The Student Room Group

Computer just restarts

While playing computer games my laptop has been restarting randomly. The following are my pcs specs;

2.7Ghz
512 mb ddr
40GB
128 mb Radeon 9000

I was playing Unreal Tournament 2004, and Battlefield 1942[not simultaneously though]. I was told that the issue might be the video driver, where should I get the appropriate drive for my video card? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gwarwick
While playing computer games my laptop has been restarting randomly. The following are my pcs specs;

2.7Ghz
512 mb ddr
40GB
128 mb Radeon 9000

I was playing Unreal Tournament 2004, and Battlefield 1942[not simultaneously though]. I was told that the issue might be the video driver, where should I get the appropriate drive for my video card? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

the ati website

www.ati.co.uk maybe :smile:
Reply 2
What OS are you using? Xp Home has been know to just randomly restart. Do a search on google for drivers for your video card.
Reply 3
Baron
the ati website

www.ati.co.uk maybe :smile:

nope www.ati.com :biggrin:
Reply 4
Heres a pic do I download that one?

Reply 5
Yes, since your card is a radeon you would want the one for radeons.
Reply 6
Aside from installing the driver what else could I do to solve the problem?
Reply 7
Gwarwick
Aside from installing the driver what else could I do to solve the problem?

Two possibilities:

1. Your RAM is faulty(not very likely)
2. Your laptop is over heating. Restarting is a fail safe. (most likely)
Reply 8
It's not on a soft surface is it? Sometimes laptops can overheat when placed on that sort of thing when doing processor/graphic intensive tasks so try on a desk if you are :biggrin:
Reply 9
Mr Moncal
Two possibilities:

1. Your RAM is faulty(not very likely)
2. Your laptop is over heating. Restarting is a fail safe. (most likely)

It might be overheating Im gonna stick a fan beside it. Is that advisable? lol, and would it work?
Reply 10
Gwarwick
It might be overheating Im gonna stick a fan beside it. Is that advisable? lol, and would it work?

It wouldn't hurt. If it you can touch it and feel heat then it is getting too hot. Make sure that air can circulate under it. When you play the graphics and processor intensive games that you mentioned then the processor will generate more heat.
Mr Moncal
What OS are you using? Xp Home has been know to just randomly restart. Do a search on google for drivers for your video card.

I've had the same with my LAN server desktop and it was using Windows 98SE!
Reply 12
NDGAARONDI
I've had the same with my LAN server desktop and it was using Windows 98SE!

I don't think Windows 98 was supposed to live long enough to see a processor faster than 400mhz.
Mr Moncal
I don't think Windows 98 was supposed to live long enough to see a processor faster than 400mhz.

Well I don't know what the processor speed was but I've got a different computer since with Windows 2000 on. Restarts and BSD have not returned since.
Reply 14
Mr Moncal
It wouldn't hurt. If it you can touch it and feel heat then it is getting too hot. Make sure that air can circulate under it. When you play the graphics and processor intensive games that you mentioned then the processor will generate more heat.

I used the fan idea, and it worked. Then I turned the fan off, a few mins later it restarted. What could be a permanent solution?
Reply 15
Gwarwick
I used the fan idea, and it worked. Then I turned the fan off, a few mins later it restarted. What could be a permanent solution?

Buy a fan for the laptop. You might struggle to get one that fits though ...

Otherwise, keep your laptop cool by some other devious means, which I cannot specify at this point.
Reply 16
Mighty
Buy a fan for the laptop. You might struggle to get one that fits though ...

Otherwise, keep your laptop cool by some other devious means, which I cannot specify at this point.

Well I ran regcleaner, defrag, adaware, as well as search and destroy it seems to be fine now.
Reply 17
Gwarwick
Well I ran regcleaner, defrag, adaware, as well as search and destroy it seems to be fine now.

Defrag is probably what helped. Although, if you found spy ware then there might have been an extra application that was running and taking up the extra processor power.
Reply 18
Also, do you have intel active monitor? It comes on some intel powered computers. If you do, configure this so that it will alert you when it gets too hot and then you can stop and let it cool down.
Reply 19
Mr Moncal
Also, do you have intel active monitor? It comes on some intel powered computers. If you do, configure this so that it will alert you when it gets too hot and then you can stop and let it cool down.

I have a P4, and I was too hasty in claiming it was fixed. Its not -_-

Latest

Trending

Trending