The Student Room Group

Declaring grades? URGENT! REPLY ASAP! U

Do you have to declare U's on UCAS?? PLEASE REPLY ASAP!!

My head of 6th form seems to believe that you don't have to declare U grades on UCAS and that since I only have AS grades in half of my subjects, uni's will believe that I got a U in my other subjects and I'm just not declaring it, even though I havent sat any AS exams in my other subjects!

UPDATE: Spoke to UCAS on twitter and you must declare all grades!!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by new1234

Yes, otherwise it is fraud.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to put in U grades on UCAS as it is a qualification you have sat and if you don't, your application can be taken off for being inaccurate. That's how I understand it, having gone through the process for 2017 entry.
Original post by eruditeprincess
You have to put in U grades on UCAS as it is a qualification you have sat and if you don't, your application can be taken off for being inaccurate. That's how I understand it, having gone through the process for 2017 entry.

Got it right!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you, everyone! My head of 6th form seems to believe that you don't have to declare U grades on UCAS and that since I only have AS grades in half of my subjects, uni's will believe that I got a U in my other subjects and I'm just not declaring it, even though I havent sat any AS exams in my other subjects!
Original post by DreamlinerFinder

Good! I'd hope so, seeing as I'm holding an offer from a uni conditional on my grades and I can't really lose that! Thankfully, I did actually declare all my grades on my application (even the E in psych AS)
Original post by new1234
Thank you, everyone! My head of 6th form seems to believe that you don't have to declare U grades on UCAS and that since I only have AS grades in half of my subjects, uni's will believe that I got a U in my other subjects and I'm just not declaring it, even though I havent sat any AS exams in my other subjects!

Have they mentioned that your AS grades need declared independently of the A-level ones, and repeated on the A-level if modular?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Have they mentioned that your AS grades need declared independently of the A-level ones, and repeated on the A-level if modular?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They said I have to declare my AS grade in Psychology but I am continuing it as an A-Level so it will be overided by that anyway. Basically they said because I dont have AS qualifications in any of my other subjects it will look like I got U's in them and just dont want to declare it because apparently you dont have to declare U's on UCAS according to head of 6th form.
Reply 8
Original post by eruditeprincess
Good! I'd hope so, seeing as I'm holding an offer from a uni conditional on my grades and I can't really lose that! Thankfully, I did actually declare all my grades on my application (even the E in psych AS)

Did you continue Psychology as an A-Level?
Original post by new1234
They said I have to declare my AS grade in Psychology but I am continuing it as an A-Level so it will be overided by that anyway. Basically they said because I dont have AS qualifications in any of my other subjects it will look like I got U's in them and just dont want to declare it because apparently you dont have to declare U's on UCAS according to head of 6th form.

If Psychology is still modular, the AS grade makes up your A-level grade. Have a look at the declaring grades FAQ on here as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
If Psychology is still modular, the AS grade makes up your A-level grade. Have a look at the declaring grades FAQ on here as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No its not modular! Is there anywhere official that says that I have to declare U grades so i can show my teahcer?
Original post by new1234
No its not modular! Is there anywhere official that says that I have to declare U grades so i can show my teahcer?

It will be on the UCAS website somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where. :sorry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
It will be on the UCAS website somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where. :sorry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/entering-levels-and-levels-your-ucas-application
This is all i've found in regards to declaring grades.
Original post by new1234

My head of 6th form seems to believe that you don't have to declare U grades on UCAS and that since I only have AS grades in half of my subjects, uni's will believe that I got a U in my other subjects and I'm just not declaring it, even though I havent sat any AS exams in my other subjects!

I posted a similar thread a few months ago when I was applying to university. I had to delete it though in case it was traced back to my college. Basically, I rang UCAS up a total of 3 times to ask 3 different people the exact same question - "do I have to declare every AS grade on my application, even if I'm resitting and the grade is awful?" the answer is always yes. I also spoke to a representative at Peterhouse Cambridge, although I haven't applied there, and they told me the exact same thing.

You have to disclose your full educational history, otherwise you can get called out on it.
Original post by new1234

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

See section 6

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by amy_kings
I got a U for Chemistry AS and then dropped the subject. I didn't declare this grade but wish I did! It caused no ends of problems once I received my offers.. no uni could give me an unconditional offer because there was a message flagging on my account saying that I had incomplete grades. Even though I had the required UCAS points they couldn't do anything until my U appeared on the system. This took about a week to resolve and at that point I had missed the deadline to respond to my 1st choice and accommodation was full for my next choices and the only uni left was my back up.

If I was you, I'd declare the U to avoid future problems :smile:

Lol I dont have any U's but my head of 6th form said it might look like I do when I take AS qualifications in only half my subjects and then it'll look like I didnt declare the rest of my AS qualifications coz I got U's when in reality I just didnt take any others.
Original post by new1234
Lol I dont have any U's but my head of 6th form said it might look like I do when I take AS qualifications in only half my subjects and then it'll look like I didnt declare the rest of my AS qualifications coz I got U's when in reality I just didnt take any others.

Ignore them, they evidently don't know what they're doing in terms of this, if you don't declare all certificated qualifications, you can either get your offers revoked, or get thrown out of Uni.
P.S, what A-levels are you taking, as they may be primarily linear, and so the AS's don't matter so much as a qualification?
Reply 17
Ignore them, they evidently don't know what they're doing in terms of this, if you don't declare all certificated qualifications, you can either get your offers revoked, or get thrown out of Uni.
P.S, what A-levels are you taking, as they may be primarily linear, and so the AS's don't matter so much as a qualification?

Yeah I've learnt to do my own research instead of trusting them.
Basically I'm doing Psychology, Biology and Law(this is AS and A2) and was doing English until I realised I would get a C and not get any offers from uni''s. After realising this I decided I want to drop english and pick Psychology up again which I already dropped and sat the AS in. Now after a long day at school with teachers being so annoying and rude I have eventually reached the solution that I will be continuing with both English and Psychology until results day this year at which point if I get a D or higher in my AS of Psychology I can continue with it. Why this matters I have no idea and to be honest the school look for any excuse to tell me no but after realising that I'm not gonna stop they have given me this option, so I thought this is the best I'm gonna get. Then my head of 6th form decides to tell me you dont have to declare U's in your AS's so when you only declare your psychology AS they will think you got U's in your other subjects coz you havent declared any AS's in them. Far-fetched much? The fact that uni's will assume grades lol. I contacted UCAS and they said uni's wouldnt assume annything like that so shows how far-fetched her lie was. Now I have 2 option: email her the picture I took of my convo with UCAS and tell her she was wrong or wait until results day where I get higher than a D in Psychology and tell her I am dropping english now if that's okay with you.

Sorry for the long message I felt like ranting.
Original post by new1234
Yeah I've learnt to do my own research instead of trusting them.
Basically I'm doing Psychology, Biology and Law(this is AS and A2) and was doing English until I realised I would get a C and not get any offers from uni''s. After realising this I decided I want to drop english and pick Psychology up again which I already dropped and sat the AS in. Now after a long day at school with teachers being so annoying and rude I have eventually reached the solution that I will be continuing with both English and Psychology until results day this year at which point if I get a D or higher in my AS of Psychology I can continue with it. Why this matters I have no idea and to be honest the school look for any excuse to tell me no but after realising that I'm not gonna stop they have given me this option, so I thought this is the best I'm gonna get. Then my head of 6th form decides to tell me you dont have to declare U's in your AS's so when you only declare your psychology AS they will think you got U's in your other subjects coz you havent declared any AS's in them. Far-fetched much? The fact that uni's will assume grades lol. I contacted UCAS and they said uni's wouldnt assume annything like that so shows how far-fetched her lie was. Now I have 2 option: email her the picture I took of my convo with UCAS and tell her she was wrong or wait until results day where I get higher than a D in Psychology and tell her I am dropping english now if that's okay with you.

Sorry for the long message I felt like ranting.

Ok, that seems like someone uncertain, I won't give you advice on your options, but do what you think is best, and your message actually isn't as long as some
Whenever you're unsure about such things, then just contact the relevant people directly and don't take unnecessary risks. It is rather strange that your head of college did not seem to be aware of this widely known fact. Yes, you have to declare all of your grades on UCAS. Make sure you notify him about this so he does not inadvertently mislead anyone in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending