The Student Room Group

Is having to resit an LPC module for the first time failing at the first attempt?

I have to resit my business module for my full time LPC, this is the only exams i have failed and i have two more attempts at retakes. At nottingham law school we have 3 attempts to pass the individual modules. I assumed that this means that if i do pass i would pass 'at the second attempt', however i have seen people say that this would still constitute a pass at the first attempt providing i pass it within my 3 allocated resits.

Logically i think that If i was to completely fail the stage one part of the course (after 3 resits), then reenrol and pass, surely this would be 'the second attempt' not just a resit of one individual module.

I understand that i have not passed each 'assessment' at the first attempt, but would i pass the whole LPC on my first attempt if i resit and pass?

Also, i am allowed 2 referrals however on firms websites there is no option for the grade 'passed on third attempt', which makes me think it would be my first attempt if i passed?

Basically, if i pass these resits and i pass the LPC overall, would it be my first attempt or second attempt?

Any advice is welcome i'm very confused

thanks
@JSP

Be interested to hear your take on this, especially as its more of a recruiting term. I've already stated my view on it plus I'd expect employers to know exactly what they mean by the phrase if they sue it and will define it?
Original post by J-SP
As I said in the PG forum where the same question was posted, unfortunately I don't know. All the firms I worked for had a pretty strict requirement on resits which meant that it would have never got to the point of re-taking a module/elective more than once.

For the record i have not yet resat the exam, i am yet to take my first resit

My main issue is that i don't believe resitting one single module on just one occasion, should be the same as failing a whole LPC stage due to failing the same assessment 3 times, then retaking. The result of both would be 'passing on the second attempt'.

If a whole LPC stage is retaken, would either of you still consider this to just be a 'pass at second attempt'?

What do either of you take from the extract from the SRA?

i appreciate your help, thank you
Original post by J-SP
As I said in the PG forum where the same question was posted, unfortunately I don't know. All the firms I worked for had a pretty strict requirement on resits which meant that it would have never got to the point of re-taking a module/elective more than once.

Thanks I think its an old phrase from long ago that has stuck. With standards being so high then its not expected people fail anything, even though that happens. I think its different if you already have a TC then they will be more forgiving, but if someone were to say it in a job advert, then Id be thinking there is an expectation you pass without any resits at all. The OP will find out soon enough if he hasnt got a TC and they will have the transcript anyway. If someone uses the phrase then I expect they know what they mean by it. Perhaps the OP can convince them his and his friends interpretation is correct?
Original post by J-SP
Firms are not that forgiving with their future trainees!

Guess it depends on the job being advertised, but I can't remember ever seeing the term used in a job advert. Most firms will just look closely at the transcript anyway - thats the only reference I have ever used, well that and questions on applications asking if the applicants has ever had to resit an exam.

Depends which firm , where discretion is concerned then you arent going to get uniformity. Ive seen them be fine and also not so fine.
The phrase is an old one and havent heard it for a while. I'd think it meant without resits/ any fails, but the OP can find out what it means by asking the person who made it. Exams are really brutal.
If you are resitting an exam, I don't see how you can say you've passed it on the first attempt. You didn't pass that exam on the first attempt.

If a particular firm has a rule which says you must pass all exams on the first attempt, I think you unfortunately fall foul of that rule.

I think it is stretching the imagination to read "first attempt" as meaning "up to the maximum permitted three attempts before you have to retake the entire course".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending