The Student Room Group

English Literature Applicants 2018

Scroll to see replies

University choices: Bristol, Manchester, Cardiff, Liverpool, LJMU
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English Literature, Psychology, History and EPQ
Predicted grades: AAB (unknown for EPQ)
GCSE grades: 1 A*, 5 As and 6 Bs
Why English?: I love how one piece of literature can be so personal to every person who reads it. Also I just love reading :smile:))))

Received offers from Bristol, Liverpool, Cardiff and LJMU and just sent off the assessment for Manchester!! Over the moon right now.
Original post by Lauren73
University choices: Oxford (Balliol), UCL, Kings, Bristol, and UEA (to do with creative writing)
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English literature, maths and psychology
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*
AS grades: B
GCSE grades: 6A*s 4As and 1B
Why English?: I just love it so much - I don't think I could live without it!
Offers: Bristol, Kings, and interview at UCL

Good luck everyone!

Update - unconditional offer form UEA if firmed - AAB if not!!! So excited!

has anyone heard back from UCL? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lauren73
Update - unconditional offer form UEA if firmed - AAB if not!!! So excited!

has anyone heard back from UCL? :smile:

Not yet unfortunately, had my interview on the 8th.
Original post by fkusa91
Has anyone heard from Edinburgh about English yet?

I (American applicant) have received an unconditional offer for Lang and lit :smile: Best of!
Congrats!!
University Choices: Applied to Southampton, Portsmouth, Sussex and Surrey. I got offers from all but confirmed my place at Southampton.
What subject(s) are you currently studying?: English Lit, Maths and Physics.
Predicted A2 Grades: A*AA.
AS Results: B in Maths.
GCSE Grades: 1A* and 9As.
Why English?: I love reading and find the contexts for each text really interesting.

Good luck to everyone applying! Anyone else applying/ going to Southampton?
University choices: Cambridge (Queens'), Durham, Sussex, King's, Brighton
I am an EU applicant, therefore our Diploma is entirely different from Alevels
I chose English because despite the language not being my native one, it feels completely natural using it, and literature is the best way to dive into the culture and morals of a particular nation. Furthermore, books for dayz ya feel me?

I already have offers from Sussex, King's and Brighton, and had an interview at Cam on 7th Dec
Good luck with your applications!

Edit: Rejected from Cam and Durham; Firm: King's Insurance: Sussex

Tbf I'm quite content with how things turned out, I ADORE both universities. Hopefully see some of you guys this autumn!!
(edited 6 years ago)
University choices: Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Exeter
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English History German
Predicted A2 grades: I’m doing Scottish Advanced Highers and I’m predicted AAA (we don’t have A*)
AS grades: in my Scottish Highers I got A(band1) in English A(band1) in History A in maths A in german and B in osychology
GCSE grades: 7As in National5
Why English?: because it’s lit

Offers so far:
Exeter - Unconditional
Durham- AAA
Cambridge - interview
Original post by suzannaaoliver
University choices: UCL, KCL, Bristol, Edinburgh and Surrey
What subject(s) are currently studying?: English Lit, Psychology and Sociology (and an EPQ)
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A
AS grades: AAAC
GCSE grades: 4 A*s, 2 As, 3 Bs and 1 C
Why English?: I can't imagine myself not doing English at uni, I just love it a lot!

I've got offers from Surrey (ABB or unconditional if firmed), King's (AAA), Bristol (AAA) and Edinburgh (ABB), incredibly grateful and happy!

Has anyone heard from UCL?
I've got offers from Surrey (ABB or unconditional if firmed), King's (AAA), Bristol (AAA) and Edinburgh (ABB), incredibly grateful and happy!

Has anyone heard from UCL?

Nope nothing! Driving me mad haha. Acknowledgement on November 14th and its been very quiet ever since...
Original post by caloader
Nope nothing! Driving me mad haha. Acknowledgement on November 14th and its been very quiet ever since...

Ah, I get the feeling! Although I suppose I shouldn't complain, you've been waiting a while longer than I have haha. Where else did you apply?
Ah, I get the feeling! Although I suppose I shouldn't complain, you've been waiting a while longer than I have haha. Where else did you apply?

Kings, Surrey, Queen Mary's and Goldsmith's (though I shouldn't complain since I have offers from those 4). What about you? Where else did you apply and how is your application going?
Kings, Surrey, Queen Mary's and Goldsmith's (though I shouldn't complain since I have offers from those 4). What about you? Where else did you apply and how is your application going?

I've applied to King's and Surrey as well! :smile: Along with Bristol and Edinburgh. I've also had offers from all 4 thankfully, so I should also stop complaining hahaha. I can't help but still feel anxious about UCL though! Are you leaning towards any of your options as being a potential first choice at the moment?
I've applied to King's and Surrey as well! :smile: Along with Bristol and Edinburgh. I've also had offers from all 4 thankfully, so I should also stop complaining hahaha. I can't help but still feel anxious about UCL though! Are you leaning towards any of your options as being a potential first choice at the moment?

Same haha I'm really nervous about UCL! At the moment I'm leaning towards Kings as my first choice (and if i don't hear from UCL) with Surrey as my insurance. What about you?
Choices: Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Warwick, UCL
A2 grades. A*AA and an AS grade B
GCSE grades: 3A* 5A 2B 2C
Why English: can’t imaging studying anything else
Choices: Exeter, Nottingham, Bristol, UCL, Cambridge
A level subjects: English lit, history, politics
Offers received: Exeter AAA, Nottingham AAA, Bristol AAA
Why English: deffo wouldn't study anything else.

Had my Cambridge interview in December (applied to Magdalene) will hear back from them in 5 days...
Haven't heard back from UCL yet :frown:
Choices: Cambridge (Queens'), Exeter, York, UCL and East Anglia
A Level Subjects: English Lit, History and Religious Studies
Predicted A*A*A
Offers received: York (AAA/A*AB), Exeter (AAA or AAB if I put them as my firm) and East Anglia (AAB or an unconditional upgrade if I put them as my firm)
Why English: I'd find it hard to summarise

Will hear back from Cambridge on Wednesday - good luck to everyone else!

Sent my application off nearly 4 months ago and still silence from UCL - saw in the UCL English thread some had had offers and now I'm worried as I absolutely loved it! Hoping they're just slow for some... :frown:
Same haha I'm really nervous about UCL! At the moment I'm leaning towards Kings as my first choice (and if i don't hear from UCL) with Surrey as my insurance. What about you?

Ah Kings is definitely an amazing choice! I'm verrry indecisive so right now its between Bristol and Kings for me, and I'm also really interested in UCL so if I do get manage to get an offer that's just going to add to my confusion and indecisiveness hahaha. Surrey will likely be my insurance too!
Choices: St Andrews- english and psychology, Durham- English but under liberal arts, Kings College London, Birmingham, Surrey. ( Bit of a mess of combinations; drafting personal statements was hell)
A level subjects- English literature, Biology, psychology, History
Predicted- A*AAB
Offers received- only kings so far for AAA UPDATE- received an offer for Surrey ABB or unconditional if firmed!
Why English- it's always featured in my life in one way or the other and I just can't imagine not studying it any longer I guess
(edited 6 years ago)
Choices: English Lit (Q300) at Oxford, Durham, Leeds, Edinburgh, Hull
A level subjects: English Literature, History, Business Studies
Predicted- A*AA
Offers: Oxford - Rejection (after interview), Durham - still waiting, Leeds - Conditional AAB, Edinburgh -Conditional ABB, Hull - Unconditional

Just had my oxford rejection this morning so praying for Durham now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending