The Student Room Group

The polls are wrong, Labour set to lose 90 seats says Party blog...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by generallee
It is not just that.

Social media is a left wing echo chamber. Like the TV debate where every asinine comment from Corby was greeted with huge whoops and cheers from the audience. It is hard not to be influenced subliminally.

But those forums aren't representative of the people who will actually decide this election. They don't tweet their pearls of wisdom, or boo, hiss and shout down those they disagree with on Question Time. They just keep keep their counsel and then go and vote Tory in the Polling Station. In their millions.

Why would that explain a polling difference though, rather than merely popular misperception (and why would that have changed only in the past few weeks)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anarchism101
Why would that explain a polling difference though, rather than merely popular misperception (and why would that have changed only in the past few weeks)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am talking about the general culture in which the commentariat swim before they opine.

The polls are pretty straightforward. All of them (apart from You Gov) support my argument, they just vary in the extent of the Tory majority.
You are the foolish one.

This bet is like seeing a hundred pounds lying in the street and not bending to pick it up in case you do your back in. Seriously, I do a lot of betting and this is that rare thing, a total gimme.

If you think the Tories are not going to get a majority you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Sorry...

Check out the front pages of the Sun, the Mail, the Express, today.

They will tell you what the voters who are going to decide this election think.

TSR is such a bubble as was said earlier on this thread.

And if you think this demographic is going to have any impact, check out the opinion poll in today's FT showing how few of this age range is going to vote compared to the old.

OK, unlike you I don't have a crystal ball and am not going to be so sure of the result, and it's not delusional to think the Tories will not get a majority, especially after the YouGov's model (which got the EU Referendum result right) now predicting a hung parliament. Why should I check out the Sun/Mail etc. They are all tabloid newspapers and are obviously biased against Labour...
Original post by JMR2017
OK, unlike you I don't have a crystal ball and am not going to be so sure of the result, and it's not delusional to think the Tories will not get a majority, especially after the YouGov's model (which got the EU Referendum result right) now predicting a hung parliament. Why should I check out the Sun/Mail etc. They are all tabloid newspapers and are obviously biased against Labour...

You should read those newspapers because they are read and inwardly absorbed by swing voters. Those who will decide.

If you don't read them, you won't know what they are thinking.

And four days after a terrorist outrage, one day before an election, they are splashing page after page on Corbyn's support for Islamist "hate mobs" in rallies years ago. Pictures of him with his little beard, pictures of Anjem Choudary at the same rally with his big beard. Corbyn is soft on Islam, has voted against every ati terror measure ever suggested, ya de ya de ya...

Have you no sense of the mood of this country? No touch, no feel? Do you so live in a Corby bubble???
You should read those newspapers because they are read and inwardly absorbed by swing voters. Those who will decide.

And four days after a terrorist outrage, one day before an election, they are splashing page after page on Corbyn's support for Islamist "hate mobs" in rallies years ago. Pictures of him with his little beard, pictures of Anjem Choudary at the same rally with his big beard. Corbyn is soft on Islam, has voted against every ati terror measure ever suggested, ya de ya de ya...

Have you no sense of the mood of this country? No touch, no feel? Do you so live in a Corby bubble???

Tories like David Davis also voted against those bills...
Meh, polls are usually inaccurate in some way or another. What matters is how many people tick which boxes tomorrow.

Judging from what I've seen though, Labour have increased in popularity...though that may just be that I'm witnessing an increasingly vocal minority.
Original post by Rakas21
I forgot to ask, is the implication of your post here that you are predicting a result more in tune with the early campaign polling averages (15-20% lead).

I myself see a strong chance that the Tories will have their strongest result since 59 (46.5% needed) but suspect Labour will be too strong to allow the largest margin since 31 (14.9% needed). I don't think Labour will beat Blair 05 (35.1% or less needed).

I think somewhere in the 15-17% range and I think the Tories will do better than 46%. Effectively anyone who doesn't like Corbyn is resigned to voting Conservative regardless of their or her policies. The protest vote parties, UKIP, Greens and Liberals in England have all gone missing.
Original post by JMR2017
Tories like David Davis also voted against those bills...

This is the Sun front page since you don't like reading it...

"Jezza's Jihadi Comrades"

Jeremy Corbyn delivered an incendiary speech at a demo attended by followers of hate preachers Anjem Choudary and Omar Bakri Mohammed.

Witnesses said that members of al Muhajiroun - which inspired Jihadis including the London Bridge attackers and other terrorists - were among crowds addressed by the Labour Leader in Trafalgar Square. Some were dressed as suicide bombers."

Now maybe you think that is going to go down a treat in Hartlepool and Southampton Test and Bristol East and all the other Labour Tory margnals with huge Kipper votes.

But my £400 says its won't. And we can continue this discussion on Friday, huh, Corbynista?

My view is that if those things matter to you, you weren't going to vote Corbyn last Friday.

I think there has only been one true late swing in my lifetime in 1992. I don't even think Peter Bonetti cost Harold Wilson the 1970 election
Original post by nulli tertius
My view is that if those things matter to you, you weren't going to vote Corbyn last Friday.

I think there has only been one true late swing in my lifetime in 1992. I don't even think Peter Bonetti cost Harold Wilson the 1970 election

I think that is right. Received wisdom is that campaigns don't affect results. And I suspect this is broadly true.

But this last minute event might make a small difference at the margins. And a tiny percentage point swing in opinion can move a dozen seats or so.
Polls have consistently, regardless of methodology underestimated the centre-right vote. Most methodologies differ in how they allocate "don't knows". This takes no account of people who have disengaged entirely from politics because they don't want a couple of their noisy friends or relatives calling them scum or vile on facebook.

As @generallee said above - there are millions of them. For every noisy student, or every Trot on facebook, or every person at a Stop the West rally, there are five people in provincial England, quietly going about their lives who will probably vote Conservative.
Original post by United1892
Both results were within the margin of error, and polls were wrong in US election case as they were on a national basis rather than in the tightly run areas which swung the election to trump (polls said Clinton 48, Trump 44,results were Clinton 48 Trump 46). Only the 2015 election was actually badly wrong and methods have been heavily adjusted.

Even 2015 was in the MoE, just, when you go down to the decimals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trinculo
Polls have consistently, regardless of methodology underestimated the centre-right vote. Most methodologies differ in how they allocate "don't knows". This takes no account of people who have disengaged entirely from politics because they don't want a couple of their noisy friends or relatives calling them scum or vile on facebook.

As @generallee said above - there are millions of them. For every noisy student, or every Trot on facebook, or every person at a Stop the West rally, there are five people in provincial England, quietly going about their lives who will probably vote Conservative.

Provincial England is irrelevant, it's the suburban tory that matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Provincial England is irrelevant, it's the suburban tory that matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Provincial England is long gone, true.

The London suburbs will be a big deal - the ones with high Jewish populations are gone for Corbyn - some of the others will depend on Lib Dem or Green numbers
I am talking about the general culture in which the commentariat swim before they opine.

The polls are pretty straightforward. All of them (apart from You Gov) support my argument, they just vary in the extent of the Tory majority.

Not seeing what this has to do with my prior posts?

On a side note, what do you mean by "commentariat" here? From what I've seen, the bulk of pundits have been agreeing with the argument that there will be a sizable Tory majority, though also your other posts seem to suggest you aren't including the Mail/Sun/Express/etc commentators as part of the "commentariat"?
I see that my earlier post quoting from the Sun front page is under review by the TSR left wing moderating snowflakes.

If you delete it, you are making fools of yourself, if I may gently suggest.

The words I quoted, in hard copy, are in more than four million homes, offices and factories up and down the country. They are on a website that is freely available for the whole world to read online.

So deleting it from this thread is just pi ssing in the wind. Pitiful.

They are already out there, whether you like it or not.
Current election result forecast:

http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/

"Our model combines data provided by the British Election Study with all publicly released national polls, historical election results, and historical polling. "

Original post by Trinculo
Provincial England is long gone, true.

The London suburbs will be a big deal - the ones with high Jewish populations are gone for Corbyn - some of the others will depend on Lib Dem or Green numbers

Not even the London suburbs, if anyone is losing out around the edge of London it's the Tories. From what I hear Croydon Central (very marginal) is expected to go red again, and the lib dems are expected to win their London Tory marginals too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Even at 2/9 it is free money.

I put £400 on Monday at 1/4. 25% return on your money in four days with zero risk. A hundred notes out of thin air...

It is not the odds themselves that need observed it is their movement. Last night bookie on TV (Ladbrokes) seemed to indicate current pricing indicated circa 20% chance of hung , certainly not most likely but also not impossible. In effect slightly better than rolling a dice for a six, does sometimes happen.

I doubt it will happen, but then again some funny stories as to who people one knows intend to vote for- lot of tactical stuff in Scotland, but of course Scotland is not rUK and our election swings on different mindset.
Reply 59
Guys, calm! We'll find out in 2 days time. Just sit back, vote and relax :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending