The Student Room Group

Is a requires improvement sixth form going to be fatal to my education?

I'm planning on studying A levels in English Lit, Law and Sociology. I was just wondering how negative it will be for me to attend a college with such a poor ofsted rating. Any comments would be great, many thanks.

A
Original post by TherealDavisAlex
I'm planning on studying A levels in English Lit, Law and Sociology. I was just wondering how negative it will be for me to attend a college with such a poor ofsted rating. Any comments would be great, many thanks.

A

Why did they get RI? What are the results like for the actual subjects you plan to study? Sometimes one or two poor departments can affect an Ofsted grading,

Btw RI = the old 'satisfactory' it is not a category of concern like Special Measures.

A

if ur a hard worker and do well it may actually come to ur advantage, as its like, oh hes gone to a bad college yet is doing well or has good aspirations
Original post by Kaneki Ken
if ur a hard worker and do well it may actually come to ur advantage, as its like, oh hes gone to a bad college yet is doing well or has good aspirations

yeah with the widening access universities have, however, if the school isn't as good you might have to self teach yourself more (requires a lot of motivation), all the while if you need help there is less support.
Original post by Muttley79
Why did they get RI? What are the results like for the actual subjects you plan to study? Sometimes one or two poor departments can affect an Ofsted grading,

Btw RI = the old 'satisfactory' it is not a category of concern like Special Measures.

Unsure but it was ri in all areas. And the progress of students expected isn't made in most subjects based on their entry GCSE grades. So probably **** teaching?
Reply 5
Means nothing as long as you get a really good grade. The local 'requires improvement' sixth form around here boasts how one student got into oxford, I think the only one who ever did
Original post by Reality Check
Whilst you're both right that you would be eligible for a contextual offer from the best universities if your school/sixth form is underperforming somehow, I don't think this offsets the threat to getting near the grades required for even a contextual offer which a poor sixth-form poses. If you have a choice, I would avoid such a sixth-form, unless you have more detailed data as to which parts of the school are underperforming (i.e. if the departments you're interested in are getting good results, it mightn't be so bad - but what's the behaviour like, staff turnover etc).

Yes well in response to that I didn't like the college from the first time I saw it(when I was unaware of the Ofsted report) so that says it all... However the alternative is an hour and 40 commute! One way, two buses and a long walk... But that college is outstanding and provides better a level options for me personally.
Yes well in response to that I didn't like the college from the first time I saw it(when I was unaware of the Ofsted report) so that says it all... However the alternative is an hour and 40 commute! One way, two buses and a long walk... But that college is outstanding and provides better a level options for me personally.

How old is the 'outstanding' report? Anything before September 2012 was judged in a very different way.

NO college is worth that sort of journey - you could be studying for that time rather then be travelling. There must be another school closer to you.
Original post by Ethan9133
yeah with the widening access universities have, however, if the school isn't as good you might have to self teach yourself more (requires a lot of motivation), all the while if you need help there is less support.

veryyyyy true, twas wat i went thru
i genuinely struggled in college i got zero help and was looked down upon by teachers cos i was struggling, wen they shudve helped me lol

Quick Reply

Latest