The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ooh tag me pls :biggrin:

Tbh I was never a big social media person either, I've had Facebook for ever but that was it tbh :redface:

Then I discovered Twitter and then kinda stopped using it, but then went back on it again and I'm slightly hooked. I follow quite a few people and have communicated with them which is great :biggrin: and seriously, I love making up new hashtags (my personal fav is #omgthewatchdogstudioistransparent :giggle:)

I've recently got Instagram and I love it, used it a lot for my holiday :yep: Was slightly offended tho that someone I knew unfollowed me:colonhash: despite saying I could keep in touch with them on there......
But apart from thats its great :biggrin:

I had Snapchat but its never hooked me, so I've deleted it again. I've tried but nah its just not for me

I haven't tried anyother site tho
Blog Post #2
(14/08/2017) (281 tweets): So after 2 weeks on Twitter, I’m averaging 20 tweets per day, which I’m told is a lot. A lot of them are retweets of things that I’ve found particularly funny. Probably only 30 tweets are actually my own. I can’t honestly say that I’ve received any revelatory news using this new medium, so apart from sharing good news with people, I fail to see a real genuine purpose behind it. One thing that I was glad I was on Twitter for was that a friend of mine with seemingly severe depression and anxiety was tweeting about her emotions, and suicidal feelings. I’m glad I was there at half past midnight (don’t ask) to offer her some comfort (I hope), some advice and some distraction. What bothers me though is that she turned to twitter, to social media, to a device, to seek that comfort rather than to her family, or her human support network of friends; which although at that time of the evening might be explainable, still concerns me that technology is being used to deal with emotions, which is a very human thing.

Spoiler

Original post by IKEAPanda37
x
Oops.:teehee: didn't see you there. See above.
281 tweets :eek4:
Hope she's ok :hugs:
I don't think people feel comfortable talking about that sort of stuff to family members unless they're exceptionally close/trustworthy. I certainly don't really. But I would never post it on facebook :erm:
Original post by 04MR17
Blog Post #2
(14/08/2017) (281 tweets): So after 2 weeks on Twitter, I’m averaging 20 tweets per day, which I’m told is a lot. A lot of them are retweets of things that I’ve found particularly funny. Probably only 30 tweets are actually my own. I can’t honestly say that I’ve received any revelatory news using this new medium, so apart from sharing good news with people, I fail to see a real genuine purpose behind it. One thing that I was glad I was on Twitter for was that a friend of mine with seemingly severe depression and anxiety was tweeting about her emotions, and suicidal feelings. I’m glad I was there at half past midnight (don’t ask) to offer her some comfort (I hope), some advice and some distraction. What bothers me though is that she turned to twitter, to social media, to a device, to seek that comfort rather than to her family, or her human support network of friends; which although at that time of the evening might be explainable, still concerns me that technology is being used to deal with emotions, which is a very human thing.

Spoiler

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I don't think people feel comfortable talking about that sort of stuff to family members unless they're exceptionally close/trustworthy. I certainly don't really. But I would never post it on facebook :erm:
She is alive.

Q: What do you post on Facebook? A: Pictures of your mouth.
:tongue: :rofl:
Original post by 04MR17
She is alive.

Q: What do you post on Facebook? A: Pictures of your mouth.
:tongue: :rofl:

:colonhash:
Original post by 04MR17
Oops.:teehee: didn't see you there. See above.

Original post by CheeseIsVeg

I can relate :yep: I tend not to tell my family about certain things, but then I wouldn't post it on Facebook or Twitter etc. either
If I need help with something, I go to Cheese :hugs:
Original post by 04MR17
Blog Post #2

Spoiler

Is it linked to her name and such? If not, perhaps the anonymity of the platform makes it easier for her to talk about such things. I agree with the others in that I'd be hesitant to talk to my family, but I wouldn't post it on social media either :redface:

Hope she's doing okay :smile:
Original post by computernerd1001
Is it linked to her name and such? If not, perhaps the anonymity of the platform makes it easier for her to talk about such things. I agree with the others in that I'd be hesitant to talk to my family, but I wouldn't post it on social media either :redface:

Hope she's doing okay :smile:
She's alive. Would you tell anyone? If so who and how?
Original post by IKEAPanda37
I can relate :yep: I tend not to tell my family about certain things, but then I wouldn't post it on Facebook or Twitter etc. either
If I need help with something, I go to Cheese :hugs:

awh :colondollar: :hugs: idk I just wish there wasn't so much of a stigma when it comes to certain types of people I know and stuff
I do think the attitude to our mental health is changing for the better but we're not quite there yet. It's still not something everyone feels comfortable talking about publicly.
Original post by 04MR17
She's alive. Would you tell anyone? If so who and how?

That's a difficult question, I suppose, as I've never been in the position where I have considered something like that. I would like to think that I'd be able to talk to someone about how I was feeling and what I needed, but you never know until you have to deal with it, I suppose. I'd probably talk to my best friend in the first instance, we've been through a lot together and I think it'd be easier than talking to my family initially, when I have to speak to them everyday (though I do love them). They're more aware of what's going on in my head than anyone else I know.

I do have my own set of hangups, and sometimes I find and repost some stuff linked to the stuff I relate to on the couple of sites I use, but I don't tend to talk about myself in that respect. My social media (apart from facebook, which I don't post on) isn't linked to my name or anything, which is why I brought it up :redface:

Are you doing okay? It's important to make sure your friend is okay, but it can be hard on yourself as well, especially if you weren't previously aware of these feelings.
computernerd1001

Are you doing okay? It's important to make sure your friend is okay, but it can be hard on yourself as well, especially if you weren't previously aware of these feelings.
I'm fine yeah thanks for asking.
(19/08/2017) (329 tweets) (3 Facebook posts):

That’s right, I am now on Facebook. To be honest, even whilst signing up, I was still reluctant to do it. Then “boom” I was hit with a long list of people that Facebook thought I would know. Most of them I do know, and it’s slightly scary to see technology join up the dots in your life like that. As though social media is trying to weave together the different components in your life and the people associated with them into one blanket of contacts.

I was really shocked with the amount of “friending” going on. After only a few days on Facebook, I had double the number of friends, as I had followers on Twitter. The difference to me is subtle, but clear. Facebook is much more community orientated, what I’ve seen is a supportive and conversational environment. But I can imagine now that I’ve seen it that this conversational environment could easily turn less pleasant, resulting in the tantrums on the school playground throughout my childhood.

Facebook definitely seems to be more personal than twitter. Somebody I spoke to in person on Thursday actually mentioned the fact that I hadn’t "friended" them on Facebook, and the fact that social media can have this impact on our lives is slightly concerning. When it comes to "friending" people, I have noticed Facebook’s standard message to not allow people to be friends unless you know who they are; and I have tried to keep my privacy settings etc. very secure, and my Facebook friends so far are all those who are either family, or good friends.

Spoiler

:giggle:
Reply 34
I don't have Facebook, Twitter or Instagram...
Original post by 04MR17
(19/08/2017) (329 tweets) (3 Facebook posts):

That’s right, I am now on Facebook. To be honest, even whilst signing up, I was still reluctant to do it. Then “boom” I was hit with a long list of people that Facebook thought I would know. Most of them I do know, and it’s slightly scary to see technology join up the dots in your life like that. As though social media is trying to weave together the different components in your life and the people associated with them into one blanket of contacts.

I was really shocked with the amount of “friending” going on. After only a few days on Facebook, I had double the number of friends, as I had followers on Twitter. The difference to me is subtle, but clear. Facebook is much more community orientated, what I’ve seen is a supportive and conversational environment. But I can imagine now that I’ve seen it that this conversational environment could easily turn less pleasant, resulting in the tantrums on the school playground throughout my childhood.

Facebook definitely seems to be more personal than twitter. Somebody I spoke to in person on Thursday actually mentioned the fact that I hadn’t "friended" them on Facebook, and the fact that social media can have this impact on our lives is slightly concerning. When it comes to "friending" people, I have noticed Facebook’s standard message to not allow people to be friends unless you know who they are; and I have tried to keep my privacy settings etc. very secure, and my Facebook friends so far are all those who are either family, or good friends.

Spoiler

I suppose it's the difference between a 'friend' and a 'follower', really, between the different platforms. Which one do you currently prefer, Twitter or Facebook?
Original post by computernerd1001
I suppose it's the difference between a 'friend' and a 'follower', really, between the different platforms. Which one do you currently prefer, Twitter or Facebook?
I honestly don't know because they are so similar but so different at the same time. It makes no sense, but I hope you know what I mean:redface:
Original post by 04MR17
I honestly don't know because they are so similar but so different at the same time. It makes no sense, but I hope you know what I mean:redface:

No, I think I get it. I can't talk really, since I don't have twitter and I don't use facebook. I never really got to grips with twitter's interface, so I didn't bother making an account, not that I'm any more useful when I'm use any other social media :smile:
(31/08/2017) (434 tweets) (20 Facebook posts): I’ve noticed a dip in my activity of late. There’s been a lot of real-life things that I’ve needed to get done, and social media has taken a back seat. Perhaps social media then is a thing to occupy you when you’re bored? Is it that technology has invented a way of improving the quality of communication, because if you’re not finding the physical conversation entertaining enough, you can switch to online. It certainly seems more multi-faceted online. I’ve found myself commenting a lot more on people’s posts using Facebook. On Twitter, I find myself commenting on tweets a lot less, maybe because with Twitter, I feel as though everything should be broadcast to as large an audience as possible. Facebook, since it is more personal (I feel) means that it is more conversation-orientated. I’ve had a malicious account try to “friend” me on Facebook now. That was interesting. I was surprised at how easy it was for them to send you a friend request, you can then click on their profile now that it’s been brought to your attention and you’re then exposed to the images available there. That worries me slightly when thinking about younger people on Facebook, especially since I only found safeguarding and child protection messages once I started looking for them. These warnings were not made obvious to me and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of young people did not know how to report content, or seek help online were it needed.

Spoiler

Posting at 2am like :coma:

Latest

Trending

Trending