The Student Room Group

Will my lack of further maths affect me negatively?

Starting Year 12 with Maths, Physics and Chemistry because I don't know what I want to do in the future. (Not medicine or finance).

If I choose engineering so perhaps, chemical, will I be at a disadvantage?
Although some universities advise you to take further maths, it isn't a necessity and you can still get into university for engineering with those subjects quite easily provided you work hard and get good grades.
One option is to just do an AS in further maths instead of the full A-Level, either way you should be fine.
Reply 2
I took the same (got AAA) and I can tell you they're one of the best combos you can take when it comes to keeping your degree options open! They lead to a wide variety of interesting courses.

From what I know, further maths is usually only required for straight maths courses at prestigious unis, and I've seen it needed for computer science at Cambridge alongside step maths. I've also seen instances where you can receive a lower offer if you have further maths, such as at Leeds. You could replace chemistry or physics with further if you're interested in the lower offers (for maths courses), but keep in mind that, unless you take it as a 4th, subtracting a science will significantly lower your options.

Overall, I'd say it's safe to not take it, but it may be worth looking at some courses that do require it to check if you'd be interested in them.
Thanks, I am 100% sticking with Maths, Physics and Chemistry as subjects.
Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer an AS in it as you need to to take the linear course.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Ed5
I took the same (got AAA) and I can tell you they're one of the best combos you can take when it comes to keeping your degree options open! They lead to a wide variety of interesting courses.

From what I know, further maths is usually only required for straight maths courses at prestigious unis, and I've seen it needed for computer science at Cambridge alongside step maths. I've also seen instances where you can receive a lower offer if you have further maths, such as at Leeds. You could replace chemistry or physics with further if you're interested in the lower offers (for maths courses), but keep in mind that, unless you take it as a 4th, subtracting a science will significantly lower your options.

Overall, I'd say it's safe to not take it, but it may be worth looking at some courses that do require it to check if you'd be interested in them.

Thank you and if you don't mind, did you happen to do an engineering course after A-Levels?
Reply 5
Original post by Z_A2000
Thank you and if you don't mind, did you happen to do an engineering course after A-Levels?

I'm afraid not, starting an MPhys in Physics course at Newcastle late september!
Original post by Z_A2000
Starting Year 12 with Maths, Physics and Chemistry because I don't know what I want to do in the future. (Not medicine or finance).

If I choose engineering so perhaps, chemical, will I be at a disadvantage?

Those subjects are fine. Those who have further maths will have the advantage of having had already covered some of the material that will be taught in the maths modules, but not having it is far from being insurmountable, as a great many don't.
Original post by Smack
Those subjects are fine. Those who have further maths will have the advantage of having had already covered some of the material that will be taught in the maths modules, but not having it is far from being insurmountable, as a great many don't.

Thanks, I will stick with those 3 subjects then.

I actually have only seen F.Maths as a requirement for physics, computer science and maths courses but was also worried that I might be questioned as to why I had not taken it when offered the chance or maybe I am worrying too much.
Original post by Z_A2000
Thanks, I will stick with those 3 subjects then.

I actually have only seen F.Maths as a requirement for physics, computer science and maths courses but was also worried that I might be questioned as to why I had not taken it when offered the chance or maybe I am worrying too much.

Unless you're applying to Oxbridge, I think you are worrying too much. If it's something that concerns you, you could maybe look into taking it as a 4th A-level.

Quick Reply

Latest