The Student Room Group

EU continues to medal with our laws

Yet again, the EU has intervened and imposed its red tape on us. From January next year, consumers will no longer pay a surcharge on credit card transactions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40648641

This is a typical example of the backward red tape that the EU imposes on us. A similar example was the removal of roaming phone charges. I can only hope that when we leave the EU, these laws are repealed and as consumers, we go back to being ripped off by big business. This is a prime example of a corrupt and bureaucratic EU. The sooner we get out and stop adopting these progressive laws in favour of laws no one wants like legalising fox hunting, grammar schools and taking the elderly's homes off them, the better.
</irony>
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
"EU continues to medal"
How is this new law a bad thing ?
Either the densest wall of bricks on this forum, or an attempt at satire.

In either case, for better or for worse, someone deserves a MEDAL.
Reply 4
Original post by ByEeek
Yet again, the EU has intervened and imposed its red tape on us. From January next year, consumers will no longer pay a surcharge on credit card transactions.

This is a typical example of the backward red tape that the EU imposes on us. A similar example was the removal of roaming phone charges. I can only hope that when we leave the EU, these laws are repealed and as consumers, we go back to being ripped off by big business. This is a prime example of a corrupt and bureaucratic EU. The sooner we get out and stop adopting these progressive laws in favour of laws no one wants like legalising fox hunting, grammar schools and taking the elderly's homes off them, the better.
</irony>

We haven't left yet.
Soon small businesses won't have to put up with their businesses being harmed though.
Original post by Quady
We haven't left yet.
Soon small businesses won't have to put up with their businesses being harmed though.

Quite right. How dare those pesky Europeans take away the need for small business customers to pay a charge credit / debit card surcharge? Such terrible legislation should not be allowed. What we need is more good old British legislation that strangles business like business rates etc. Not these meddlesome EU directives that encourage business and champion consumer rights.
Not with our spelling though, thank goodness.
Original post by ByEeek

</irony>

I say the EU should get a meddle for it. x
Reply 8
Original post by ByEeek
Quite right. How dare those pesky Europeans take away the need for small business customers to pay a charge credit / debit card surcharge? Such terrible legislation should not be allowed. What we need is more good old British legislation that strangles business like business rates etc. Not these meddlesome EU directives that encourage business and champion consumer rights.

No wonder most people in the UK such as myself voted to leave is it?
Original post by Quady
No wonder most people in the UK such as myself voted to leave is it?

I know. Johnny foreigner coming here, making our lives better. How dare they!
5621bb89e0126afcbef93c4523fe1181.jpg
Reply 11
Original post by ByEeek
I know. Johnny foreigner coming here, making our lives better. How dare they!

They aren't all foreigners are they?

Many Brits work for the Commission/Parliament and the UK sits on the Council of Europe.

To say foreigners did this is zenophobic.
Original post by ByEeek
This is a typical example of the backward red tape that the EU imposes on us. A similar example was the removal of roaming phone charges. I can only hope that when we leave the EU, these laws are repealed and as consumers, we go back to being ripped off by big business. </irony>

Oh no OP please let's stay in the EU please!

I mean we are surely far better off having the country run by a totally unelected and unaccountable soviet style EU politburo than our own national government !

We are surely far better of eventually being forced to take the Euro as per other member states and similarly being taken to bankruptcy as a result !

And why oh why would we want our own UK Justice system which believes in the out dated ancient principles of "innocent until proved guilty" when we can have the European Justice System where you can snatch anyone off the street and detail them indefinitely purely on suspicion and not with evidence?!

Gosh and please don't let us have to go back to the old UK regulations that made perfect sense ! No I mean we surely are better off with the 1000s of EU regulations such as the ones that state that:

- bananas must be "free of abnormal curvature".

- cucumbers must be "practically straight" and bent by a gradient of no more than 1/10.

- bottled drinking water is prohibited from having labels that suggest consumption would fight dehydration

- there is insufficient evidence to establish a cause and effect relationship between the consumption of dried plums of 'prune' cultivars and maintenance of normal bowel function !

- Eggs must NOT be sold by the dozen. They must instead be sold by weight

- Vacuum cleaners, which have motors above the EU limit of 1,600 watts have to go.

- Pots of Jam can only be called and labelled as "jam" if the sugar content is at least 60%. Otherwise the term "fruit spread" or "conserve" must be used. (Stupid regulation thankfully abolished in 2013).

- Restaurants can no longer put refilled bottles of olive oil on tables. Only non-refillable bottles with proper contents labelling could be used.

Yep, we've been so very lucky to have the EU imposing 1000s upon 1000s of really useful and worthwhile regulations on us. It's done us the world of good.

Just look at the European Waterways Framework which prevented the UK from regularly dredging and clearing it's rivers of silt and gravel as it has done for countless centuries beforehand. Now we can revel in the perpetual flooding of UK towns and cities, people no longer need to go to the seaside to have a paddle ! Well done the EU !

Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
Oh no OP please let's stay in the EU please!

I mean we are surely far better off having the country run by a totally unelected and unaccountable soviet style EU politburo than our own national government !

We are surely far better of eventually being forced to take the Euro as per other member states and similarly being taken to bankruptcy as a result !

And why oh why would we want our own UK Justice system which believes in the out dated ancient principles of "innocent until proved guilty" when we can have the European Justice System where you can snatch anyone off the street and detail them indefinitely purely on suspicion and not with evidence?!

Gosh and please don't let us have to go back to the old UK regulations that made perfect sense ! No I mean we surely are better off with the 1000s of EU regulations such as the ones that state that:

- bananas must be "free of abnormal curvature".

- cucumbers must be "practically straight" and bent by a gradient of no more than 1/10.

- bottled drinking water is prohibited from having labels that suggest consumption would fight dehydration

- there is insufficient evidence to establish a cause and effect relationship between the consumption of dried plums of 'prune' cultivars and maintenance of normal bowel function !

- Eggs must NOT be sold by the dozen. They must instead be sold by weight

- Vacuum cleaners, which have motors above the EU limit of 1,600 watts have to go.

- Pots of Jam can only be called and labelled as "jam" if the sugar content is at least 60%. Otherwise the term "fruit spread" or "conserve" must be used. (Stupid regulation thankfully abolished in 2013).

- Restaurants can no longer put refilled bottles of olive oil on tables. Only non-refillable bottles with proper contents labelling could be used.

Yep, we've been so very lucky to have the EU imposing 1000s upon 1000s of really useful and worthwhile regulations on us. It's done us the world of good.

Just look at the European Waterways Framework which prevented the UK from regularly dredging and clearing it's rivers of silt and gravel as it has done for countless centuries beforehand. Now we can revel in the perpetual flooding of UK towns and cities, people no longer need to go to the seaside to have a paddle ! Well done the EU !

Some of these are myths like bananas and cucumbers. But in international trading, establishing what constitutes jam is surely a good thing? Otherwise I could wipe the floor with my inferior and cheaper to produce "jam".

Is it not a good thing that vacuums and cars must be more energy efficient?

Is it not a good thing that labelling is consistent?

Either way, UK law contains just as much nonsense. But I don't see our government proposing progressive laws that save consumers money.
Clearly if the only reasonable way to pay is by card then you're effectively hiding charges - I agree with that being stopped. But in a shop where you can pay with cash and the bank charges the business extra to process card, I don't see why the business is doing anything wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending