The Student Room Group

Mature student - lots of advice needed

Hi all,I'm a 28 year old single mum (I have lots of family support) and am looking into doing an access course next year with the view to good to Uni to study paediatric nursing. Has anyone else done similar who can offer advice please?I know the access course is usually a set 3 days per week - will I get good financial support? In regards to uni, how many days/ hours per week are you usually expected to be in uni for please? And are they set days? TIA x
Original post by ChelseaProcter
Hi all,I'm a 28 year old single mum (I have lots of family support) and am looking into doing an access course next year with the view to good to Uni to study paediatric nursing. Has anyone else done similar who can offer advice please?I know the access course is usually a set 3 days per week - will I get good financial support? In regards to uni, how many days/ hours per week are you usually expected to be in uni for please? And are they set days? TIA x

Access course - they might be some very limited local funding from the college which is offering the Access course, but it's a Level 3 qualification, so there is no 'student funding' package.

Uni - you'd expect a pretty full-on timetable, particularly in the first year. Plus placement weeks, which are full-time working. You need to work on being in Uni for at least part of the day four to five days a week, certainly in the first year. The exact days will be fixed each semester - so you will probably find they change in January as you do different modules.

My tip here would be that you do need to try to fit your existing life around the Access/Uni work, not the other way round. This might sound unrealistic and simplistic, but trying to do it as an 'add-on' to your current situation won't end in success.
lots of nurses do it my wife did. dont worry you wont be the oldest by a long way. your life experience will help with the emotional challenges that you will face doing sick childrens nursing.

Quick Reply

Latest