The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

If I miss entry requirements

I've been offered AAB for Chemistry at University of Surrey. Judging by how well exams have gone I think I'm going to get BBB / BBC. What is the chance of being accepted with those grades?
i feel your pain I've been offered AAB at Birmingham and may have missed those grades significantly.
It depends on everyone else
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by factual13
i feel your pain I've been offered AAB at Birmingham and may have missed those grades significantly.
It depends on everyone else

I hate the feeling of knowing you've done all you can but it still might not be enough, just hoping for good news on results day.

Good luck to you!
Thank you! lets hope for the best
Original post by ollyruss
I've been offered AAB for Chemistry at University of Surrey. Judging by how well exams have gone I think I'm going to get BBB / BBC. What is the chance of being accepted with those grades?

Hey @ollyruss,

First of all, don't panic - you never know, you might have surprised yourself!

To be honest, we won't know what results we'll be able to accept until results day (unless of course you've achieved the grades stated in your offer, in which case you'll be able to accept the offer via UCAS).

It all depends on how many people reached their offer grades, how many choose to accept their places and how many places there actually are on the course. For example, one year we might not be able to accept anything lower than AAB for a certain course as there is huge demand for the course and the places were filled by people who achieved the grades that were asked for in their offer. The following year the demand might not be as high, and because there are unfilled places on the programme following results day, we could perhaps accept a slightly lower grade in order to fill all the places on the course.

So, there is no telling how 'lenient' we can be as the situation changes year to year. However, as a rule of thumb, we are not likely to accept anything more than 1-2 grades lower than we have asked for (eg, if we asked for A*AB, we aren't likely to accept ABC). We ask for certain grades as it's important that students who gain access to the course will be able to cope with the academic rigours of that degree.

If it turns out that you don't achieve the grades you expected on results day, we will have a Clearing helpline you can ring for advice. The number for this helpline should be posted on our website from results day onwards.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit for you all! Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll try my best to help :biggrin:

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending