The Student Room Group

About to fail my second year resits. Anyone else been in this situation?

Hi there,
I'm about to fail my second year resits and I'm wondering what other people have done in my situation.

I study physics at Nottingham, and whilst I didn't really enjoy the first year of my course I got through it despite sitting a month out of uni due to illness and came out with a 2:1. I found this encouraging and decided to continue despite the fact that I was finding it boring and wasn't enjoying the teaching.

Fast forward to second year, and despite doing well in the courseworks and all of my lab projects/reports I've failed all the exams. I find revising the topics extremely tedious and have a huge mental block when it comes to revision. Towards the end of the year I pretty much gave up on going to lectures and my grades dropped through the floor. I'm now about to resit the exams next week but I've experienced the same lack of motivation and have done very little revision so will most likely fail them outright.

I love the social side of uni life; I'm the president of a society, I get on well with my housemates, we've been to and hosted a lot of parties. I just can't hack my course. The workload is obscene which is so demotivating. handing in 2 assessed pieces of coursework a week plus constant lab prep all year round when the exams are still worth 80% is exhausting.

As a bit of background I've always been more interested in creative endeavours than physics, but decided to take physics because of it's wide-ranging job applications. Recently I've been working freelance as an digital/audiovisual artist and that's become a big part of my life.

Should I resit the year and try and buckle down? Should I drop out? Should I try and get onto a different course and start from scratch? I'm at a total loss, and have never felt so unsure of anything in my life.
Original post by physicsandbeer
Hi there,
I'm about to fail my second year resits and I'm wondering what other people have done in my situation.

I study physics at Nottingham, and whilst I didn't really enjoy the first year of my course I got through it despite sitting a month out of uni due to illness and came out with a 2:1. I found this encouraging and decided to continue despite the fact that I was finding it boring and wasn't enjoying the teaching.

Fast forward to second year, and despite doing well in the courseworks and all of my lab projects/reports I've failed all the exams. I find revising the topics extremely tedious and have a huge mental block when it comes to revision. Towards the end of the year I pretty much gave up on going to lectures and my grades dropped through the floor. I'm now about to resit the exams next week but I've experienced the same lack of motivation and have done very little revision so will most likely fail them outright.

I love the social side of uni life; I'm the president of a society, I get on well with my housemates, we've been to and hosted a lot of parties. I just can't hack my course. The workload is obscene which is so demotivating. handing in 2 assessed pieces of coursework a week plus constant lab prep all year round when the exams are still worth 80% is exhausting.

As a bit of background I've always been more interested in creative endeavours than physics, but decided to take physics because of it's wide-ranging job applications. Recently I've been working freelance as an digital/audiovisual artist and that's become a big part of my life.

Should I resit the year and try and buckle down? Should I drop out? Should I try and get onto a different course and start from scratch? I'm at a total loss, and have never felt so unsure of anything in my life.

you still have time to change your course
I don't get why you've already accepted defeat. When's your resits? Or are they done?
Original post by LawlietOrMello
I don't get why you've already accepted defeat. When's your resits? Or are they done?

Monday-Friday next week. I got about 10% in a couple of these exams, I don't think it's physically possible to learn enough by next week to even pass. Obviously I'm going to try.
Original post by study beats
you still have time to change your course

I only have science related A-levels so I'm not sure what else I would get onto.
I only have science related A-levels so I'm not sure what else I would get onto.

first of all try and pass the exams you have

then go see a careers or a course adviser as soon as possible...

i also dropped out of first year at university because i did not like the course. You need to do a course which you are passionate about, otherwise the next 2 years are going to be even more difficult
Monday-Friday next week. I got about 10% in a couple of these exams, I don't think it's physically possible to learn enough by next week to even pass. Obviously I'm going to try.

Mate this is the perfect time for you to be clutch. You'd be amazed at how quickly information sticks when stakes are high. Get off TSR and smash through past papers. See which one you get lowest in, start revising that one. Idk how many exams you have but dedicate all day and split time between units. Not like you have anything more important to do.

There's been occasions where I've learnt more in 4 days of revision than I have in 3 months of lectures.
Original post by LawlietOrMello
Mate this is the perfect time for you to be clutch. You'd be amazed at how quickly information sticks when stakes are high. Get off TSR and smash through past papers. See which one you get lowest in, start revising that one. Idk how many exams you have but dedicate all day and split time between units. Not like you have anything more important to do.

There's been occasions where I've learnt more in 4 days of revision than I have in 3 months of lectures.

They took away all past papers this year, we just have *****y sample papers. The problem is there's such an obscene amount of content to learn and practically any of it can and does come up in exams. I've got 249 pages and 1131 slides of content to learn thoroughly. I used to be the same, I learned pretty much everything for first year in the last week and half. It's just absurdly daunting now.
They took away all past papers this year, we just have *****y sample papers. The problem is there's such an obscene amount of content to learn and practically any of it can and does come up in exams. I've got 249 pages and 1131 slides of content to learn thoroughly. I used to be the same, I learned pretty much everything for first year in the last week and half. It's just absurdly daunting now.

How do your fellow students cope?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending