The Student Room Group

No social media

So ive not got any social media like Instagram or snap, just because I had it for a while and it rly messed up my mental health. Im very content without it rn (for context im in year 13), im still pretty popular and ive got a lot of friends. But a lot of that is because im very social in real life and ive known everyone in my year since I was like 11. Im basically worried that when I get to uni I wont be able to make as many friends because I dont have social media. Do current uni students think this is tru/ reccomend me getting it? Ty
I didn’t have social media freely until like year 12 and I found that personally a lot of people had much deeper friendship with each other than I did because hey were talking outside of school and I wasn’t.

I think having started uni it’s slightly more useful to have social media cause you’ll meet people one day and never bump into them again for weeks, but I also have a friend in my class who doesn’t have social media and and gets along just fine with WhatsApp so honestly it depends & is up to you.

We did as a group mesh a lot better after we made a group chat, but that’s just the way things are in life. I think its better to not have social media and choose to get it rather than the other way round.
Original post by cherryblossomed
I didn’t have social media freely until like year 12 and I found that personally a lot of people had much deeper friendship with each other than I did because hey were talking outside of school and I wasn’t.

I think having started uni it’s slightly more useful to have social media cause you’ll meet people one day and never bump into them again for weeks, but I also have a friend in my class who doesn’t have social media and and gets along just fine with WhatsApp so honestly it depends & is up to you.

We did as a group mesh a lot better after we made a group chat, but that’s just the way things are in life. I think its better to not have social media and choose to get it rather than the other way round.

Surprised you don't consider Whatsapp social media? It has profiles, status updates, group chats, owned by Facebook etc?
Original post by StriderHort
Surprised you don't consider Whatsapp social media? It has profiles, status updates, group chats, owned by Facebook etc?

i assumed OP meant the big three when they said social media cause they mentioned insta and snap

even though i agree it's technically social media, a lot of my friends and people I'm around don't count it as one or use it like one either. also no one i know except for my aunt uses the status feature.

personally, i think that's the biggest part of the perks of social media--people you want to get to know better post about what they like and it's a jumping board to talk about things you have in common. even though you can do that with WhatsApp statuses i know very few people who use it that way.
Reply 4
Just go clarify I do have WhatsApp but yeah social media is sounding quite useful so I might start before uni, ty x
Original post by Anonymous #1
So ive not got any social media like Instagram or snap, just because I had it for a while and it rly messed up my mental health. Im very content without it rn (for context im in year 13), im still pretty popular and ive got a lot of friends. But a lot of that is because im very social in real life and ive known everyone in my year since I was like 11. Im basically worried that when I get to uni I wont be able to make as many friends because I dont have social media. Do current uni students think this is tru/ reccomend me getting it? Ty

I have an instagram account purely for the social aspect. I don't post or follow many people - but its a lot of peoples only social media nowadays outside of whatsapp.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending