The Student Room Group

Unsure about which A-Levels to take.

I'm definitely taking maths and further maths, but I don't know what to take as my third subject. I'd like to study maths at uni (with Oxbridge being the goal), but I'm a little concerned I'll struggle to get an A in an essay based subject. I'm interested in Politics and so am considering Government and Politics, but I'm just not sure I'll be able to get the grade I need in it to do maths at Oxbridge. Does anyone have any suggestions for subjects?

My GCSEs:
Maths - 9
English Literature - 7
English Language - 7
Geography - A
Religious Studies - A
Sociology - B
Physics - B
Chemistry - B
Biology - C
ECDL - Distinction *
Reply 1
Original post by Ally-mai
I'm definitely taking maths and further maths, but I don't know what to take as my third subject. I'd like to study maths at uni (with Oxbridge being the goal), but I'm a little concerned I'll struggle to get an A in an essay based subject. I'm interested in Politics and so am considering Government and Politics, but I'm just not sure I'll be able to get the grade I need in it to do maths at Oxbridge. Does anyone have any suggestions for subjects?

My GCSEs:
Maths - 9
English Literature - 7
English Language - 7
Geography - A
Religious Studies - A
Sociology - B
Physics - B
Chemistry - B
Biology - C
ECDL - Distinction *

do you like physics/chemistry much? these are best for maths imo especially physics
Reply 2
Original post by bruh2132
do you like physics/chemistry much? these are best for maths imo especially physics

I did consider it, but I guessed quite a bit on p2 and p3 and I only got a B overall, so am worried I'll struggle to get the grade I want at A-level.
I don't know much about the ECDL but would you consider computing? But as said above physics/chemistry are also good options, they are more mathematical at A Level than GCSE
Reply 4
si
I did consider it, but I guessed quite a bit on p2 and p3 and I only got a B overall, so am worried I'll struggle to get the grade I want at A-level.

it's not completely important but physics/chemistry are preferred, you might like to consider chemistry, it's not too bad(not nearly as bad as physics) and there are no essays, it's largely learning and if you put in the work you can come out with a top grade

edit computing is also good option, it leaves your doors open and you did well at it
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Rocco123
I don't know much about the ECDL but would you consider computing? But as said above physics/chemistry are also good options, they are more mathematical at A Level than GCSE

The ECDL basically just shows that you can use microsoft office.
Reply 6
Original post by bruh2132
si

it's not completely important but physics/chemistry are preferred, you might like to consider chemistry, it's not too bad(not nearly as bad as physics) and there are no essays, it's largely learning and if you put in the work you can come out with a top grade

edit computing is also good option, it leaves your doors open and you did well at it

I didn't enjoy chemistry at gcse, especially the practical element.
imo do gov & politics
Hi :smile: Since you want to study maths at uni and you struggle at essay based subjects, the best A level combinations would be physics/chemistry or computer science (as mentioned above)

But you really don't have to follow those subjects and it really should be depend on your interest.

Also, Choosing A level subjects SOLEY based on your GCSE results is not really a good idea. It'll predict your general performance at A levels but A levels are quite different from GCSE's. I've seen many people who got B for GCSE and ended up getting A* for A levels. So as long as you are interested and motivated enough to study that subject for 2 years, I think it'll be fine.

Good luck with your A levels :smile:
The ECDL basically just shows that you can use microsoft office.

Ok then, maybe that isn't the best option. I do geography A Level (and will be applying for a geography degree), essay-wise it's different to a lot of other subjects in that the essays are less arguments and more explaination at A Level. You did well at it at GCSE.
Reply 10
I didn't enjoy chemistry at gcse, especially the practical element.

if ur not gonna do computing either just go for any subject you enjoy, like government and politics(as said above), maths and further maths are the most important.
Reply 11
Thanks everyone for your help. Do you think it might be worth taking politics AND physics at first to see how I feel they go? If so, at what point should I decide what to drop?
Hey,yes it maybe a good idea to take up both politics and physics at first they maybe give it 6 weeks and drop one or if you really can't decide and think you can handle 4 then go for it

Spoiler

Reply 13

My GCSEs:
Maths - 9
English Literature - 7
English Language - 7
Geography - A
Religious Studies - A
Sociology - B
Physics - B
Chemistry - B
Biology - C
ECDL - Distinction *

For a Maths degree, the third subject isn't especially important, although for the most competitive universities you want to make sure that it is a traditional "academic" A level.

So my personal advice is to go with what you think you'll enjoy and can get a good grade in :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Meltend
Hey,yes it maybe a good idea to take up both politics and physics at first they maybe give it 6 weeks and drop one or if you really can't decide and think you can handle 4 then go for it

Spoiler

It's going well thanks! (My last video was actually a results day one!)
Reply 15
Original post by davros
For a Maths degree, the third subject isn't especially important, although for the most competitive universities you want to make sure that it is a traditional "academic" A level.

So my personal advice is to go with what you think you'll enjoy and can get a good grade in :smile:

Thanks
I'd say Economics and Physics but only do subjects you enjoy

Quick Reply

Latest