The Student Room Group

Question about my teeth

Okay so, I have severe overcrowding my teeth are not straight at all I am 18, soon going to be 19 in November. I was wondering if I qualify to get braces I have however heard that if I am allowed I will be put in a waiting list of some kind. I really want braces so badly I wanted them ever since I was 10 but my parents said no. Also I was told that I would have to get 4 teeth removed.

My question is would that change my lip shape or bottom half of my face as I heard that It could either perfect a smile or it could worsen it. At the moment my front two teeth are sort of back and need to be bought forward in order to bring the lips out just a little. Because right now there's not much support so my lips sort of go inwards.

Thanks in advance !!
Reply 1
Bump !
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so, I have severe overcrowding my teeth are not straight at all I am 18, soon going to be 19 in November. I was wondering if I qualify to get braces I have however heard that if I am allowed I will be put in a waiting list of some kind. I really want braces so badly I wanted them ever since I was 10 but my parents said no. Also I was told that I would have to get 4 teeth removed.

My question is would that change my lip shape or bottom half of my face as I heard that It could either perfect a smile or it could worsen it. At the moment my front two teeth are sort of back and need to be bought forward in order to bring the lips out just a little. Because right now there's not much support so my lips sort of go inwards.

Thanks in advance !!

I had overcrowding teeth as well so I had 4 teeth removed before i had braces. From experience, my lip shape/bottom half of my face didnt change that much.

Since youre 18 you might have to pay for it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I had overcrowding teeth as well so I had 4 teeth removed before i had braces. From experience, my lip shape/bottom half of my face didnt change that much.

Ohh right!! Did your profile change for the better?
Reply 4

Thanks in advance !!

unless you have jaw surgery your face wont really change, you have everything to gain
You should really see a dentist to ask if a referral to an orthodontist is appropriate
Just as a guide this is from the NHS website

NHS orthodontic treatment is free for people under the age of 18 with a clear health need for treatment. But because of high demand, there can be a long waiting list. NHS orthodontic care isn't usually available for adults, but may be approved on a case-by-case basis if needed for health reasons. A rating system known as the Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN) is used to assess your eligibility for NHS treatment. The British Orthodontic Society's website has more information about the different grades used for the IOTN. NHS treatment is available for grade 4 and grade 5 cases. Grade 3 cases are usually judged on an individual basis. Treatment may also be made available if the appearance of a person's teeth, jaw or face is of concern.

Approximate cost is £3000 if the NHS doesn't do it
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 1secondsofvamps

Since youre 18 you might have to pay for it.

Also how was your experience removing 4 teeth was it painful did they put you under anaesthesia ??
Ohh right!! Did your profile change for the better?

By profile im guessing you mean the shape of my face/teeth?
If so then yes but it wasnt a drastic change. It was like 6 years ago so i dont rememeber much
Reply 8
I had teeth removed for my braces and i had injections to numb my mouth. The only one that really hurt was the roof of my mouth but it only lasted a few seconds. After it was just hard pulling to get teeth out but no real pain. My jaw didn't change at all just my teeth, really happy with it all afterwards
Reply 9
Original post by Sammylou40
You should really see a dentist to ask if a referral to an orthodontist is appropriate
Just as a guide this is from the NHS website

NHS orthodontic treatment is free for people under the age of 18 with a clear health need for treatment. But because of high demand, there can be a long waiting list. NHS orthodontic care isn't usually available for adults, but may be approved on a case-by-case basis if needed for health reasons. A rating system known as the Index of (IOTN) is used to assess your eligibility for NHS treatment. The British Orthodontic Society's website has more information about the different grades used for the IOTN. NHS treatment is available for grade 4 and grade 5 cases. Grade 3 cases are usually judged on an individual basis. Treatment may also be made available if the appearance of a person's teeth, jaw or face is of concern.

Approximate cost is £3000 if the NHS doesn't do it

Thank you so much! ☺️ Ohh no hopefully the waiting list isn't that long I really want to get braces hate my teeth so much.
Also how was your experience removing 4 teeth was it painful did they put you under anaesthesia ??

I had injections to numb my mouth. I found the injections really horrible especially the one on the roof of my mouth but thats just because i have a low pain tolerance. Other than that everything was fine. I did dribble quite a bit afterwards though :colondollar:

I actually had this done twice. My dentist suggested to get 2 teeth removed on one side so i could at least eat using the other side. Then a few weeks later i had the other 2 removed on the other side.

Quick Reply

Latest