The Student Room Group
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Bucks New University - 2018 applicants

Hi everyone,

I know term has only just started again for the year, but I just wanted to remind you that UCAS is now open for applications for 2018 entry.

If you have any questions about Bucks, making your application, or any of the courses we offer, just drop me a line and I'll be happy to help.

We've also got open days coming up over the next few months, so why not come and see for yourself what Bucks is like!

Laura

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
07596322818 please if u can get back to me I will really appreciate it because I've got couple of questions I really need help with to be able to complete my application.
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe
Original post by Manira
07596322818 please if u can get back to me I will really appreciate it because I've got couple of questions I really need help with to be able to complete my application.

Hi @Manira

Thanks for your message, we'll give you a call today. What course are you interested in studying with us?

Laura
Hello, am an international student from Nigeria and I applied to bucks university for the adult nursing feb 2018 intake through UCAS, I applied over 2 weeks ago and I am yet to get any response from the school yet, how long does it take to get a response from the school. Thanks.
Original post by Olaoluwakitan
Hello, am an international student from Nigeria and I applied to bucks university for the adult nursing feb 2018 intake through UCAS, I applied over 2 weeks ago and I am yet to get any response from the school yet, how long does it take to get a response from the school. Thanks.

Hi there,

We do receive a really high volume of applications for this course so there may be a bit of a delay - can you send me a PM with your name and UCAS personal ID number and I'll look in to this for you?

Thanks

Laura
Hello Laura, am yet to hear from you.
Original post by Olaoluwakitan
Hello Laura, am yet to hear from you.

Hi there,

I don't seem to have received a message from you with your full name and ID number? Can you confirm where you sent this, and resend?

Many thanks

Laura
Reply 7
Original post by Bucks New University
Hi everyone,

I know term has only just started again for the year, but I just wanted to remind you that UCAS is now open for applications for 2018 entry.

If you have any questions about Bucks, making your application, or any of the courses we offer, just drop me a line and I'll be happy to help.

We've also got open days coming up over the next few months, so why not come and see for yourself what Bucks is like!

Laura

Hello, i am intersted in your aniamtion and visual effects course. I wanted to ask if you have any placement opportunities and how strict you are with the portfolios Are you highly demanding?

Thanks!
Original post by Pietras
Hello, i am intersted in your aniamtion and visual effects course. I wanted to ask if you have any placement opportunities and how strict you are with the portfolios Are you highly demanding?

Thanks!

Hi @Pietras

Thanks for your message and apologies for the delay in a reply!

The University is currently closed due to the Christmas break, so I don't have the information to hand about the portfolio requirements and any placement opportunities.

I'll look into this when I'm back in on Tuesday, and will drop you a line with further information as soon as I can.

Best wishes

Laura
Original post by Pietras

Thanks!

Hi @Pietras

Apologies again for the delay in a reply!

I've just heard back from the course leader and he has advised that we don't have guaranteed placements, however opportunities for internships, work experience and freelance work do arise during the year, which course leaders will pass on to students. You will also be encouraged to enter competitions, and these are a good way of opening and raising your profile. This year our students claimed first and second place in one of the categories at 'Grads at Games', and another student recently got a job with DNEG who had noticed his work on Rookies.

Overall we are very industry / employment focused and we've also got a great Careers and Employability team who will support you in finding employment, even after you've graduated!

In terms of your portfolio, we don't focus on life drawing as much as some institutions do - if you do have any experience of this then it's a bonus rather than an expectation. Instead we are looking to see a working commitment, passion and understanding of one or more of the subjects of art / media / 3D / photography / animation / vfx - but not necessarily all of them together!

Your portfolio could include 3D work, work in After Effects or Premiere, a web portfolio, or photos of hand drawn work.

I hope this helps - but please do contact me if you have any other questions!

Good luck with your application

Laura
Reply 10
Thank you for your reply.I just have one more question if you don't mind. Is it possible for you to show some successful portfolios of students from the course? This would really help and get a glimpse of what to aim for.Thank you again.
Original post by Pietras
Thank you for your reply.I just have one more question if you don't mind. Is it possible for you to show some successful portfolios of students from the course? This would really help and get a glimpse of what to aim for.Thank you again.

Hi @Pietras

I don't really have access to any student portfolios - I can contact the course leader to see if this is something any of his students can provide?

We have social media channels for our animation courses which do show some examples of work - you may find these interesting:

Bucks Animation Blog
Bucks Animation Facebook
Bucks Animation Instagram

I hope this helps! Do let me know if there's anything else you need.

Laura
Reply 12
Hello,
I have applied to "Independent games production" in your university and have few questions.

As I got 5/5 unconditional offers, I'm considering taking your uni as my firm/insurance, but would like to know what your university can offer me in education area, that other universities can't offer for students like me that come from EU.

If I'l finish this course and decide to work with a company is it still possible?

And will I have to attend an interview after submitting my results?

As scrolling down the forum, I found that you have mentioned that "Independent" course offer less programming than the game development, so my question is, if I got an offer from "Independent" theres no chance for me transferring to "Game Development" course? I'am curious because, I prefer to learn more about programming and I see that the requirements are the same?

Thanks

P.s Where are located the dorms? Because I wanted to check the travel time from the dorm to the university.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Gordis
Hello,
I have applied to "Independent games production" in your university and have few questions.

As I got 5/5 unconditional offers, I'm considering taking your uni as my firm/insurance, but would like to know what your university can offer me in education area, that other universities can't offer for students like me that come from EU.

If I'l finish this course and decide to work with a company is it still possible?

And will I have to attend an interview after submitting my results?

As scrolling down the forum, I found that you have mentioned that "Independent" course offer less programming than the game development, so my question is, if I got an offer from "Independent" theres no chance for me transferring to "Game Development" course? I'am curious because, I prefer to learn more about programming and I see that the requirements are the same?

Thanks

P.s Where are located the dorms? Because I wanted to check the travel time from the dorm to the university.

Hi @Gordis

Thanks for your message - congratulations on your offer to study with us!

We have loads of EU students studying at Bucks so you definitely won't be alone here! What country are you from?

As a student you'll be able to use our three dedicated games labs here on campus, so you'll learn all the skills you will need to set you up for work in the industry. Many of our graduates have gone on to work in the games industry, or in conventional software development so there are lots of options for you if you don't know the exact path you want to go down yet. We've got a great careers and employability team that can help you to look for work, help you with CV writing and interview techniques etc. They can also support you once you have graduated which is great!

You will not need to attend an interview for the course - we base our offers on your qualifications and grades, so if you hold an unconditional offer with us then your place is guaranteed with us!

In terms of swapping between courses, this shouldn't be a problem. If this is something you would like to do before you start with us, then please contact our admissions team and they will be able to swap your application over. If you would like to change courses once you have already started with us this shouldn't be too much of a problem, but you would need to request this with the course leader.

You could have a look at our Games Development Facebook page for examples of student work - this gets updated after each year.

Our accommodation is very close to the university (and guaranteed for all first year students!) If you would like to stay in our halls of residence we have three options available to you - Brook Street is a five minute walk (mainly shared kitchen and bathrooms), Windsor House is also about a five minute walk (en suite rooms with shared kitchen, or en suite studio rooms). Hughenden halls are around a 15 minute walk from campus (again en suite with shared kitchen, or en suite studio rooms). You can find more information about our accommodation options and view virtual tours on our website. If halls of residence aren't for you, we can also assist you in finding housing in the private sector.

And finally, just a bit about Bucks! We're located in High Wycombe, which is around 30 minutes on the fast train to London. We also have Reading, Oxford and Birmingham all within easy reach, so there are lots of opportunities for work experience and we have great industry connections too.

Our Students' Union has been ranked in the top 10 in the UK, and we have loads of clubs and societies and activities for you to get involved with that are all completely free. Why not have a look at our Students' Union web page to find out more about what you can get involved with!

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions. I am also happy to send you the email address of the course leader if you would like to ask him any specific questions about the course?

Good luck with your decision, and we hope to welcome you here in September!

Laura
Reply 14
Original post by Bucks New University
Hi @Gordis

Thanks for your message - congratulations on your offer to study with us!

We have loads of EU students studying at Bucks so you definitely won't be alone here! What country are you from?

As a student you'll be able to use our three dedicated games labs here on campus, so you'll learn all the skills you will need to set you up for work in the industry. Many of our graduates have gone on to work in the games industry, or in conventional software development so there are lots of options for you if you don't know the exact path you want to go down yet. We've got a great careers and employability team that can help you to look for work, help you with CV writing and interview techniques etc. They can also support you once you have graduated which is great!

You will not need to attend an interview for the course - we base our offers on your qualifications and grades, so if you hold an unconditional offer with us then your place is guaranteed with us!

In terms of swapping between courses, this shouldn't be a problem. If this is something you would like to do before you start with us, then please contact our admissions team and they will be able to swap your application over. If you would like to change courses once you have already started with us this shouldn't be too much of a problem, but you would need to request this with the course leader.

You could have a look at our Games Development Facebook page for examples of student work - this gets updated after each year.

Our accommodation is very close to the university (and guaranteed for all first year students!) If you would like to stay in our halls of residence we have three options available to you - Brook Street is a five minute walk (mainly shared kitchen and bathrooms), Windsor House is also about a five minute walk (en suite rooms with shared kitchen, or en suite studio rooms). Hughenden halls are around a 15 minute walk from campus (again en suite with shared kitchen, or en suite studio rooms). You can find more information about our accommodation options and view virtual tours on our website. If halls of residence aren't for you, we can also assist you in finding housing in the private sector.

And finally, just a bit about Bucks! We're located in High Wycombe, which is around 30 minutes on the fast train to London. We also have Reading, Oxford and Birmingham all within easy reach, so there are lots of opportunities for work experience and we have great industry connections too.

Our Students' Union has been ranked in the top 10 in the UK, and we have loads of clubs and societies and activities for you to get involved with that are all completely free. Why not have a look at our Students' Union web page to find out more about what you can get involved with!

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions. I am also happy to send you the email address of the course leader if you would like to ask him any specific questions about the course?

Good luck with your decision, and we hope to welcome you here in September!

Laura

Thanks for your reply!

I'm from Lithuania.

Would be great to ask some questions from course leader. :smile:

P.s I have few additional questions.

As my requirement is "achieve English in the Atestatas at a miniumum
of grade 8" I'm not sure if I' be able to score "8". What will happen if I won't able to score it? Will I have to take IELTS f.e?

And as I applied for foundation year, is there any chance to know if I'm available to start my study in year 1 instantly if I score these/better results?

Thanks for your 2 reply's once again, started to consider choosing Bucks as my firm choice :smile:
Original post by Gordis
Thanks for your reply!

I'm from Lithuania.

Would be great to ask some questions from course leader. :smile:

P.s I have few additional questions.

As my requirement is "achieve English in the Atestatas at a miniumum
of grade 8" I'm not sure if I' be able to score "8". What will happen if I won't able to score it? Will I have to take IELTS f.e?

And as I applied for foundation year, is there any chance to know if I'm available to start my study in year 1 instantly if I score these/better results?

Thanks for your 2 reply's once again, started to consider choosing Bucks as my firm choice :smile:

Hi @Gordis

No problem, I will send you a private message with the course leader email address shortly.

I've just checked with our admissions team about your English, they said if you do not achieve the grade 8 in your Atestatas then there are still options for you - we do our own in house English testing, or you may need to complete IELTS. The best thing to do would be to contact the admissions team once you have achieved your results and they will be able to advise you about your next steps at that point depending on your results.

If you do achieve the grades or better then we would be able to consider you to go straight into year one of the degree rather than taking the foundation year - once you have achieved your results you will need to send these to the admissions team and request to start the degree at year one and they will be able to look at this for you.

Let me know if there's anything else you need to know! :smile:

Laura
Hello,

I have received and confirmed my unconditional offer to study Computing with Foundation Year
Bucks is great. I have just completed my degree there. Good luck.
Original post by EricM2195
Hello,

I have received and confirmed my unconditional offer to study Computing with Foundation Year

Hi @EricM2195

Congratulations on your unconditional offer!

Where will you be joining us from? Are you local or coming from somewhere further afield? Is there anything you'd like to know before joining us?

We look forward to welcoming you!

Laura
Hi,

I am coming from Tiptree, Essex

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending