The Student Room Group

Wtf is wrong with uni rankings??!

Hi everyone I've had a look at the rankings recently and I can't understand how the bloody system works! Take Manchester for example; on complete university guide it can't even get into the top 30 for accounting and finance, yet on the qs WORLD rankings it's ranked 19th for the same subject, the 4th uk uni after Oxbridge and LSE. When making application choices can rankings really be trusted with discrepancies like these. What should one keep in mind when applying?
Original post by oliverg1313
Hi everyone I've had a look at the rankings recently and I can't understand how the bloody system works! Take Manchester for example; on complete university guide it can't even get into the top 30 for accounting and finance, yet on the qs WORLD rankings it's ranked 19th for the same subject, the 4th uk uni after Oxbridge and LSE. When making application choices can rankings really be trusted with discrepancies like these. What should one keep in mind when applying?

UK rankings focus more on undergraduate experience e.g. student satisfaction, quality of teaching. World rankings are much more focused on research.

You need to understand the formula for deciding the ranking and then consider the merits of it. If they use a different formula then they will get different results. I wouldnt get hung up on them.
Reply 3

World rankings are all over the place and mean very little. Some focus on student numbers and size and others how well known of number of citations. National rankings are often better.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
You need to understand the formula for deciding the ranking and then consider the merits of it. If they use a different formula then they will get different results. I wouldnt get hung up on them.

So if I want to look at specifically employment/graduate prospects, should I look at say high flyers report instead of complete uni guide/guardian?
Most important criteria:entry standards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending