The Student Room Group

HELP

Okay, so I consider English to be one of my strongest suits. For my mocks, I consistently received high scores for my narrative pieces, even a 40/40 (which was absolutely thrilling - I wrote a story about a girl being forced into a marriage set in Afghanistan).

Today, however, as I looked at the Creative Prose section of the exam, I was filled with a sense of dread at the absolutely ATROCIOUS choices for our stories. All of them were from a first-person viewpoint, the exception being a "Memorable Weekend", and the least terrible option seemed to be "Write a story about a time you had to make a difficult choice / decision". Quite ironically, I bitterly realised that I had scored 40/40 on my arranged marriage story based on "The Choice" ,except I had written it from a third person viewpoint. There was no way I would be able to replicate my story from the first person pronoun, because it was so dramatic. So, I wrote the MOST CLICHÉ, EMBARRASSING STORY about being faced with the difficult, frightening decision of jumping off a high clifftop into the ocean.

I think it was my weakest work for English, but I did manage to include some good descriptions and wide vocabulary, though the story itself was quite short - only 3 pages. Also, because I was running out of time, I wrote about how I turned back to trudge down the cliff, not wanting to go through with my decision of jumping off it as a result of my immense fearfulness, but was faced with a rattlesnake, and, scared again but deciding it was better to jump off the cliff than to die from blood poisoning, I eventually jumped off the cliff.

Extremely crap, I know.

Do you think I would be able to score at least a minimum of 30 marks? I honestly feel like weeping. I'm so resentful. This was my best subject and I blew it.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by FopePrancis
Okay, so I consider English to be one of my strongest suits. For my mocks, I consistently received high scores for my narrative pieces, even a 40/40 (which was absolutely thrilling - I wrote a story about a girl being forced into a marriage set in Afghanistan).

Today, however, as I looked at the Creative Prose section of the exam, I was filled with a sense of dread at the absolutely ATROCIOUS choices for our stories. All of them were from a first-person viewpoint, the exception being a "Memorable Weekend", and the least terrible option seemed to be "Write a story about a time you had to make a difficult choice / decision". Quite ironically, I bitterly realised that I had scored 40/40 on my arranged marriage story based on "The Choice" ,except I had written it from a third person viewpoint. There was no way I would be able to replicate my story from the first person pronoun, because it was so dramatic. So, I wrote the MOST CLICHÉ, EMBARRASSING STORY about being faced with the difficult, frightening decision of jumping off a high clifftop into the ocean.

I think it was my weakest work for English, but I did manage to include some good descriptions and wide vocabulary, though the story itself was quite short - only 3 pages. Also, because I was running out of time, I wrote about how I turned back to trudge down the cliff, not wanting to go through with my decision of jumping off it as a result of my immense fearfulness, but was faced with a rattlesnake, and, scared again but deciding it was better to jump off the cliff than to die from blood poisoning, I eventually jumped off the cliff.

Extremely crap, I know.

Do you think I would be able to score at least a minimum of 30 marks? I honestly feel like weeping. I'm so resentful. This was my best subject and I blew it.

I am in the same situation. I eventually picked The Choice/Decision one and wrote some bull **** about a car accident and then the mother of the son who was in a Persistent Vegetative State pull the plugs and kill her own child. It was tragic and didn't manage to put great vocab/punctuation and I am ******** myself right now.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Quava
I am in the same situation. I eventually picked The Choice/Decision one and wrote some bull **** about a car accident and then the mother of the son who was in a Persistent Vegetative State pull the plugs and kill her own child. It was tragic and didn't manage to put great vocab/punctuation and I am ******** myself right now.

Fuuuuuuuuuck, we screwed. I'm so disappointed.
Original post by Quava

When I told my dad about my story, he laughed at the snake bit, thinking I was joking. Let's hope the grade boundaries are low
Doesn't sound that bad tbh, I wrote about a chicken sandwich last year in mine and I still passed so I'm pretty sure you will have done well
Reply 5
Fuuuuuuuuuck, we screwed. I'm so disappointed.

ikr I just hope paper 2 doesn't go that bad:frown:
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
Doesn't sound that bad tbh, I wrote about a chicken sandwich last year in mine and I still passed so I'm pretty sure you will have done well

Question, why are you on my thread? Get lost boi.
Secondly, how do you get a story out of a chicken sandwich?
Reply 7

What happened to the Chicken Sandwich?
It better not be something bad because I love Chicken Sandwiches.
Reply 8
When I told my dad about my story, he laughed at the snake bit, thinking I was joking. Let's hope the grade boundaries are low

My mom said she's going to slaughter me on Results Day.
Question, why are you on my thread? Get lost boi.
Secondly, how do you get a story out of a chicken sandwich?

I don't know
And
I don't know
Original post by Quava
What happened to the Chicken Sandwich?
It better not be something bad because I love Chicken Sandwiches.

No I said it was a heavenly chicken sandwich
I don't know
And
I don't know

When you said you passed - was it a C or B?
When you said you passed - was it a C or B?

C, it's safe to say English wasn't my strongest subject
Original post by Quava

Wait, just realised. You wrote from the perspective of a mother. I legitimately thought that you had to write about a semi-realistic situation YOU (ie. a 16 year old student) have experienced. If it was just writing from the first person pronoun from ANY perspective, I could've still written my arranged marriage story. This realisation makes me feel even worse lmao.
C, it's safe to say English wasn't my strongest subject

That's disgusting, get outta here
Reply 15
Wait, just realised. You wrote from the perspective of a mother. I legitimately thought that you had to write about a semi-realistic situation YOU (ie. a 16 year old student) have experienced. If it was just writing from the first person pronoun from ANY perspective, I could've still written my arranged marriage story. This realisation makes me feel even worse lmao.

WAIT! WHAT? It had to be on our experiences. WTF!!??? I don't even have a child **** that I have no-one to even get me pregnant. Oh ****...

Doubt you'll get higher with your creative writing
Reply 17
No I said it was a heavenly chicken sandwich

Sounds like an interesting story. No wonder you passed.
Original post by Quava
WAIT! WHAT? It had to be on our experiences. WTF!!??? I don't even have a child **** that I have no-one to even get me pregnant. Oh ****...

WAAAIT, LET'S NOT PANIC. It didn't explicitly state that it had to be based on our experiences, but that's what I inferred, because the question was phrased as, "Write a story based on a difficult choice or decision YOU have had to make". I remember seeing the "you" and thinking fuuuuckk nahhhh
Reply 19

That's a bit harsh. A C is a pass. It is great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending