The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2018

Scroll to see replies

Name: Georgia
A fun fact about yourself: i once ate 12 slices of toast in 20 minutes. i also play the violin and went on tour to italy and spain with my orchestra.
What languages will you be studying: chinese
Why these languages: i'm half chinese so i'd love to actually be able to speak to my family :smile:) it's also a beautiful country with extensive culture and history, and the food is tasty
A Level Subjects: History, Economics, Classical Civilisations (Biology and Chemistry dropped at AS)
GCSE Grades: 1A* 7As 3Bs
Which universities will you be applying to: Lancaster, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield
Original post by Salenite
Name: Callum

A fun fact about yourself: I'm one of Scotland's few viol players :redface:

What languages will you be studying: French

Why these languages: French as it's like... my favourite language. It sounds so beautiful in any scenario. Plus, the Francophone world's culture is extremely fascinating and I'd love to find out more about it. it would also open up so many doors to other cultures and languages too, such as Arabic, which I was originally intending on applying to along with French.

Higher Subjects (S6): AH Music and H French, Geography and RMPS. Predicted AAAB, with the B in Geo. Also doing Glasgow's Top-Up programme.

Higher Grades (S5): I did English (A1), Music (A1), Biology (B3), Chemistry (C5) and Maths (C5). Previous wannabe doctor here. Hoping they won't be too much of a problem.

Which universities will you be applying to:
Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling & St Andrews = French
Strathclyde = French & Politics/IR

At least I've finally found my niche :biggrin:

Small update - I'm applying for just French now and not French/Arabic. I looked at admissions statistics from as many of my options as I could and decided it would be much safer applying for just French and then do Arabic modules rather than applying for a joint honours. Still applying for Edinburgh and St Andrews though :biggrin: My firm will be Glasgow and my insurance is most likely going to be Stirling.

My application is well underway and it gets sent December 6th. Very very nervous but I'm hoping for the best!
Name: Katie
A fun fact about yourself: I am an only child
What languages will you be studying: I want to study Chinese, French and maybe Spanish or Russian.
Why these languages: I love languages and want to learn as many as I can throughout my lifetime. I've learnt French since primary school and I fell in love with Chinese when I chose it for GCSE. Russian is really intriguing but I think Chinese and Russian would be painful to learn at the same time - Chinese is already the main consumer of my time. Spanish is similar to French and I regret not being able to do it for GCSE.
A Level Subjects: Chinese, French and Maths. I'm predicted A*AA.
GCSE Grades: 3A*, 6A, 2B
Which universities will you be applying to: Newcastle, Leeds, Edinburgh, Exeter and Nottingham Trent.
Miscellaneous: I am not a big fan of learning about cultures and I prefer language. I would prefer to experience a culture for myself by living there, however I do understand that studying culture is important. Newcastle is my dream university but I'm content with all of my uni choices.
Soooo excited as I got an interview from Pembroke College, Oxford, through on Friday!!!
Original post by oliviaganderton
Soooo excited as I got an interview from Pembroke College, Oxford, through on Friday!!!

Wow well done!!!!! This Friday??? That's a bit soon if so :s-smilie:

Congratulations!! I just received my invite to interview at Lady Margaret Hall but mine isn't until the 7th December. Best of luck!
Hey guys, I have an interview for French and Spanish ab-initio at Cambridge on the 11th December, but I'm really struggling to articulate why I would want to study Spanish over the other ab-initio options, as I've heard this might be a question asked, any ideas?
Reply 127
Original post by bateaux
Hey guys, I have an interview for French and Spanish ab-initio at Cambridge on the 11th December, but I'm really struggling to articulate why I would want to study Spanish over the other ab-initio options, as I've heard this might be a question asked, any ideas?

Didn't know you could do Spanish ab-initio?

I have an interview for French and German ab-intio at Oxford, so for Spanish I'd say it's widely-spoken and hence useful, goes well with French and the pair are both Romance languages. Perhaps you could say you're keen to explore Spanish literature and to compare it with that of French?

Quite hard to say because Spanish is normally widely-taught, as opposed to German. I'm actually doing it for A Level and looking forward to trying something really different.
Reply 128

Congratulations I got one for Trinity, Oxford! Best of luck!
Original post by GuyR99
Didn't know you could do Spanish ab-initio?

I have an interview for French and German ab-intio at Oxford, so for Spanish I'd say it's widely-spoken and hence useful, goes well with French and the pair are both Romance languages. Perhaps you could say you're keen to explore Spanish literature and to compare it with that of French?

Quite hard to say because Spanish is normally widely-taught, as opposed to German. I'm actually doing it for A Level and looking forward to trying something really different.

Yeah you can do Spanish ab-initio haha, thanks for your help, good luck for your interview!
Original post by bateaux

I'm guessing that they'll kind of build on why you've expressed interest in picking up Spanish in your PS.. did you do any wider reading/watch any Spanish films? If not, perhaps watching some might be beneficial so that you can talk about them in your interview :smile: I'm struggling to find a solid reason as to why I want to do Arabic, like I know I'm so interested in it but it's one of those questions where it holds so much weight that I can't exactly articulate why :tongue:
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
I'm guessing that they'll kind of build on why you've expressed interest in picking up Spanish in your PS.. did you do any wider reading/watch any Spanish films? If not, perhaps watching some might be beneficial so that you can talk about them in your interview :smile: I'm struggling to find a solid reason as to why I want to do Arabic, like I know I'm so interested in it but it's one of those questions where it holds so much weight that I can't exactly articulate why :tongue:

I'm the same! I did some wider reading around the history of mexico that I mentioned in my personal statement so I'll try to develop on that and maybe read a short story, thanks and good luck!
Original post by bateaux
I'm the same! I did some wider reading around the history of mexico that I mentioned in my personal statement so I'll try to develop on that and maybe read a short story, thanks and good luck!

Yeah deffo do that. Good luck to you too. I love the MML department at Cambridge :smile:
Name: Kitty
A fun fact about yourself: I'm on a gap year + have a job in a university
What languages will you be studying: French, German + ab initio Dutch
Why these languages: I did French and German for A-level and I love them both for different reasons. The Netherlands is a pretty cool country, the lecturers and course at Sheffield seem great, and Dutch is similar to German so I feel comfortable with it (I know that sounds weird :biggrin:)
A Level Subjects: French, German, English Language
GCSE Grades: 2A* 6A 2B
AS Grades: AAB
A-level Grades: A*BB
Going to go to (deferred place for 2018): Sheffield
Also applied to last year: Cardiff (insurance), Nottingham, Birmingham, Swansea
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Wow well done!!!!! This Friday??? That's a bit soon if so :s-smilie:

Found out last Friday, Interview is next Thursday/Friday sorry haha I phrased it poorly
Original post by bateaux

If you're still looking for reasons, you could think about linking it to the country/countries you want to go to/live in. (Talk about your interest in South America, if you have any.)
Original post by KittyN
Name: Kitty
A fun fact about yourself: I'm on a gap year + have a job in a university
What languages will you be studying: French, German + ab initio Dutch
Why these languages: I did French and German for A-level and I love them both for different reasons. The Netherlands is a pretty cool country, the lecturers and course at Sheffield seem great, and Dutch is similar to German so I feel comfortable with it (I know that sounds weird :biggrin:)
A Level Subjects: French, German, English Language
GCSE Grades: 2A* 6A 2B
AS Grades: AAB
A-level Grades: A*BB
Going to go to (deferred place for 2018): Sheffield
Also applied to last year: Cardiff (insurance), Nottingham, Birmingham, Swansea

I'm hoping to do German and Dutch (without French) at Sheffield!! We did the same A-levels too :biggrin:
I've just posted this in the Oxford thread, so there may be a little bit of overlap, but just in case there is anyone here who is applying to Oxford this year, I've just written a blog post about my experiences being interviewed for German and Russian last year (I'm now a fresher at Oxford). Hopefully it will be helpful for some of you! :h:

Spoiler

Found out last Friday, Interview is next Thursday/Friday sorry haha I phrased it poorly

Ah ok, wow I did think that was very short notice to give :biggrin:
Hi,
I’ve applied to Bristol, Newcastle, Cardiff, Manchester and QMUL to do French and Portuguese and I’ve received 4/5 offers already but I have an applicant day with an interview at Manchester tomorrow!! Is there anyone who has been to one of the applicant days at Manchester who could just let me know what the interview part is like??
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending