The Student Room Group

BTECs for university?

I know that this is a relationships category, however I just want to post anonymously. I am applying to do a level 3 extended diploma in IT so I can study Computer Science at uni (Cambridge is my most wanted, but I have selected: Cambridge, KCL, UCL, Lancaster and Kent). Shall I combine A-Level Maths with my level 3? I really don't know what to do and the university never replies to my query. Thanks x
Are you ashamed? Lol
Reply 2
Original post by Mightlobster
Are you ashamed? Lol

You could say so :lol:
Those are pretty competitive universities, so A Level Maths would surely help. Also, research their entry requirements. See what they're looking for.
Reply 4
Those are pretty competitive universities, so A Level Maths would surely help. Also, research their entry requirements. See what they're looking for.

They're not specific/clear enough with the entry requirements :frown: it makes no sense at all to me
Original post by Anonymous
They're not specific/clear enough with the entry requirements :frown: it makes no sense at all to me

Just gave it a look. Maths is needed for sure. Entry requirements are A*A*A.

Having a BTEC would surely put you at a disadvantage.
Reply 6
Just gave it a look. Maths is needed for sure. Entry requirements are A*A*A.

Having a BTEC would surely put you at a disadvantage.

Would home studying A-Levels be okay?
I'm in the exact same position as you, doing the same course, predicted triple D* but I want to go to Lancaster to do MSci CS but I haven't taken maths A level. I chose graphics instead because I know i've had enough of maths at GCSE. I know that Lancaster would accept you because I emailed them and they said they would typically accept students studying BTEC ICT who achieved Maths GCSE at grade B, which I have. I'm just super scared that I wouldn't get a place because they consider A-Level Computer Science applicants first. I'm kinda relieved that i'm not the only one in this kinda situation. If I were you and you'd be able to get an A/A* at maths A Level do it. Best of luck to you. Leed's Uni would also accept you for its applied computer science course without maths.
(edited 6 years ago)
I've just had a look at Cambridge and KCL entry requirements, the general feeling is that a BTEC alone won't be enough. I'm not sure wether just a maths a level would be enough to give you a decent advantage. For those 2 universities anyway.

Kent will accept triple distinctions in your BTEC, maybe you could look at some other universities?
Would home studying A-Levels be okay?

Definitely. If anything, it'll better your application.
Original post by Sabi120
I'm in the exact same position as you, doing the same course, predicted triple D* but I want to go to Lancaster to do MSci CS but I haven't taken maths A level. I chose graphics instead because I know i've had enough of maths at GCSE. I know that Lancaster would accept you because I emailed them and they said they would typically accept students studying BTEC ICT who achieved Maths GCSE at grade B, which I have. I'm just super scared that I wouldn't get a place because they consider A-Level Computer Science applicants first. I'm kinda relieved that i'm not the only one in this kinda situation. If I were you and you'd be able to get an A/A* at maths A Level do it. Best of luck to you. Leed's Uni would also accept you for its applied computer science course without maths.

HEYYY, I want to do CS at Lancaster now, they want triple D's don't they? (no, don't get the wrong idea :lol: ) They accept BTEC alone right? F**k Oxbridge, I'd rather be at a top ten but relaxed uni like Lancaster :smile:
HEYYY, I want to do CS at Lancaster now, they want triple D's don't they? (no, don't get the wrong idea :lol: ) They accept BTEC alone right? F**k Oxbridge, I'd rather be at a top ten but relaxed uni like Lancaster :smile:

:lol::lol::lol: Hahaha no worries. Omg i'm just like so relieved that i'm not the only person in a similar position. Exactly that! I live an hour away too so transport shouldn't be that bad compared to other unis. I'm not so experienced in CS though programming wise like I did computing at GCSE got a C. Did A -Levels for a month at college and switched to BTEC cuz I didn't wanna risk doing 2 years again if I didn't get the grades I wanted in CS. So ive been looking at this IT management course at lancaster its not undergrad masters its bsc but yeah its something atleast but idk whether to go for CS or IT. Help:frown: and iv'e even been looking at IT management bsc courses at Manchester Uni some of my friends could go there so idek what to do rn. CS or IT at Lancaster or Manchester. Undergrad Masters or Bsc. That is my problem.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending