The Student Room Group

How to Reduce Your Bad Cholesterol Level without Medication?

What are best natural remedies to control cholesterol?
Reply 1
What's wrong with medication? If a doctor has prescribed you something then take it, they don't spend years and years training for nothing.

Also change your diet.
Original post by sophiayoung

exercise
Reply 3
Cider vinegar.
There is no bad or good cholesterol. Cholesterol is cholesterol. When people talk about good vs bad, they're talking about the cholesterol carriers i.e LDL and HDL. Medications do work, but unless your cholesterol level are very high or you have other risk factor, they tend not to be prescribed much as primary prevention. Obviously if you already have other conditions then you'd need them for secondary prevention.

If you're just simply health conscious without other risk factors then my advice would be, of course to be more active and exercise. Also, try to stay away from fried food. e.g instead of frying your eggs, poach or boil them.

(I am not a doctor...) but reducing saturated fats may help.

My dad had high col and they tried to put him on meds. Instead he completely kicked the milk/dairy and fatty red meats and his levels dropped significantly.
Reply 6
Directly-sourced Saturated Fat isn't actually the main problem (i.e from greasy foods). LDLs facilitate the transfer of fats around the body. However Glucose is actually the hidden killer. It's in most foods and an excess of it is usually converted in the liver into fatty acids.

Fatty acids can be quickly converted into Triglycerides (a form of fat) via reaction of Glycerol and Fatty acids (which are derived from glucose). This is primarily used as an energy storage system (eventually converts to ATP) but can accumulate if you have a very sugary-diet.

Alcoholic drinks, if drank in excess, can also be a hidden source of fat due to the presence of large amounts of starch, which is in reality, a large polymer consisting of repeat units of 1,4 Alpha-Glycosidic bonds. Easily hydrolysed to glucose via amylase. Which can then be converted into fat.

So cut down on Saturated fat, sugar and beer.
(edited 6 years ago)
by lowering your calorie intake.
I have a condition called familial hypercholesterolaemia which was inherited from my dad which means my cholesterol is sky high permanently due to a gene mutation, this means it can only be controlled by medication and no diet will help

Quick Reply

Latest