The Student Room Group

Eligible for student finance?

I'm a UK national with dual citizenship (I'm also an EU national). I have spent the last year doing a gap year abroad in the EU. I worked while abroad, but always only short-term contracts with defined end points. I also visited the UK several times. My UK bank account remains active and I have not stopped using it, so I can prove a connection to the UK. The gov.uk website says I 'may' be eligible for loans but I am not entirely sure how this is decided - I am VERY worried I won't be eligible for student finance. I already have my university place confirmed. Any people who've been in a similar situation who can offer insight? Or anyone from SFE who can give me a clearer answer than what is on the website? Thanks so much
Original post by inmylife506
I'm a UK national with dual citizenship (I'm also an EU national). I have spent the last year doing a gap year abroad in the EU. I worked while abroad, but always only short-term contracts with defined end points. I also visited the UK several times. My UK bank account remains active and I have not stopped using it, so I can prove a connection to the UK. The gov.uk website says I 'may' be eligible for loans but I am not entirely sure how this is decided - I am VERY worried I won't be eligible for student finance. I already have my university place confirmed. Any people who've been in a similar situation who can offer insight? Or anyone from SFE who can give me a clearer answer than what is on the website? Thanks so

Hi there, In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:
1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:
1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Angela

I have already secured a place at Cambridge to study History and Modern Languages. I'm 19, have a British passport and am also an EU citizen. By status I assume you mean marital - I am single, and have lived in the UK all my life up until last September when I left the UK to do a gap year in the EU. This is my first degree and so far I only have A Levels and GCSEs :smile:
I have already secured a place at Cambridge to study History and Modern Languages. I'm 19, have a British passport and am also an EU citizen. By status I assume you mean marital - I am single, and have lived in the UK all my life up until last September when I left the UK to do a gap year in the EU. This is my first degree and so far I only have A Levels and GCSEs :smile:

Hi there, do you hold pre settled status? Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Hi there, do you hold pre settled status? Thanks, Angela

No, as far as I know I don't need it? Because I am also British
No, as far as I know I don't need it? Because I am also British

Hi there, Based on the information provided you will be eligible to apply for Student Finance, we may ask for evidence of your temporary break. Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Hi there, Based on the information provided you will be eligible to apply for Student Finance, we may ask for evidence of your temporary break. Thanks, Angela

Okay, thanks so much :smile:
Okay, thanks so much :smile:

Hi there, You are more than welcome. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending