The Student Room Group

Graduate job paying £30,000 or masters degree

I'm torn between either accepting a graduate job or doing a masters degree. I graduated last week and my plan was to always do a master degree straight after. I applied to this job opening 2 months ago that I found interesting and the pay was great. After a long process they gave me a job offer surprisingly.
Do you think I should accept this or do a masters instead?. Most people receive 2.1's and I feel like a masters would make me more employable in the future.
Original post by Emre1996
I'm torn between either accepting a graduate job or doing a masters degree. I graduated last week and my plan was to always do a master degree straight after. I applied to this job opening 2 months ago that I found interesting and the pay was great. After a long process they gave me a job offer surprisingly.
Do you think I should accept this or do a masters instead?. Most people receive 2.1's and I feel like a masters would make me more employable in the future.

Depends a lot on how much added value the masters will give you. For example, if it's at a considerably better university that the one you did your undergrad at, how relevant the masters is to any job that you would apply for.

Also depends on whether the job for which you have an offer is a good scheme with good progression. If it is then I would take the job. I was in a similar predicament and after speaking with quite a few experienced graduates, I decided to take the graduate offer. Nearly all of the people I spoke to mentioned how your degree performance doesn't necessarily make you employable. Employers use it as a checkbox and are more interested in your expertise and experience.
Go for the job, I would. Very, very few graduates get offered a job paying that much so soon after graduation. You can do a masters at any time, whereas this opportunity may not be given to you again any time soon. Plus, you can gain work experience, earn and save money and generally take a break from education for a while, placing you in a prime position for a masters course later in life, should you choose.
Job now masters later
Reply 4
Personally I would suggest accepting the job.

Obviously everyone has a different experience and background, but I personally found it difficult to get a job even with a masters degree. The job market is extremely competitive, turning down an offer without having something else guaranteed is a risk. Most grad positions only require that you have an undergrad degree - there arent too many roles that I found (although that may differ by industry) that require you to have a master degree.

If you think that a maters degree would open up a lot of different roles that you would find more attractive, and potentially get you a better salary then I would suggest doing that. But 30k starting is a good offer. By taking that you have the opportunity to get some experience and go back to do the masters later.

The Master's isn't going to make you more employable than the job except in a very few roles. There should be no doubt at all, you can do a Masters at any stage, but take the job now.
I agree with the others, take the job. Masters only really increases employability for jobs which directly ask for a masters, or if you wanted to work in something different to your undergrad, so used a masters as a route to it.

Other than that, your employability would benefit more from actual work experience, rather than more academic experience. So I'd say go for the job, especially when considering the wages are considerably higher than for many recent graduates!
As above - take the job.

The biggest issue for anyone with a masters straight after a degree is 'no experience' - you'd still be a fresh grad with no relevant work experience. Employers want experience not bits of paper.

So - take the job - you have already cracked that bit, and the masters can come later - if necessary.
decent job > msc any day of the week

tbh, unemployment > msc
Reply 9

Unless the job would take you in a very different direction to the masters, or you have got a good grant for the masters which may be difficult to get in the future, the job every time.

Jobs, especially decent ones, are much harder to get into than masters degrees, and a couple of years of good experience is generally far more valuable.

Another, normally unspoken, benefit is that if you dont like the job particularly you can leave to take a masters with some experience and a good excuse for leaving when you look for a new job.
Reply 10
Perhaps enquire if your employers would find your Master's after a couple of years of working there?

Hey, I was wondering which route have you end up choosing ? Masters or the £30k job? and how are you finding it so far?

I am in a similar situation right now where I am choosing between a Masters in CS at Imperial and tech consulting graduate programme. I did my undergraduate degree at the University of Bath in Economics. I have become very interested in technology and would like to learn more about the subject matters and both options offer me the opportunity to do so. Any insights from you would be helpful, thanks!
Reply 12
Id say go for the job, you can likely do the masters part time or at a later date anyway :smile:
Job, easy choice. As has already been said, you can pursue postgraduate study any time but this job offer is unlikely to come around again, especially one that pays 30k right off the bat
Original post by Avaia
Id say go for the job, you can likely do the masters part time or at a later date anyway :smile:

Original post by misteltain
Job, easy choice. As has already been said, you can pursue postgraduate study any time but this job offer is unlikely to come around again, especially one that pays 30k right off the bat

Yeah seems logical to do the grad scheme first. Sucks imperial doesnt allow part time... Thank you both for your comment! This thread has been helpful !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending