The Student Room Group

Are grade boundaries too low?

In Edexcel Maths in 2017 to get a 4 you have to get 41 out of 240, and in 2016 to get a C you had to get 70 out of 200.

Are they too low this year? What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I find the results a bit low after looking at all the files. Me personally did Edexcel IGCSE Maths higher early and it's surprising to see the A* dropping down all the way down to 77. I predicted a 82.
They're really really low :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by Fox Corner
In Edexcel Maths in 2017 to get a 4 you have to get 41 out of 240, and in 2016 to get a C you had to get 70 out of 200.

They reflect on how well people did on that test so...

It seems that many didn't get high marks.

Eitherway, for AQA maths you need to get 189 marks for a 9. I'll be gutted if I didn't get a 9.
(edited 6 years ago)
What's to complain about? If they're lower you will get a better grade.
no, i want to get rid of English, low marks = happier
No such thing as "too low". They're set based on candidate performance.

They not too low because they are based on comparable outcomes. That is the same amount who got c or better last year got 4 or better this year.

The real question is was the exam too hard.

For instance in the higher paper a quarter of the paper was inaccessible to most of the students.
Reply 8
GCSE boundaries have always seemed too low to me. Remember one exam was like half marks for full UMS lmao. But yeah they can't much raise them without making the A*/9 being something that 1% get as opposed to like 3%
Original post by _gcx
No such thing as "too low". They're set based on candidate performance.

I think it was more of a "wow these grade boundaries are so low, I wonder what this tells you about how poorly the nation did and how these new reformed GCSEs have done more bad than good"
Original post by homeland.lsw
I think it was more of a "wow these grade boundaries are so low, I wonder what this tells you about how poorly the nation did and how these new reformed GCSEs have done more bad than good"

That popped to mind when I saw the grade boundaries for a 7/8. The fact that >51% constitutes the top 20% is just shocking.
Original post by _gcx
That popped to mind when I saw the grade boundaries for a 7/8. The fact that >51% constitutes the top 20% is just shocking.

not to mention this was the first year doing it, and from what I've read teachers and candidates alike struggled to make sense of the whole 1-9 system and resources were limited.

perhaps in a couple years time, they'll be very high. or maybe this year's year 11 was just very thick?
Look at OCR Maths fml
For the first time it's higher than edexcel and aqa
68% for an 8 :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by homeland.lsw
not to mention this was the first year doing it, and from what I've read teachers and candidates alike struggled to make sense of the whole 1-9 system and resources were limited.

perhaps in a couple years time, they'll be very high. or maybe this year's year 11 was just very thick?

Haven't they always been low? I remember being shocked when checking out grade boundaries when I did GCSEs four years ago. Most of my experience was with WJEC though so perhaps it's just Welsh students who were bad lol.
Reply 14
but for other subjects imo too high, this is the lowest for about 10 years

They are disgustingly low. I thought 230 would be needed for a 9, but 189 is too low. Meh cannot complain but felt it's too easily achievable for a 9.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Haven't they always been low? I remember being shocked when checking out grade boundaries when I did GCSEs four years ago. Most of my experience was with WJEC though so perhaps it's just Welsh students who were bad lol.

it varies really and truly. my exams for GCSEs were pretty spread out. I remember 36/60 to get an A* for a physics paper, but at the same time quite high marks needed for biology?
Reply 17
Original post by thekidwhogames
They are disgustingly low. I thought 230 would be needed for a 9, but 189 is too low. Meh cannot complain but felt it's too easily achievable for a 9.

"disgustingly low" LMAO wow ok. supposed you would've preferred it if a 9 was 0.5% of the population so you could gloat about how much cleverer you are than everyone else because of how you did in your GCSEs. have fun parading around with your inflated self ego i guess.
Original post by lyanu
"disgustingly low" LMAO wow ok. supposed you would've preferred it if a 9 was 0.5% of the population so you could gloat about how much cleverer you are than everyone else because of how you did in your GCSEs. have fun parading around with your inflated self ego i guess.

I guess you misunderstood me. No where did I imply that the percentile be altered to 0.5%. Obviously, top ~3% makes sense for grade 9 as it's not that much of a step up. Either way, they ARE disgustingly low. Most schools used boundaries for mocks and such that are 10-40 marks higher than what it is. It is disgustingly low as it conflicts with what has been assumed for the past few years and what has been hyped - "nearly full marks to achieve top grade, harder than before". I just said compared to what is expected, it is extremely low. Also, nowhere did I imply GCSEs are a measure of intelligence. Quite frankly, I think GCSEs do not reflect one's intelligence as it varies from person to person which Einstein also agrees with. I don't understand why you are salty as all your points are fabricated against me.
Reply 19
Original post by thekidwhogames
I guess you misunderstood me. No where did I imply that the percentile be altered to 0.5%. Obviously, top ~3% makes sense for grade 9 as it's not that much of a step up. Either way, they ARE disgustingly low. Most schools used boundaries for mocks and such that are 10-40 marks higher than what it is. It is disgustingly low as it conflicts with what has been assumed for the past few years and what has been hyped - "nearly full marks to achieve top grade, harder than before". I just said compared to what is expected, it is extremely low. Also, nowhere did I imply GCSEs are a measure of intelligence. Quite frankly, I think GCSEs do not reflect one's intelligence as it varies from person to person which Einstein also agrees with. I don't understand why you are salty as all your points are fabricated against me.

i'm 'salty' because instead of realising the grade boundaries are low because of how difficult the test was, you wanted them to be higher. you know what would've happened if the grade boundaries were 40 marks higher? a substantial amount of the country would fail their maths gcse. the only reason they were that high for schools in the first place was because it was a new gcse, so schools had to conjure up grade boundaries basically out of thin air. so for example, a selective grammar school would have had extremely high grade boundaries, therefore a student who was targeted a 6 may have gotten an 8, possibly a 9. if you think your school's grade boundaries are more accurate than the exam board's grade boundaries, which were calculated from the entire country, then there's not much i can do to change your mind.

and it is harder to achieve a top grade than it was before. the passing rate went down, the top grade is at 3%. i honestly cannot understand how you say 3% for the top grade is ok, yet in the same breath say that the grade boundaries are too low. they're literally calculated from the percentage of people who did that well, how is that difficult to understand.

(edited because of grammar mistakes whoops)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest