The Student Room Group

The Decider: Destination DURHAM???

Scroll to see replies

Hi :hi:
Can I be tagged pretty please :puppyeyes:
:hugs:
Original post by DrSocSciences
Only come to Durham if you can handle the cold. It snowed here today.

I'm fine with cold but snow is ghastly stuff. It's been snowing here all day but luckily it hasn't settled. I'll have to invest in better winterwear for when I move further north :tongue:
Original post by CoolCavy
this thread is always such a refreshing read :hugs: keep doing what you are doing lovely :cube:

Aww thank you! :hugs:

Original post by laurawatt
Hi :hi:
Can I be tagged pretty please :puppyeyes:

Of course :biggrin: I'll add you now!
Original post by Protostar
Update for 16/01/2018 - Mathematical Mayhem...

Hey! Apologies for not updating yesterday, lost track of time a little bit and then got really tired in the evening so couldn't bring myself to do it :colondollar: I'll get right into it though :smile:

Monday 15th January
Further Maths: We carried on with what we'd been doing about transforming differential equations, this time applying it to First Order ones (which I find a lot harder than 2nd Order) and at first it was extremely confusing but I thiiiiiink I got there in the end. It wasn't a bad lesson really, I'm just never usually my best first thing on a Monday morning :tongue:

Free: Went to Asda and bought a chicken pesto pasta salad (because health) and as I was trying to open the sachet of pesto it EXPLODED ALL OVER ME so I was covered in pesto :angry: I had to dash to the nearest toilets and spent 10 minutes cleaning myself up but I managed to get it off pretty well, my shirt was only slightly tinged green :tongue: Other than that I ate the salad and chatted to the other person who was up on the balcony with me, I was just trying to pass the time really :dontknow:

Study period: This is the most unproductive study on my timetable - I can never ever ever be bothered in it :ashamed2: There were 4 of us in this study - 2 Y12s and 2 Y13s, and we all just talked about absolute nonsense all lesson: from events on nights out, to teachers we like/dislike, to hair, and at the end we were genuinely discussing whether or not God watches you (a) in the shower and (b) when you're fake tanning, to which my teacher looked at us like we were absolutely bonkers. Can't say it was productive in the slightest but it wasn't bad :tongue:

Maths: We didn't get our mocks back :frown: Instead we started Core 4 and did some stuff on Algebraic Fractions, which really didn't seem much more difficult than GCSE/C1 but I guess we were just being eased in gently :tongue: I really couldn't be bothered in the lesson so I didn't do much, we ended up talking a fair bit about primary schools and stuff and other than that I don't remember much :erm: I need to get the work done by next Monday so we'll see :dontknow:

After school: I decided to start tackling my mammoth Further Maths homework on 2nd Order Differential Equations, which my teacher said took him about 3 hours to do :eek: I worked from 7pm until 8pm, had an hour out while I had a bath, then worked again from 9pm until 10pm when I called it a night. In these two hours I got 10 of 15 questions done, so I'm fairly on track for doing it all in the same time frame as my teacher. At first it was a bit of a struggle as I haven't learnt many of the rules yet so I had to keep looking back through the book to remember how to do stuff, but I got the hang of things towards the end. Hope I haven't made any big mistakes! :crossedf:

Tuesday 16th January
Study period 1: Stats time :nn: In this one I started the Normal Distribution chapter and made notes on the normal distribution and the standard normal distribution, it took me a short while to get my head around it but it was okay in the end. My notes were somewhat colourful, I'll take and upload a picture at a later time, and they were neat so I was happy :smile:

Free: Bought and ate lunch while talking to some friends, basically. What else do I ever do in my frees :lol:

Further Maths (double): We started our next chapter, Polar Coordinates, which seems... deceptively okay. I did make a lot of errors today but they were all relatively small things. We drew some diagrams of some Polar equations and did some questions about converting between Polar and Cartesian forms. Slightly confusing but I'll get there I hope!

Study period 2: Was supposed to do more stats work in this but got too distracted by my phone :colondollar: I made a couple more notes on the standard normal distribution but it was hardly anything new, and did a bit of reading, and that was about it :redface:

After school: I have a Physics test tomorrow on Magnetic Fields which I am going to absolutely BOMB :biggrin:. I tried to do some revision tonight, worked through about the first page of the section in the revision guide before getting bored and stopping, not picking anything up afterwards :erm: So I'm absolutely failing this test tomorrow as I know sweet nothing about Magnetic Fields :yy: bring it on tbh

Thanks to everyone for being so supportive of me :grouphugs: really means a lot! I appreciate you guys loads and it's the kind messages that you all leave that really motivate me and keep me going, you're the best :heart: hope you've all had a good day and get some good sleep! (I'll be going to bed soon I promise :colondollar:)

I love pesto but not a pesto explosion! :frown: Hate 2nd order differential equations - all is fine until the solving equations by substitution comes to bite me in the brain! Good luck for your physics test! I hate fields :s-smilie: Or to put it short, I'm just not a huge fan of all the topics you're doing at the moment loool :colondollar:
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
I love pesto but not a pesto explosion! :frown: Hate 2nd order differential equations - all is fine until the solving equations by substitution comes to bite me in the brain! Good luck for your physics test! I hate fields :s-smilie: Or to put it short, I'm just not a huge fan of all the topics you're doing at the moment loool :colondollar:

It wasn’t pretty - I even smelled slightly like pesto all day tbh :colondollar: (but yes pesto is amazing when it’s in your food and not on your clothes :yes:)
I find 2nd order the same! All fine but the substitutions come around and I’m like whaaaa? First order are ghastly though, sketching the curves and my brain just stops :redface:
I despise fields, especially magnetic :frown: and don’t worry I hate everything I’m doing at the moment too :lol: struggling to motivate myself because of it, everything is so uninteresting :sigh:
Good luck for your test if it hasn't already happened :rave:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Good luck for your test if it hasn't already happened :rave:

I was bad and skipped it :sad:
I was bad and skipped it :sad:

Dw lovely :penguinhug: Only a message away if you need me! Am free all day if you need to talk :hugs:
Dw lovely :penguinhug: Only a message away if you need me! Am free all day if you need to talk :hugs:

It was nothing deep really, just didn’t (and still don’t) feel well :grumble:
It was nothing deep really, just didn’t (and still don’t) feel well :grumble:

Sending lots of squishy TLG hugs from here! Not feeling well sucks :frown:
Sending lots of squishy TLG hugs from here! Not feeling well sucks :frown:

:hugs: it really does :frown: hoping I make a full recovery overnight haha
:hugs: it really does :frown: hoping I make a full recovery overnight haha

Fingers crossed :hugs:
Congrats on your offer :biggrin: I will be rooting for you and I hope you recover soon :smile:
Update for 17/01/2018 - Inconvenient Illness...

Holaaaaaa everyone! Sorry it's so late, need to pass the time and realised I hadn't updated today yet :colondollar: Hope you've all had a good day :smile:

Today hasn't been very eventful really. I woke up at 6:15 after a very small amount of sleep with an absolutely pounding headache and completely exhausted. I knew I wasn't really in a fit state to go in so I decided to take the day off and just stay in bed. I didn't manage to fall back asleep annoyingly so I took some ibuprofen for my head and it started to ease, so I thought I should probably go in for double maths if nothing else (it was 8:20am by this point so I would've missed my Physics test anyway and couldn't be bothered going for my second lesson if not the first). So I reluctantly got up and ready and headed off to school for some reason. :confused:

Maths (double): Ohhh the joys of double stats :burnout: this lesson was just a bit crap tbh. I spent the first hour or so on Normal Distribution, making some last little notes (still no pictures yet, sorry!) and then doing some questions from the textbook, which I got right :thumbsup: After this my teacher tried moving us onto the Estimation chapter but by this point I was too out of it to really focus on anything so I just zoned out until the end really. :erm:

After school: After I'd got home I still hadn't miraculously stopped feeling tired, my head still hurt and my neck decided to join in too just for the fun of it :sad:. Once a parcel I'd been expecting had arrived I went upstairs for a nap (honestly, don't know what it is with me and napping on Wednesdays :s-smilie:) which was only meant to be like an hour tops - ended up being 3 hours and I woke up not knowing whether it was Wednesday or Thursday! :lol:

I had meant to get some work done but it's now 11:55pm and I've not got started so that's that written off. I'll have to do my Physics homework in my free tomorrow, as well as the rest of my Further Maths homework, but I have got some time at lunch to finish that if I don't manage to get it all done.

I'll be sleeping shortly - have to make it to midnight though as it's my birthday tomorrow! :yay: So hopefully tomorrow's update will be more celebratory (and hopefully I'm less tired and in pain too!)

Until tomorrow everyone! :wavey:

Wednesday Watchers

HAPPY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :party: :woo: :yay: :danceboy: :awesome:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
:party: :party:

also, hope you're no longer in pain..
Happy Birthday @Protostar ! :woo:

Hope you are feeling better, and have a good day today :smile:
Oooh HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! It was mine yesterday :birthday::rave:
@Protostar Happy birthday! :party:
I hope you have a lovely day! :cake:
HAPPY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :party: :woo: :yay: :danceboy: :awesome:

Original post by nyxnko_
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
:party: :party:

also, hope you're no longer in pain..

Original post by Labrador99
Happy Birthday @Protostar ! :woo:

Hope you are feeling better, and have a good day today :smile:

Original post by Kirri01
Oooh HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! It was mine yesterday :birthday::rave:

Original post by Matrix123
@Protostar Happy birthday! :party:
I hope you have a lovely day! :cake:

Thank you everyone! I've had an amaaaaazing day and am thankfully feeling much better today! :dance:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending