The Student Room Group

A level will i struggle

i didn't do my GCSE's because i moved to a america and went to an american school but now I'm moving again and will be going to a british school/international school will i struggle with a level?? my subjects i will be taking are math, biology, business studies and spanish
Yes but it won't be impossible to succeed. The majority of people struggle at A Level anyway so don't worry :smile: (doesn't mean you can slack off though!)

Some content might be a development of GCSEs so if you didn't study that in America then you'll have to spend some independent time studying those areas with your teacher.

It wont be much of a struggle if you divide your time wisely and are committed to your work and class.
Reply 2
Will you struggle? Probably.

Can you overcome it and do great? Of course :biggrin: some subjects do expect you to have GCSE knowledge especially maths so do brush over a revision guide and make sure you understand it all.

I’m not a fan of CGP after GCSE but they have a “bridging the gap between GCSE and A-levels” it’s a great series and will certainly prepare you well :smile:
GCSE knowledge helps with A-levels, but isn't completely necessary. Out of the four subjects that I do, I only did two for GCSE, and my best subject is one of the ones which I previously had no experience of.

See if you can do what zayn008 suggested and read up on some of the basics.
I have a friend who spent a year studying in America before she came here and she struggles a lot and she's very intelligent, so be aware of that. Experience of exams is the thing that holds her back, she has basically no practise of writing under timed conditions.

I'd get started as normal with a bit of work over the summer, but as soon as you encounter a problem start working on it immediately. My friend didn't realise until the spring that timing was really going to be a problem, and by then she'd missed three available months for improving on it.
Original post by sarah1223
i didn't do my GCSE's because i moved to a america and went to an american school but now I'm moving again and will be going to a british school/international school will i struggle with a level?? my subjects i will be taking are math, biology, business studies and spanish

It'll be a struggle. But if you have the knowledge and the dedication there is no reason as to why you can't succeed. Although be aware that A-Level is potentially the most difficult academic years you will ever have.
Reply 6
Original post by BTAnonymous
Yes but it won't be impossible to succeed. The majority of people struggle at A Level anyway so don't worry :smile: (doesn't mean you can slack off though!)

Some content might be a development of GCSEs so if you didn't study that in America then you'll have to spend some independent time studying those areas with your teacher.

It wont be much of a struggle if you divide your time wisely and are committed to your work and class.

im worried as I'm not the best at math but really want to become a zoologist/ vet something like that. I want honest opinion, do you think i would fail? if i did take the subject i would defiantly have a tutor...
Original post by sarah1223
im worried as I'm not the best at math but really want to become a zoologist/ vet something like that. I want honest opinion, do you think i would fail? if i did take the subject i would defiantly have a tutor...

I'm sorry but there are so many factors to determine your success. so many people have failed in GCSEs and aced A Level. so many people have aced GCSEs and failed A Level. so many people have failed education but are successful entrepreneurs.

you're thinking way too negative. you're doubting yourself way too much; stop that! that's why people fail because they don't believe in themselves and give up before even trying!

what advice would you like?

Quick Reply