AQA A-Level Biology Paper 3 HELP Watch

Avd12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! I have my final Biology exam on Monday and I'm struggling to revise because I'm not sure what content I need to mainly know. I know the exam is on both AS and A2 but what should I be revising? Should I prioritise revising practical's?
BrumSoulja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Practicals enit, they aint gona ask content questions straight up, it's gona be mixed in practical context, so no point revising content, just know enough content to bang out the essay
lolanewbury
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I agree, I would just look at the old syllabus essay titles and write loads of essays, this will help keep your content revision up as well.
Do the spec paper and textbook synoptic questions too
EsSa770
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have a question regarding the 25 mark question on paper 3:
should I discuss a few topics related to the essay title in great detail, or better I mention many topics in less detail?
Alex1111111111
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can anyone post the list on predicted essay titles. Can't find it anywhere
Alex1111111111
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i'd say more in less detail
(Original post by EsSa770)
should I discuss a few topics related to the essay title in great detail, or better I mention many topics in less detail?
TheWallFlowerxo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My teacher said to write at least 5 topics, so I'd say more topics with less detail but all of what you write has to be relevant
luliloola
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aim to hit at least five or six broader topics, the key is it's a synoptic essay and you'll lose marks for breadth if you don't cover enough topics. For example "describe the importance of cycles in biology" could feature the Calvin cycle, the Krebs cycle, nutrient cycles (N/P), the cell cyle, PCR, and the cardiac cycle. This would cover a wide range of topics from several chapters. You need to be precise but still scientific and detailed. I know it's a hard balance to get
EsSa770
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks!
Also, in the mark scheme it says "For top marks in the band (band 5), the answer shows evidence of reading beyond specification requirements".
What does this mean exactly and how do I know what to research?
luliloola
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alex1111111111)
I can remember these three: describe the importance of cycles in biology, negative feedback (probably osmoregulation focused), and DNA/gene technology
luliloola
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks!
Also, in the mark scheme it says "For top marks in the band (band 5), the answer shows evidence of reading beyond specification requirements".
What does this mean exactly and how do I know what to research?
You need to include information that shows you've read more into something at a higher level than A level. For example, I want to study marine biology so I've researched osmoregulation in bull sharks and photosynthesis in the marine cyanobacteria prochlorococcus Briefly look at a subject you're interested in and see how you could relate it to the topics we're studying
EsSa770
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
WOW! Quiet the career path
Being that I am taking this A level on my own (no classmates or teacher) how would you recommend revising for paper 3?
EsSa770
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alex1111111111)
Here are some titles:
1) The importance to humans of the control of growth, reproduction and development of organisms, including themselves.
2) The importance of proteins in the control of processes and responses in organisms
3) the causes and importance of variation and diversity in organisms
4) how energy is transferred within and between organisms
5) the importance of shapes fitting together in cells and organisms
6) Using DNA in science and technology
7) how bacteria can effect the lives of humans and other organisms
luliloola
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
WOW! Quiet the career path
Being that I am taking this A level on my own (no classmates or teacher) how would you recommend revising for paper 3?
I'm going over all the practicals, practicing essays and generally going over anything I find hard plus topics that haven't come up yet like translocation etc
EsSa770
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by luliloola)
I'm going over all the practicals, practicing essays and generally going over anything I find hard plus topics that haven't come up yet like translocation etc
Right... Did your teacher provide you with a list of topics that are most likely to come up in paper 3?
luliloola
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Right... Did your teacher provide you with a list of topics that are most likely to come up in paper 3?
After paper 2 I spoke to her and she was annoyed because they picked tiny bits from whole topics so they might still come up In general a lot of exchange and mass transport hasn't come up, nutrient cycles, response to stimuli and homeostasis, details of respiration, and gene expression.
EsSa770
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by luliloola)
After paper 2 I spoke to her and she was annoyed because they picked tiny bits from whole topics so they might still come up In general a lot of exchange and mass transport hasn't come up, nutrient cycles, response to stimuli and homeostasis, details of respiration, and gene expression.
That is not very encouraging
I am curious to know, how did your school find paper 2?
luliloola
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That is not very encouraging
I am curious to know, how did your school find paper 2?
we all found it ok, just annoying and confusing
Shivered-Ice
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If possible you need to a strike a balance in the middle because you need both breadth and depth. Also make sure your paragraphs have a coherent flow so it makes sense as a whole and isn't a load of disjointed paragraphs. Hope this helps
EsSa770
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shivered-Ice)
If possible you need to a strike a balance in the middle because you need both breadth and depth. Also make sure your paragraphs have a coherent flow so it makes sense as a whole and isn't a load of disjointed paragraphs. Hope this helps
Great! Thank you very much.
Good luck! 😃
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (253)
32.31%
The paper was reasonable (383)
48.91%
Not feeling great about that exam... (87)
11.11%
It was TERRIBLE (60)
7.66%

Watched Threads