The Student Room Group

Dual Citizenship

If I have dual citizenship (Portuguese & South African), and apply to UK unis, am I considered an international applicant or a 'home'/resident applicant?
I don't know so wait for someone who know for sure about this, but I would say no, as none of your dual citizenship is UK, but idk
Original post by Miss Angela
If I have dual citizenship (Portuguese & South African), and apply to UK unis, am I considered an international applicant or a 'home'/resident applicant?

Don't see why you would be considered a home/resident applicant. Neither of your citizenships are British. South Africa is Commonwealth but that has no bearing on UK university applications.

Portugal could give you EU status. Additionally, have you been living in the UK for any length of time? Normally if you have lived in the UK for 3 of the past 5 years (or the last three years), for a purpose other than education (so not sixth form/university) then you can apply as a home student. I think if you have a National Insurance number too, that could work.

I think your best bet is apply as an EU student. You have citizenship to one EU country, no reason why this shouldn't count for something-EU students pay home fees (classed as Home/EU fees). If in doubt, contact one or two universities you were thinking of, as on issues like this some have different criteria.

Original post by cc85734
I don't know so wait for someone who know for sure about this, but I would say no, as none of your dual citizenship is UK, but idk

Probably best you dont respond in this case, in case you get their hopes up about someone actually responding
Reply 3
Original post by QuentinM

Portugal could give you EU status. ... Additionally, have you been living in the UK for any length of time? ... I think your best bet is apply as an EU student.

I haven't lived in the UK, ever. Born and raised in SA, although I have some family that settled in London.
Paying 'home fees' is great, but I was looking at some of the international programmes, and now I'm torn between cheaper fees and a greater likelihood of acceptance. :/

I will contact a few unis, though. Currently I'm looking at the Uni of Surrey. They have an Int Foundation Prog in Life Sciences, lasting 2 semesters. Should I achieve the required scores, I could finally study Vet med.
I just have to ask. >.<
Thanks for the advice. :smile:
I haven't lived in the UK, ever. Born and raised in SA, although I have some family that settled in London.
Paying 'home fees' is great, but I was looking at some of the international programmes, and now I'm torn between cheaper fees and a greater likelihood of acceptance. :/

I will contact a few unis, though. Currently I'm looking at the Uni of Surrey. They have an Int Foundation Prog in Life Sciences, lasting 2 semesters. Should I achieve the required scores, I could finally study Vet med.
I just have to ask. >.<

As pointed out you can claim Home fees if you have lived in the EU for the 3 years prior to 1 September in the year your course starts. If not then international rates will apply.

I just have to ask. >.<

Ah ok, you might not be able to claim EU citizenship then....best ask the universities. Ask one or two, if they give the same answer then the rest SHOULD be the same. Unfortunately they dont publish much on this in prospectus/online stuff
Reply 6
Original post by QuentinM
best ask the universities

Will do! :smile: Thanks
Will do! :smile: Thanks

Hi @Miss Angela,

You can call our Admissions team to see if you could get in using your Portugese citizenship, which would let you qualify for EU fees (which are equal to the fees paid by UK home students). Give them a ring on +44(0)1483682222. :smile:

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending