post by StrawbAri

To add to Kathy's comment:

I too have bad eyesight. As well as the large print papers, I also get them printed on coloured paper. (white is meant to be one of the hardest colours to read off) What I have causes chronic tiredness which also means I need rest breaks too.
Original post by 0xFFFFail
So I should get time for being a slow writer? Or maybe someone should speed up like the rest of us

What so I should just start writing faster (as if it's that easy) evethough t's already painful enough as it is for me to write for more than 5 mintes. Sure, like you should just run as fast as Usain Bolt
Original post by haseeb_jarral
Guys, let me just get this straight.

a) He is a good friend of mine. His handwriting is bad because he just 'cannot be bothered' (his words not mine) to write well in the exams. His writing is not too bad in reality but he seems to rush too much in the exams. He has a good predicted grade in English so I don't think he is lacking any English skills.

b) I am not jealous (maybe a little, I guess :smile:), I just think this is unfair to many people who actually to put in an effort to write, say, 10 pages, whereas he can use a laptop to type it all in less time. I don't mind him having a laptop but don't you think it is unfair he has 25% extra?

c) This thread was here to include any opinions or any other examples of extra time that people have. So please, no hate to anyone.

Okay so this isn't to tell you off or give you hate or anything and obviously I don't know everything about your friend or their situation, but just bare in mind that you might not either. I have a multitude of issues with and without diagnosis covering them that make a bunch of stuff hard or generally that bit more challenging for me. I don't share a lot of that with people though and a lot of the time will go for either just saying one condition I have which seems most relevant or just saying "can't be bothered" or "too much effort" cos I don't really feel like constantly repeating all the things that are broken about me.
Especially at college where I was still in the process of getting tested for things etc I didn't really have anything to back up why I got extra support.
Even people close to me do not understand everything that's going on and honestly I don't even understand all of it either.

Getting things like extra time needs assessments though so there has to be some reason it's been seen as reasonable for your friend to get that extra support.
One reason I could think of is that they need to use a laptop so the examiner can actually read their work (so it's for the examiners benefit not theirs), but their typing would be slower than their writing so they then need the extra time to make up for them having to use a laptop.

It's honestly not all that healthy to be focusing on how unfair it is that a few people are maybe getting a bit of an unfair advantage. It's not going to affect you in any real way and it just drives a wedge between you and that person or makes you bitter. Focus on your own life and exams.
Original post by haseeb_jarral
Hi guys! :smile:
Exam season has started and many exams are now done! :yeah: (Lots still to go :s-smilie:)

I wanted to start a thread with all the weird (and unfair) reasons people have extra time or marks.

I'll start off with this...

One of my friends has appalling handwriting, so he gets to use a laptop. Not only is a laptop much faster, he also gets an EXTRA 25% time. He usually writes DOUBLE what everyone else writes... :s-smilie:

Feel free to share any you know!

What is it to you? There are far too many threads like this on TSR. You must have one sad life or no life if this is all you have to do with your time. Mind your own business and get a life!
No-one here should be justifying why they get extra time or any other adjustments. Concentrate on your own lives those of you who feel aggrieved because someone is getting something you are not getting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending