The Student Room Group

Durham or Cambridge reapplication

Just looking for some advice about my situation.

Last year I was pooled and rejected from Cambridge for Natural Science after average performances in the assessment and interview. In the feedback, it said "If we'd had another handful of places he would have probably been just the other side of the line that we had to draw." That was difficult to digest, and I've been waiting for my A-level results before deciding to reapply.

I got D1s in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics Pre-Us, and an A in EP. I have an offer to study NatSci at Durham next year, although I'm not sure whether to take the place or reapply to Cambridge.

I know the course at Cambridge is better and a Cambridge degree is internationally recognised, but the Durham course is also very good, and it would mean I could just continue with my studies without taking a year out.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by madrid1960
Just looking for some advice about my situation.

Last year I was pooled and rejected from Cambridge for Natural Science after average performances in the assessment and interview. In the feedback, it said "If we'd had another handful of places he would have probably been just the other side of the line that we had to draw." That was difficult to digest, and I've been waiting for my A-level results before deciding to reapply.

I got D1s in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics Pre-Us, and an A in EP. I have an offer to study NatSci at Durham next year, although I'm not sure whether to take the place or reapply to Cambridge.

I know the course at Cambridge is better and a Cambridge degree is internationally recognised, but the Durham course is also very good, and it would mean I could just continue with my studies without taking a year out.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

As you will appreciate, there are no guarantees of a Cambridge place. But D1s are very good marks, so if you genuinely don't mind taking a gap year with the chance of not getting the Cambridge place I'd say to go for it.

I'd also recommend asking one of the resident Cambridge ATs when they open their 2018 Admissions AMA thread shortly in University of Cambridge

Edit to add: the thread has just opened. I strongly recommend using it :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4896414
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I thought about reapplying before I got my grades, and even though my grades surpass the entry requirements, I don't want to risk doing it and not getting a place, and then having to take a gap year and end up back at Durham. I'm for natsci too - and I'd expect that most of the people are rejects from Cambridge. Plus, most of the subject knowledge is still in your mind, whereas in a year you'll have to relearn it all over again. And the admissions test is disgusting too. I'm in a group chat for my college, and myself and the 2 physicists are Oxbridge rejects. You won't be alone in that. Durham is still an incredibly good place to study. Which college are you for Durham?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending