The Student Room Group

Do gyms offer an induction for new joiners?

Decided to join the local gym, as I just don't have the space at home to house equipment I want to use. Not looking to use anything cardio at the gym as I have that at home, but afraid it might be the only thing I'll be comfortable using if there's no one to show me around!
Do gyms offer inductions where they show you how to use the equipment, change the weights on machines etc. I'll ring up tomorrow but I was just wondering if this is a requirement by law?

Also, do you get funny looks from others if you're using the machine wrong? Not sure whether to treat it like trial and error, as long as I'm not causing any damage to my health. I'd love if someone would just come up to me and show me how to use it properly If I were using it wrong, I'd have masses of respect for that.
yes you can get an induction
Original post by slowdive
Decided to join the local gym, as I just don't have the space at home to house equipment I want to use. Not looking to use anything cardio at the gym as I have that at home, but afraid it might be the only thing I'll be comfortable using if there's no one to show me around!
Do gyms offer inductions where they show you how to use the equipment, change the weights on machines etc. I'll ring up tomorrow but I was just wondering if this is a requirement by law?

Also, do you get funny looks from others if you're using the machine wrong? Not sure whether to treat it like trial and error, as long as I'm not causing any damage to my health. I'd love if someone would just come up to me and show me how to use it properly If I were using it wrong, I'd have masses of respect for that.

Hi, I have been to "The Gym" and "GoldsGym". "The Gym" has induction sessions and for under 18's its compulsory, they also have 1 or 2 free personal trainer sessions when you sign up I believe. GoldGym had an induction tour. So I believe it is the norm for gyms to have this, just ask when you sign up :smile:
Reply 3
You should get an induction, but you can always look on youtube to see how to use various machines if you don't want people to look at you funny (they might anyway :tongue:). You might need to ask specifically for an induction when signing up though.
Reply 4

I've been a member of around 5 gyms in my lifetime. All of them gave an induction, for health and safety reasons, i believe they must do so to satisfy their insurers.
However, the induction is usually quite sparce in terms of information, so if you want to know how to use a specific machine, or where to rack your weights after you are done, just ask. Failing that, most people at the gym are more than happy to point you in the right direction, no one will judge you - they remember they all used to be newbies at the gym once upon a time.
Original post by ThomH97
You should get an induction, but you can always look on youtube to see how to use various machines if you don't want people to look at you funny (they might anyway :tongue:). You might need to ask specifically for an induction when signing up though.

Haha, thank you! I'll definitely ask. I did have a look on youtube but you get typical back and forth comments of "You're supposed to be a professional, you're doing it all wrong. You're going to tear a muscle"
Original post by te159311
I've been a member of around 5 gyms in my lifetime. All of them gave an induction, for health and safety reasons, i believe they must do so to satisfy their insurers.
However, the induction is usually quite sparce in terms of information, so if you want to know how to use a specific machine, or where to rack your weights after you are done, just ask. Failing that, most people at the gym are more than happy to point you in the right direction, no one will judge you - they remember they all used to be newbies at the gym once upon a time.

Oh right, I'm a bit more pleased knowing others won't be too peeved if I interrupt their session. Going to slowly make my way to the weights area as that's all I'm really bothered about :colondollar: I imagine it's dominated by males which is a bit intimidating.
Reply 7
Oh right, I'm a bit more pleased knowing others won't be too peeved if I interrupt their session. Going to slowly make my way to the weights area as that's all I'm really bothered about :colondollar: I imagine it's dominated by males which is a bit intimidating.

Seriously, there's no need to worry. In my first week at the Gym, a female powerlifter showed me where I was going wrong with my squatting technique, admittedly I didn't ask for the help, but I guess she saved me from Injury.

Yes. Not known a gym that doesnt. They might set you a basic program up as well.

Machines are difficult to get wrong. If you look on their website then you cna see what machines they have and then use youtube for 101 videos on how to use them. they also have diagrams on the side.

If they gym is any good then you might find the equipment is a lot better quality than what you have at home especially a concept rower and watt bike if they have them.

If you dont know just ask.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes. Not known a gym that doesnt. They might set you a basic program up as well.

Machines are difficult to get wrong. If you look on their website then you cna see what machines they have and then use youtube for 101 videos on how to use them. they also have diagrams on the side.

If they gym is any good then you might find the equipment is a lot better quality than what you have at home especially a concept rower and watt bike if they have them.

If you dont know just ask.

Thank you, if there's even a diagram on the side of it then I have little to worry about then :tongue:
Thank you, if there's even a diagram on the side of it then I have little to worry about then :tongue:

You can use the machines (some are a lot better than others) and then move onto dumb bells or the cable machine. Rather than be shy ask for the induction and the trainer should be keen but not pushy to help as they will see you as a potential client.

They might also do female weights classes as well, so ask about them
Dont hire a PT or feel pressured to hire one. Only hire one if you want to and can afford it.

Tons of videos and workouts on bodybuiding.com
https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

Quick Reply

Latest