The Student Room Group

Extremely worried about not getting into uni

Hi everyone!

I have a conditional offer for an ordinary bachelors in adult nursing.

I've done access to nursing for the past 2 years and for my second certificate I've unfortunately failed a unit by 2 marks. I'm not alone and over half of the students enrolled have also failed this unit due to high turnover of staff, course content confusion amongst lecturing team and ongoing strikes.

I did study really hard for it so it's really frustrating that I've failed by 2 marks and there is still a chance I can get my award despite this but I'm really worried in case I don't because I've worked so hard to get as far as applying to a university and it's stressing me out big time.

Because nursing is vocational I have decided in my mind if I do miss out on one of my requirements I can use my 6 years of care experience as leverage to prove I am worthy of a place, I started off in childcare, moved into dental nursing, then adult residential nursing care and currently I work bank as a band 2 auxiliary nurse in the several hospitals in my area.

Do you think that the university will take my work experience into serious consideration? I have worked hard academically and I have proven I am capable of the practical aspects of the job itself, I'm just hoping that this will be a strong support for me in the event I do miss out on my certificate or one of my graded highers.

Thanks guys!
Original post by HollieR95
Hi everyone!

I've done access to nursing for the past 2 years and for my second certificate I've unfortunately failed a unit by 2 marks. I'm not alone and over half of the students enrolled have also failed this unit due to high turnover of staff, course content confusion amongst lecturing team and ongoing strikes.

I did study really hard for it so it's really frustrating that I've failed by 2 marks and there is still a chance I can get my award despite this but I'm really worried in case I don't because I've worked so hard to get as far as applying to a university and it's stressing me out big time.

Because nursing is vocational I have decided in my mind if I do miss out on one of my requirements I can use my 6 years of care experience as leverage to prove I am worthy of a place, I started off in childcare, moved into dental nursing, then adult residential nursing care and currently I work bank as a band 2 auxiliary nurse in the several hospitals in my area.

Do you think that the university will take my work experience into serious consideration? I have worked hard academically and I have proven I am capable of the practical aspects of the job itself, I'm just hoping that this will be a strong support for me in the event I do miss out on my certificate or one of my graded highers.

Thanks guys!

Hi, I am also coming to the end of an access course & have a place to study adult nursing BSc (Hons) this September. When I spoke to my firm university admissions I asked about if I didn't meet my offer & got told they are willing to overlook a missed grade if the work experience is good, but they look at it on an applicant by applicant basis. So it could be similar at your firm uni. You could always ask the admissions department at your uni.
Do you get to re-submit your work to pass that unit? Are you able to still pass the whole course?
I would also consider making a complaint to the college about the high turnover of staff etc as this has impacted on your learning & you are paying for the course (even if you got the advanced learner loan).
I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by mel_l218
Hi, I am also coming to the end of an access course & have a place to study adult nursing BSc (Hons) this September. When I spoke to my firm university admissions I asked about if I didn't meet my offer & got told they are willing to overlook a missed grade if the work experience is good, but they look at it on an applicant by applicant basis. So it could be similar at your firm uni. You could always ask the admissions department at your uni.
Do you get to re-submit your work to pass that unit? Are you able to still pass the whole course?
I would also consider making a complaint to the college about the high turnover of staff etc as this has impacted on your learning & you are paying for the course (even if you got the advanced learner loan).
I hope this helps.

Hello! :smile:

This makes me feel a lot better thank you. Im hoping my work experience will cut me some slack at least.

I did resubmit the unit, I failed twice. Like I said though - over half of the students enrolled did too. Frustrating because it was 2 marks!!!

I might still get my award without the unit, I checked the SQA guidelines and that seems to look okay so here's hoping.

I will be putting in a complaint about the way we have been treated this year, it was out of order when we were preparing for university, it might have severely hindered a few of us
Hi everyone!

Thanks guys!

I 100% think it's worthwhile applying to uni, if that's what you want. Make sure that you apply to uni's in reach, and especially with nursing, they will highly regard your incredible work experience!

I am currently doing my A-Levels, and I am dyslexic, and not motivated to work in the slightest, however I am holding a conditional offer to study adult nursing in the 3rd best uni for nursing in the country! I am 100% sure that I received my offer from my work experience, and you have far more than me! You have incredible knowledge and experience under your belt, and that is so highly regarded in a vocational job!

All the best x
Reply 4
Original post by musicgeogecon
I 100% think it's worthwhile applying to uni, if that's what you want. Make sure that you apply to uni's in reach, and especially with nursing, they will highly regard your incredible work experience!

I am currently doing my A-Levels, and I am dyslexic, and not motivated to work in the slightest, however I am holding a conditional offer to study adult nursing in the 3rd best uni for nursing in the country! I am 100% sure that I received my offer from my work experience, and you have far more than me! You have incredible knowledge and experience under your belt, and that is so highly regarded in a vocational job!

All the best x

Hello!

I'm also holding a conditional offer but to RGU, because it's in my city and I can't really relocate.

Thank you so much for your kind words, It's made me feel a bit better. :smile:
I'm just really hoping they will hold it in a high regard like you say, they were really impressed by my NHS experience at interview stage and they offered me a conditional place in less than a week! That really made my day :biggrin: so here's hoping, I will keep this thread updated.

Best of luck to you too! I really hope you get in :smile:
Hello! :smile:

This makes me feel a lot better thank you. Im hoping my work experience will cut me some slack at least.

I did resubmit the unit, I failed twice. Like I said though - over half of the students enrolled did too. Frustrating because it was 2 marks!!!

I might still get my award without the unit, I checked the SQA guidelines and that seems to look okay so here's hoping.

I will be putting in a complaint about the way we have been treated this year, it was out of order when we were preparing for university, it might have severely hindered a few of us

Fingers crossed you can get your award then, it definitely sounds like if it weren't for the issues with the course that you mentioned, you would have passed the unit, as you said so many others are in the same situation too. Hopefully you will get some answers from the college.
Good Luck with everything.
Reply 6
Original post by mel_l218
Fingers crossed you can get your award then, it definitely sounds like if it weren't for the issues with the course that you mentioned, you would have passed the unit, as you said so many others are in the same situation too. Hopefully you will get some answers from the college.
Good Luck with everything.

Thank you Mel. I've emailed the head of the health and social care department and just waiting to hear back from her. Good news is that I've checked my gradebook and been put forward for both of my highers (A levels) so I need two Cs from them :smile: thank you
Reply 7
Hi everyone!

So an update. I spoke to the head of the department and she has said that they can transfer credits from my old certificate from last year to this one as some of the units can be included in the certificate ive just done :smile: so I need to see how my highers go now. Thank you all for the support
(edited 6 years ago)
did you fail your second attempt.
Reply 9
Original post by paulbarlow
did you fail your second attempt.

Yeah
are you allowed to redo the unit.
Reply 11
are you allowed to redo the unit.

No, the only thing going in my favour is most of the enrolled students failed too because of constant lecturer turn over, frequent change in management, strikes and confusion over the course content. So I spoke to the current course manager and she said she can transfer credits from my old certificate to this one
probably best. doesit come with a guarantee of a place on the nurse training. its crap that they messed up and your going to suffer..
Reply 13
probably best. doesit come with a guarantee of a place on the nurse training. its crap that they messed up and your going to suffer..

Yes and no, I have a conditional offer for my local university starting September, so if they're making the credits up I will meet one of the conditions and it's a waiting game until august to see how I did on the other 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending