The Student Room Group

MAT Prep Thread 2017 [2nd November 2017]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by premedmath
I highly recommend you people to think about Mathematics and Computer Science.
I went to Imperial (Huxley Building)TM to do my Joint Mathematics and Computer Science interview and got a chance to ask questions to the professors and the current students. The professor said that employers love JMC students. He said JP MorganTM gives out 500 GBP to top 15 of the JMC students for absolutely no reason, Goldman SachsTM thinks 30 something students is just not enough, AmadeusTM thinks JMC students are better than MIT students. Students got internships in the United States in AppleTM in California, CodecademyTM in New York City, and other European regions. A current student I met did his internship in FacebookTM. Some students showed me a project they did (Sponsored by MicrosoftTM) and it was basically applying high level computing techniques to fly multiple (100+) drones the most efficient way possible and they showed me a simulation of it and it was really interesting.
Holy Product Placement, Batman!

Have to say, cynically, that this fits in my (undoubtedly biased) image of Imperial students - far more interested in where they're going to end up working than about their course.

It's not all just computer science though. The professor said JMC students do more Mathematics than MIT Mathematics undergraduates and you can basically apply to either Computer Science PhDs or Mathematics PhDs or even Biology PhD programs.

However, if you're the kind of person who does not want lessons / tutorials from 9 AM to 5 PM, it isn't the course for you. Honestly was shocked at the JMC timetable.
Yeah, "work you hard" has always been Imperial's unoffiical motto.
Original post by GcseLad-_-
@gavinlowe What was the average MAT score for all applicants, now that they have been marked, Thanks for your help :smile:

Pretty sure he said around 50 a week(+) ago.
Is there something seriously not right because I haven't heard from Oxford yet and everyone else has. Sorry to ask again but it's kinda torture coz everyone else has heard.
Original post by Eddy253
Is there something seriously not right because I haven't heard from Oxford yet and everyone else has. Sorry to ask again but it's kinda torture coz everyone else has heard.

My friend applied for Maths and Philosophy and still hasn't heard back. They should get back to you before Sunday.
Ah cheers. That's a relief. Is Sunday an official cut off point then?
Original post by Eddy253
Ah cheers. That's a relief. Is Sunday an official cut off point then?

Yes, they must let the applicants know 7 days before the interview date.
Yes, they must let the applicants know 7 days before the interview date.

Sweet, cheers for sorting that one out.
Now I look back to the MAT paper we did I realised how easy it was smh
Original post by Disregarded7017
Now I look back to the MAT paper we did I realised how easy it was smh

Same. I wont say easy but rather how "doable" the questions were if I hadnt panicked during the exam!
For real man, its all the time pressure and exam pressure. Question 2 looks so easy now I try it
Original post by Rohan77642
Same. I wont say easy but rather how "doable" the questions were if I hadnt panicked during the exam!
For real man, its all the time pressure and exam pressure. Question 2 looks so easy now I try it

Yeah. And we were thinking after the exam that this was the hardest paper ever hahaha.
Oh well! Maybe if I perform really well in my IB and in STEP 1,2 I might consider reapplying. Havent give up on the Oxbridge dream yet haha.
I am just concerned that I won't ever get a MAT like this again lol. Just out of interest, why you doing STEP 1,2?
Yeah. And we were thinking after the exam that this was the hardest paper ever hahaha.
Oh well! Maybe if I perform really well in my IB and in STEP 1,2 I might consider reapplying. Havent give up on the Oxbridge dream yet haha.
I am just concerned that I won't ever get a MAT like this again lol. Just out of interest, why you doing STEP 1,2?

Just cause I really wanna be in a position where I can consider reapplying to Oxford. If I manage to get good grades in STEP 1,2 then that might even mean that I can consider Cambridge next year if I reapply :smile:.
Just don't feel as if I did myself justice after the MAT, really very dissapointed in myself.
Original post by DFranklin
Holy Product Placement, Batman!

Have to say, cynically, that this fits in my (undoubtedly biased) image of Imperial students - far more interested in where they're going to end up working than about their course.

Ha! (No, you’re right, at least based on my experience of having studied there.)

Yeah, "work you hard" has always been Imperial's unoffiical motto.

JMC has turned into a degree with a genuinely large workload... I would say on a par with Cambridge NatSci. Maths was thankfully less than that. I had the opportunity to take extra courses and read around, but I was very much in the minority, and even very clever people ended up getting stressed with the standard workload.

I would say that lots of unis offer some fantastic opportunities... I like Warwick’s offering more and more, and I think UCL has, deservedly, a good reputation. It’s not just about the “prestige” of the uni, if you love maths, you’re very lucky in that just about any uni will give you the platform to really explore it. The difference is that in some unis you might be doing more extra, “unstructured” learning than say Oxford or Cambridge.

Even at Oxford or Cambridge, I would recommend people interested in certain disciplines to do more than what’s on offer.
yeah i suppose thats true, isn't it hard for you to cope with STEP with your IB test? Sorry i don't know much about IB, I'm assuming it takes place in June
Just cause I really wanna be in a position where I can consider reapplying to Oxford. If I manage to get good grades in STEP 1,2 then that might even mean that I can consider Cambridge next year if I reapply :smile:.
Just don't feel as if I did myself justice after the MAT, really very dissapointed in myself.

Just to let you know, you can't apply to Cambridge whilst studying in another university unless you get a letter from the head of school / department.
yeah i suppose thats true, isn't it hard for you to cope with STEP with your IB test? Sorry i don't know much about IB, I'm assuming it takes place in June

No the good thing about IB is that the exams are in May, and I have my last exam on the 17th of May and STEP 1 is on the 12th of June.
So I have a full month to prepare only for STEP.
Just to let you know, you can't apply to Cambridge whilst studying in another university unless you get a letter from the head of school / department.

Yeah I know. I'll most likely decide on whether or not I wanna take a gap year based on my STEP and IB grades.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to attend warwick or imperial (if they decide to give an offer).
I wanna take STEP just to see how I do. And if I actually do really well then only will I consider taking a gap year and reapplying for Oxbridge. If I dont do well on STEP, and meet my IB offer, then I will happily go to warwick or Imperial and be honoured to study maths there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has already been asked but has anyone received a reduced offer for Warwick maths from the MAT? Any ideas about timescales or what kind of mark you'd need?
I felt like my MAT was pretty average, probably 50-70 range, but managed to get an interview at Oxford with it so it can't have been terrible. Also I did the MAT for Maths and CompSci - will that make a difference to Warwick maths looking at the MAT or do they just get the score? I put Warwick MMath down when I registered for the MAT.
Ahh lucky you man, if i have to take STEP it will be in middle of my A level exams and thats primarily the reason why i chose oxford instead. anyways best of luck of your rest of the application
No the good thing about IB is that the exams are in May, and I have my last exam on the 17th of May and STEP 1 is on the 12th of June.
So I have a full month to prepare only for STEP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending