The Student Room Group

I messed up and I don't know what to do

I'm a relatively new teaching assistant in a secondary school and I usually help students in the bottom sets. Last week, there was an instance where most of them were stuck on a question, so I helped them to find (what I genuinely thought) was the right answer. However, when the teacher went through the answers in class, everyone had gotten that one question completely wrong and I realised that I had made a mistake.

I could tell that some of the students felt disappointed as they trusted me to help them find the right answer, and I'm worried that they won't ask me for help again or lose trust in me. I'm feeling really nervous to attend the next lesson with them after half term next week. Has anyone else experienced this or can give me advice?
To jump off a cliff or To Not jump off a cliff?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a relatively new teaching assistant in a secondary school and I usually help students in the bottom sets. Last week, there was an instance where most of them were stuck on a question, so I helped them to find (what I genuinely thought) was the right answer. However, when the teacher went through the answers in class, everyone had gotten that one question completely wrong and I realised that I had made a mistake.

I could tell that some of the students felt disappointed as they trusted me to help them find the right answer, and I'm worried that they won't ask me for help again or lose trust in me. I'm feeling really nervous to attend the next lesson with them after half term next week. Has anyone else experienced this or can give me advice?

I'm a mentor at Kumon Tuition and I've definitely done this before :biggrin:. I think the best thing to do is to apologize and then forget about it- don't bring it up again. Now I think you need to try and prove to them that they can trust you. Not really sure how to do this but I guess before each lesson you could have an overview on what your about to teach them so that you know exactly what your doing. Also, if you see a child struggling go up to them instead of waiting for them to ask you?
Reply 3
I am a young martial arts instructor, and have made mistakes before many times when trying to help people do moves, everyone makes mistakes and it is nothing to be embarrassed about. If anyone comes and talks to you about it then I would just acknowledge that I made a mistake and try to help with anything else that I could.If anyone loses trust in you then it can be regained, but everyone makes mistakes!! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
To jump off a cliff or To Not jump off a cliff?

not :h:
If anything you can expect them to tease you because of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending