The Student Room Group

Off road parking

Hi,
Just wondering, what's the general rule for off road parking. Do you think it is okay to park right in front of neighbours' driveway (without asking beforehand) ?
( say the neighbours don't have cars in their driveway but their visitors do?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 578.ccu
Hi,
Just wondering, what's the general rule for off road parking. Do you think it is okay to park right in front of neighbours' driveway (without asking beforehand) ?

No, parking beside a driveway yes, but in front never.
Original post by 578.ccu
Hi,

You should not obstruct any driveways, as it is illegal. Even if there are no "H-Markings", as it is still obstruction.

Please do mind where you post in future, as this thread should be in the "Cars and motoring" forum, not the Relationships forum! I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by RoyalSheepy
You should not obstruct any driveways, as it is illegal. Even if there are no "H-Markings", as it is still obstruction.

Please do mind where you post in future, as this thread should be in the "Cars and motoring" forum, not the Relationships forum! I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:

Ok thank you :biggrin:
Original post by 578.ccu
Ok thank you :biggrin:

Not a problem, have a lovely day :h:
Reply 5
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
No, parking beside a driveway yes, but in front never.

Thank you, that's what I thought. Basically I have a driveway in front of my house and my neighbour constantly park her car infornt of my house and blocking my driveway. She never ask me whether she can park there. So I was just being nice and put a paper notice on her car telling her that I am a bit annoyed she does that. Although I do not have cars but when my friends come over, they need to park their car in my driveway.

She was furious and kept doing it. I didn't want to call the police. She even told me off and said I should allow her to park her car (blocking my driveway) because I don't have a car.

How should I deal with this parking disputes ? I want to try to be nice but my neighbour does not show any respect to me whatsoever
Reply 6
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Not a problem, have a lovely day :h:

:biggrin: you too have a wonderful day
Original post by 578.ccu
Thank you, that's what I thought. Basically I have a driveway in front of my house and my neighbour constantly park her car infornt of my house and blocking my driveway. She never ask me whether she can park there. So I was just being nice and put a paper notice on her car telling her that I am a bit annoyed she does that. Although I do not have cars but when my friends come over, they need to park their car in my driveway.

She was furious and kept doing it. I didn't want to call the police. She even told me off and said I should allow her to park her car (blocking my driveway) because I don't have a car.

How should I deal with this parking disputes ? I want to try to be nice but my neighbour does not show any respect to me whatsoever

I would call up 101, it is illegal to park in-front someones driveway, as it is a form of obstruction.

Get some photographic evidence (get a couple of photos, also including the reg of the car), and then ring up 101.

EDIT: Here's an article which explains more: http://www3.northamptonshire.gov.uk/councilservices/northamptonshire-highways/parking/Pages/obstruction-of-driveways.aspx
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by 578.ccu

You should probably get in contact with your local council about this, file a complaint and see if they can respond. The police likely won't act as it's a civil matter, but if your neighbour's parked on the street/pavement and it's blocking access to your home then the council can issue a parking fine I think. If she's parked on your actual driveway though it's trickier as it's private land rather than council owned, but by the sounds of it this situation falls into the council's area of control.
Despite what has been said, it isn't strictly illegal to park across someones driveway... Look at rule 243 in the highway code, the rule commonly used to argue against parking across a driveway, it's a DO NOT rule, thus it isn't backed up by any law at all. It's not strictly illegal, but you can be given fined for it. Traffic wardens don't tend to do it too much though. Police might issue an FPN, though I suspect that unless you've got a garage, or if there's a car on your drive being blocked, they wont bother.

This goes for your own car as well (when you get one), you shouldn't park across your own driveway for a period of time unless you've confirmed your residency and vehicle details with your local council as you can still be issued a ticket.

The only time it is illegal is if you're preventing the owner of the vehicle on the drive (regardless of whether they're supposed to be parking on that drive or not) from accessing the public highway. If they're not preventing someone from accessing the public highway, it's a civil matter.

Either way, speak with your neighbour, if that doesn't sort things you can make a complaint to the local council. If one of your visitors are blocked in by them, again, speak with the neighbour, if they refuse to move it (or aren't in) call 101. Might not get it moved, but if police are there before it's moved they'll likely issue an FPN.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending