The Student Room Group

Worried for my friend bcz her as-level reuslts were relaly bad

So my friend got 1A, 5B's and 2C's at GCSE's took Chem Physcology and Bio at As-level and got CCD. She wants to be a neuroscientist, but do u think she can do this with her as-level results?
Original post by Ello32
So my friend got 1A, 5B's and 2C's at GCSE's took Chem Physcology and Bio at As-level and got CCD. She wants to be a neuroscientist, but do u think she can do this with her as-level results?

If you get her to post on here then we can advise.

To get an offer it would help if she had high predicted grades from her teachers because the AS will mean they are likely to be concerned.

If she really wants to be a neuroscientist then she will need high A levels AAB +
Leicester is ABB.

She needs to get her scripts back and find out what went wrong, then start to improve. The good thing is she hasnt lost any marks because exams are linear so all exams and marks are at end of year 2. She could still get all A's, but she has to improve.

Revision books, tutor, youtube, lots of exam practice. If she works hard (maybe harder than she ever has), then she cna still make it.

If she doesnt get any offers, she still must get the grades and then use clearing or apply the following year.

This is in clearing at Cardiff. Neuroscience with a prelim year.
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/course/neuroscience-with-a-preliminary-year-bsc

Also not sure how they are with resits, so she should contact them. If they are ok with resit that would be a big plus. Medicine mostly is not ok with resits which makes it extra hard.

She needs to decide if she really wants it and if so she must commit to working hard and smart enough to boost her grades. Crying wont help her, dont quit , but get determined. Tell her she can still turn it round.
I was also hoping to go into neuroscience and am taking Classics, Biology, Philosophy and Psychology at A level. Would a uni accept me onto a neuroscience course is I took these A levels?
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
If you get her to post on here then we can advise.

To get an offer it would help if she had high predicted grades from her teachers because the AS will mean they are likely to be concerned.

If she really wants to be a neuroscientist then she will need high A levels AAB +
Leicester is ABB.

She needs to get her scripts back and find out what went wrong, then start to improve. The good thing is she hasnt lost any marks because exams are linear so all exams and marks are at end of year 2. She could still get all A's, but she has to improve.

Revision books, tutor, youtube, lots of exam practice. If she works hard (maybe harder than she ever has), then she cna still make it.

If she doesnt get any offers, she still must get the grades and then use clearing or apply the following year.

This is in clearing at Cardiff. Neuroscience with a prelim year.
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/course/neuroscience-with-a-preliminary-year-bsc

Also not sure how they are with resits, so she should contact them. If they are ok with resit that would be a big plus. Medicine mostly is not ok with resits which makes it extra hard.

She needs to decide if she really wants it and if so she must commit to working hard and smart enough to boost her grades. Crying wont help her, dont quit , but get determined. Tell her she can still turn it round.

Ty for the amazing advice for her. Just sent her this. She dosen't have an account on TSR but i'll tell her to make one. I'm also worried bcz she dosen't seem as focused as last yr (although she done bad last yr). e.g. shes got like 9000 followers on insta so she always has to post pics etc etc etc I hope she can get her sht together bcz she should have learnt her lesson from last yr! if u get me
Reply 4
Original post by Emsio8
I was also hoping to go into neuroscience and am taking Classics, Biology, Philosophy and Psychology at A level. Would a uni accept me onto a neuroscience course is I took these A levels?

I think you need two sciences but you never know, just search around the internet to see.
Original post by Ello32
Ty for the amazing advice for her. Just sent her this. She dosen't have an account on TSR but i'll tell her to make one. I'm also worried bcz she dosen't seem as focused as last yr (although she done bad last yr). e.g. shes got like 9000 followers on insta so she always has to post pics etc etc etc I hope she can get her sht together bcz she should have learnt her lesson from last yr! if u get me

You hit the nail on the head. Wake up call. how much does she want it? It would seem like theres massive scope for improvement if she kicks social media.

Quick Reply

Latest