The Student Room Group

Getting into midwifery

Hello everyone,

I am looking to start a midwifery degree in September 2018.
I have just finished college doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care with the grades DDM.
I am taking this next year out to gain relevant experience in order to be considered as a suitable, experienced candidate because of just how competitive the course is.
Any ideas on what kind of experience I should go for? I will do anything just to have a chance at getting onto this course as I am extremely passionate about eventually becoming a midwife.
Any help would be so greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
Hello Samantha,

Congratulations on your results!

Midwifery is extremely competitive, more so than the other branches of Nursing. This is mainly due to the amount of available places available. However, as you have rightly said, experience within the care sector will help boost your application! I would suggest attempting to find voluntary experience within any role in Healthcare. If possible, I would suggest contacting your local hospital and enquiring about a voluntary placement working alongside Midwives.

Good luck!
I agree with the poster above, it is fiercely competitive.

You could look into shadowing a private midwife?

Volunteering at breastfeeding support groups, antenatal classes, pregnancy yoga ect could also be other options for you to explore.
Reply 3
Im aslo in the same boat. Ringing round maternity hospitals

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending