The Student Room Group

Universal Credit Confusion

Hi all
Just finished my L3 engineering diploma and am looking for skilled/semi-skilled full time work. However, I don't drive and don't have much savings (less than £100), which depending on where I work might only just be enough to fund bus travel until my first paycheck. Bit risky, which is why I'm considering applying for universal credit (JSA isn't available in my area).
But I don't understand the premise of it all! Is my work coach going to shove me in the first retail job that comes up ASAP, or will I actually be supported in my quest for skilled work? Maybe I've heard too many horror stories of Jobcentre negligence.
Thanks
Zac

Original post by 007zac8

Hi all
Just finished my L3 engineering diploma and am looking for skilled/semi-skilled full time work. However, I don't drive and don't have much savings (less than £100), which depending on where I work might only just be enough to fund bus travel until my first paycheck. Bit risky, which is why I'm considering applying for universal credit (JSA isn't available in my area).
But I don't understand the premise of it all! Is my work coach going to shove me in the first retail job that comes up ASAP, or will I actually be supported in my quest for skilled work? Maybe I've heard too many horror stories of Jobcentre negligence.
Thanks
Zac

Just read this link especially the bits from the work commitment onwards.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/interview/prepare-for-your-interview/

Dont go in with an attitude and making their job difficult.

It all means point out your ideal job, but imo you should tell them you will look for other work as well even if its temp. It depends how ell you get on with your work coach as to how lenient they are with you. If you dont agree with your work coach, then you can complain or you cna also cease to claim.

If you want the money then know the rules and obligations plus co operate.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Just read this link especially the bits from the work commitment onwards.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/interview/prepare-for-your-interview/

Dont go in with an attitude and making their job difficult.

It all means point out your ideal job, but imo you should tell them you will look for other work as well even if its temp. It depends how ell you get on with your work coach as to how lenient they are with you. If you dont agree with your work coach, then you can complain or you cna also cease to claim.

If you want the money then know the rules and obligations plus co operate.

Okay, thanks for this link. The .gov website doesn't provide nearly that much info. My mind's at ease :smile:

Zac
Original post by 007zac8
Okay, thanks for this link. The .gov website doesn't provide nearly that much info. My mind's at ease :smile:

Zac

If you are smart then you get your work coach to work with you and your life will be a lot easier. have two plans short and long term. Understand what they are looking for and give them what they want. Dont have an attitude unless you want sanctioning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending