The Student Room Group

Retake what modules

Hi
Got my A level result today for maths and I got an C a high one as I was three ums away from an B. I got 63 ums in C1, 80ums in c2 and 64 ums in s1... I know it sounds so **** but I didn't prepare myself well enough and I want to resit modules but do I have to retake c1 and s1 both to get an A or can I retake just one.

Thank you.

P.S - WHAT if I get it remarked and it moves to an B how does resisting modules work ?
Original post by A-level04
Hi
Got my A level result today for maths and I got an C a high one as I was three ums away from an B. I got 63 ums in C1, 80ums in c2 and 64 ums in s1... I know it sounds so **** but I didn't prepare myself well enough and I want to resit modules but do I have to retake c1 and s1 both to get an A or can I retake just one.

Thank you.

P.S - WHAT if I get it remarked and it moves to an B how does resisting modules work ?

C1 would be the easiest to do! Once you've done the others it'll seem ridiculously easy and you should be able to do really welll without really doing anything. S1 will be harder as you won't have done anything similar this year or built on it- it'd be pretty much stand alone. If your grade goes up it might still be worth it for C1 just to take the pressure off A2 a bit. But yeah, talk to your teachers and then it's up to you. Good luck, and well done!
Hi

Thank you.

It depends how far you expect to go up in each one - talk to your teachers and see what they think it achievable for you
Hi

Thank you.

Hi there,

First off all, well done on your result in Maths (even despite the struggle, you passed!) :smile:

You can certainly consider the remark as you're very close to the next grade boundary so you could take a chance and see how that works out, but also be prepared to accept that if the overall grade decreases, that'll be your final grade and you cannot change that, but most often that not, the grade will increase!

Resitting the modules in year 13 are a lot harder than in year 12.. so usually if people retake, they'll take a year out to do A levels (or the selected A level qualification) and then reapply for university the year after. If you plan to do this though, bear in mind you will have to start to apply for 2018 university entry from this September, and the write up of personal statements etc. but if this is route you feel comfortable in doing, that's great :smile:

If you need any more help, please don't hesitate to PM me :h:
Reply 4
Original post by furryface12
C1 would be the easiest to do! Once you've done the others it'll seem ridiculously easy and you should be able to do really welll without really doing anything. S1 will be harder as you won't have done anything similar this year or built on it- it'd be pretty much stand alone. If your grade goes up it might still be worth it for C1 just to take the pressure off A2 a bit. But yeah, talk to your teachers and then it's up to you. Good luck, and well done!

Thank you , so shall I just retake c1 and leave s1 the way it is ... but can I still get an A? And if I get a B after remarked I shoul just leave stats ?
Reply 5
Original post by Lovinlife2
Hi there,

First off all, well done on your result in Maths (even despite the struggle, you passed!) :smile:

You can certainly consider the remark as you're very close to the next grade boundary so you could take a chance and see how that works out, but also be prepared to accept that if the overall grade decreases, that'll be your final grade and you cannot change that, but most often that not, the grade will increase!

Resitting the modules in year 13 are a lot harder than in year 12.. so usually if people retake, they'll take a year out to do A levels (or the selected A level qualification) and then reapply for university the year after. If you plan to do this though, bear in mind you will have to start to apply for 2018 university entry from this September, and the write up of personal statements etc. but if this is route you feel comfortable in doing, that's great :smile:

If you need any more help, please don't hesitate to PM me :h:

What if I just retake c1 and in January?
Reply 6
Thank you , so shall I just retake c1 and leave s1 the way it is ... but can I still get an A? And if I get a B after remarked I shoul just leave stats ?

It's up to you and what workload you think you can cope with.

Whichever modules you resit, your best score will count so if you do resit S1 and do worse, your original score will count.

But beware you are in a "changeover year". The modular exams are not available to new students next year (unless they do the whole A level in a year) so if you decide to not do A2 next year but resit AS, you could end up with a problem taking your A2 in 2 years time.

If you're going to try A2 next year, then you might as well resit your AS modules. If you're thinking of redoing AS, it will almost certainly be the new linear course, not the modular one. (They're very similar in content, just different exam styles - and no non-calculator exam!)

Yep you can still get an A! I'd just leave stats whatever it comes back as but talk to your teacher. Are you doing S2 this year? If so it could be worth a retake, other than that just focus on this year which is the main thing- that's still all in the balance so you need as much time free as possible. Good luck!
Reply 8
What if I just retake c1 and in January?

There are no January resits. That ended about 3 years ago.
Reply 9
Yep you can still get an A! I'd just leave stats whatever it comes back as but talk to your teacher. Are you doing S2 this year? If so it could be worth a retake, other than that just focus on this year which is the main thing- that's still all in the balance so you need as much time free as possible. Good luck!

We are doing m1 in A2, so do you think I should just retake c1 and push it up as much as I can even if I get an high B this means I can get an A overall?
We are doing m1 in A2, so do you think I should just retake c1 and push it up as much as I can even if I get an high B this means I can get an A overall?

Yep just do C1 then or it's going to be a lot of work to redo stats. For an A overall you just need 480 UMS out of 600 (or 240 at AS), so you could get full marks in five modules and none in one and still get an A! For a B it's 420 and 210 for A2 and AS :smile:
Reply 11
Yep just do C1 then or it's going to be a lot of work to redo stats. For an A overall you just need 480 UMS out of 600 (or 240 at AS), so you could get full marks in five modules and none in one and still get an A! For a B it's 420 and 210 for A2 and AS :smile:

Thanks so much for the help ! Do you know what I have to get at A2 to get an an A overall?sorry for asking so many questions!!! And I should just retake c1?
Thanks so much for the help ! Do you know what I have to get at A2 to get an an A overall?sorry for asking so many questions!!! And I should just retake c1?

To get an A overall, you need 80% of 600 - that's 480 UMS.

(It doesn't matter how you get it. A2 modules have the same "weight" as AS ones.)

(To get an A*, you need a minimum of 480 overall and a minimum of 180 from C3 + C4.)

For an A overall you need 480 UMS, you already have 207 of that so with no resits for an A overall you'd need 273 at A2. You should be able to get at least another 20 or so in C1 which should help, but that's still quite a lot and much higher than what you've got this year. If you'd be happy with a B you just need 213 which is a lot more achieveable and I would just take C1. If you have your heart set on an A though it's going to be more difficult and you need to have a think about how you're going to go about it, and talk to your teacher about what they'd suggest.

Sorry, I don't feel like that's a lot of help! It's really confusing I know but there's no right answer really. It's the balance between not overloading yourself so much that you do worse, but still giving yourself enough of a chance to do really well.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
For an A overall you need 480 UMS, you already have 207 of that so with no resits for an A overall you'd need 273 at A2. You should be able to get at least another 20 or so in C1 which should help, but that's still quite a lot and much higher than what you've got this year. If you'd be happy with a B you just need 213 which is a lot more achieveable and I would just take C1. If you have your heart set on an A though it's going to be more difficult and you need to have a think about how you're going to go about it, and talk to your teacher about what they'd suggest.

Sorry, I don't feel like that's a lot of help! It's really confusing I know but there's no right answer really. It's the balance between not overloading yourself so much that you do worse, but still giving yourself enough of a chance to do really well.

I understand that I can only get an B in AS if I retake c1 which I'm happy about as long as I get an high B. I'm just gonna make it for A2 and work as hard as I can because that way I can still get an A right. I understand that to get an A in AS will be difficult but if I decide an B it's going to be more easier for me isn't it ?
Hi

Thank you.

Imo I'd retake all 3 to really secure an A. C3 and C4 will be pretty challenging so it's best to get as much UMS points as possible in the AS exams.
I understand that I can only get an B in AS if I retake c1 which I'm happy about as long as I get an high B. I'm just gonna make it for A2 and work as hard as I can because that way I can still get an A right. I understand that to get an A in AS will be difficult but if I decide an B it's going to be more easier for me isn't it ?

A B should be fine, yeah :smile: an A is going to be really difficult though for AS or the whole A level- you'll have to get a lot higher. Really your teachers are going to be the best people to ask though, they know you best and can give the best advice. Sorry :redface:
Reply 17
A B should be fine, yeah :smile: an A is going to be really difficult though for AS or the whole A level- you'll have to get a lot higher. Really your teachers are going to be the best people to ask though, they know you best and can give the best advice. Sorry :redface:

Thanks so much though
Thanks so much though

Any time :smile: sorry not to have been of more help!

Quick Reply

Latest