The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2018 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hillnik
For those who have already turned in their applications, how long did it take for the Application Status to change from "Submitted?" I submitted my application last week on Tuesday morning, and my letters of recommendation were in before I did so.

Hi, for me it took like 3 weeks :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 141
Original post by JimmyQ1994
I am applying for MPhil in the ISMM course, anyone else applying?

Original post by QL1019
I am applying for the course as well. Have you submitted your application?

Hi guys,
I've applied for ISMM too. What's your 'status' on the application portal at the moment?
Original post by GBA13
Hi guys,
I've applied for ISMM too. What's your 'status' on the application portal at the moment?

I submitted my application last friday so it still says 'submitted'. I think that it will take a few weeks to process further
When did you submit your app?
Reply 143
I submitted my application last friday so it still says 'submitted'. I think that it will take a few weeks to process further
When did you submit your app?

Yeah that sounds about right. I submitted in the last few days of September and it probably took two weeks or so to change from 'Submitted' (I'm now at 'Under Review by Department)
Original post by GBA13
Yeah that sounds about right. I submitted in the last few days of September and it probably took two weeks or so to change from 'Submitted' (I'm now at 'Under Review by Department)

If you don't mind me asking, whats your background, Engineering student?
Reply 145
If you don't mind me asking, whats your background, Engineering student?

Yeah I'm a mechanical engineering student. I'm top of my class at a mid level Russell Group uni. Work wise, I've had internships (engineering/industry) at a couple of major/multinational companies over the previous summers.

I'd ideally like to hear back before christmas (hence trying to apply early) but I have no idea if that'll happen
Original post by hillnik
For those who have already turned in their applications, how long did it take for the Application Status to change from "Submitted?" I submitted my application last week on Tuesday morning, and my letters of recommendation were in before I did so.

Hey, I have two applications for Cambridge and one took 16 days to change from 'Submitted' to 'Under review by department' and the second still says 'Submitted', despite both being applied for on 26th of September. Good luck! x
Reply 147
Hi,

It's always been a dream of mine to attend Cambridge. I'm currently a final year undergrad CompSci student who has achieved first class for all the previous years. I also have almost 2 years experience working for a large well known tech company (1 year in industry and part-time). I was wondering whether I would stand a chance applying as a post grad student?

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Original post by srg096
I was wondering whether I would stand a chance applying as a post grad student?

You'll stand absolutely no chance of you don't apply. What do you lose by applying? A relatively small application fee, but the answer to an 'always dream'.
Original post by srg096
Hi,

It's always been a dream of mine to attend Cambridge. I'm currently a final year undergrad CompSci student who has achieved first class for all the previous years. I also have almost 2 years experience working for a large well known tech company (1 year in industry and part-time). I was wondering whether I would stand a chance applying as a post grad student?

I'm in a similar situation (hence the name) :smile: Which course are you planning on applying to?
Original post by srg096
Hi,

Seriously, why wouldn't you?
Generally speaking, are offers/rejections sent before Christmas for those who apply (quite) early?
That may depend on the department/course. Often, rolling admissions are part of the deal. In other cases, applications are batched.
Original post by Jeremy01
Generally speaking, are offers/rejections sent before Christmas for those who apply (quite) early?

No. By 'rolling admissions' they mean that absolute certain rejections, regardless of who applies later will be rejected quite quickly. Absolute certainties, who will never be bettered, regardless of who else applies later will be accepted quite quickly, but given the global applicant pool, this is not common, maybe only a handful per course before January.

For the vast majority, they sit in limbo, with their application being reviewed by either the department or the degree panel, who are gradually building up a picture of the strength and diversity of the applicant cohort. Gradually applications begin to sink or rise to their level, and as the admissions team can see that any application is either never going to get an offer or never going to be bettered, they send a No/Yes response.

The bulk of decisions are not made until March, when a decent view of the applicant pool is available, and the admissions team can be confident of where the cut of level is going to be that year.
Original post by threeportdrift
No. By 'rolling admissions' they mean that absolute certain rejections, regardless of who applies later will be rejected quite quickly. Absolute certainties, who will never be bettered, regardless of who else applies later will be accepted quite quickly, but given the global applicant pool, this is not common, maybe only a handful per course before January.

For the vast majority, they sit in limbo, with their application being reviewed by either the department or the degree panel, who are gradually building up a picture of the strength and diversity of the applicant cohort. Gradually applications begin to sink or rise to their level, and as the admissions team can see that any application is either never going to get an offer or never going to be bettered, they send a No/Yes response.

The bulk of decisions are not made until March, when a decent view of the applicant pool is available, and the admissions team can be confident of where the cut of level is going to be that year.

All right, thank you for the insight!
Just an update; my second application has changed this afternoon to under review by the department as well now, and I also received a conditional offer from the University of York today to study Cognitive Neuroscience! How is everyone else's applications getting on? x
Original post by erinaceousxo
Just an update; my second application has changed this afternoon to under review by the department as well now, and I also received a conditional offer from the University of York today to study Cognitive Neuroscience! How is everyone else's applications getting on? x

Congratulations on your offer! Are you planning on accepting it or waiting for Cambridge's decision?
Congratulations on your offer! Are you planning on accepting it or waiting for Cambridge's decision?

Thank you, I'll be waiting for a decision from Cambridge. I'm still yet to apply to Imperial College London as their applications open in November so will likely be a little while before I've accepted anything, I'm just happy to know that I've been accepted somewhere because waiting in limbo is stressful haha, how are your application/s coming along? :smile: x
Original post by erinaceousxo
Thank you, I'll be waiting for a decision from Cambridge. I'm still yet to apply to Imperial College London as their applications open in November so will likely be a little while before I've accepted anything, I'm just happy to know that I've been accepted somewhere because waiting in limbo is stressful haha, how are your application/s coming along? :smile: x

Yeah and having an offer that early is encouraging :smile: So far I've only applied to Cambridge for part III (mathematics). The thing is they gave me a conditional offer last year (for 2017 entry) but could not take my place because they wanted my diploma (I'm a European applicant) which I'll only have in November/December even though I passed all my exams and gave them my final transcript! It's quite frustrating but I really want to get in so I hope it's going to be fine this year!
Yeah and having an offer that early is encouraging :smile: So far I've only applied to Cambridge for part III (mathematics). The thing is they gave me a conditional offer last year (for 2017 entry) but could not take my place because they wanted my diploma (I'm a European applicant) which I'll only have in November/December even though I passed all my exams and gave them my final transcript! It's quite frustrating but I really want to get in so I hope it's going to be fine this year!

Wow, half a year to just graduate? I thought my university was bad with graduation procedures 😁 Hopefully it will turn out well for you this time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending